BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around and could not find anything close to what I am hearing.

Maybe what I am hearing is "normal"?

I have a very slight high pitch whine/singing noise from the power steering only when in Sport mode.

I only seem to hear it when in Sport mode when stopped or parking, cannot really hear it when driving

Maybe I should turn the Sport mode off when parking, but a few times I have forgot and noticed this high pitch whine/singing.

Just curious if this is something that is "normal" or am I headed to repairs sometime soon?

Anyone's thoughts, suggestions or expierences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, although i think mine does it even with sport off. I always hear it when i'm parking at the office in our enclosed garage and everything echos. It is a bit concerning though, it sounds like the power steering pump is working extremely hard.

·
Registered
935 Posts
When was the last fluid change. I had some noise tho not high pitched but went away after a flush.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure when the fluid was last changed, however, it looks very clean and red, not brown and burnt.

I probably need to check the fluid again just to see where the level it, but it was fine at last check a few weeks ago.

The noise is not like a laboring power steering pump, but almost like an electric fuel pump sound, high frequency, faint whine.

I realize there is some valve switching for the steering pump? while in Sport mode, so this may just be a characteristic of these cars??

Will see if there are other similiar comments before I get to wrapped up over this.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have this too but I have read that some whine is normal in sport mode at low speeds. There are a few threads on it and you can get a louder whine from the pump when it's going bad but I am thinking you would hear some gear noise then too. Apparently a lot of people have had it from early on. Maybe a long time owner who has posted about it before can chime in.

I had some leaky hoses so I did a complete flush, replaced the hoses, filter/reservoir and it got a little quieter but didn't go away. I will worry about it if it changes or I hear groaning too.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've got the whine, too.

I always drive in Sport mode. I hear the whine making turns at 5-10 MPH. I changed my power steering fluid a few months ago (it looked good) and put in Mobil1 ATF. Still have the whine. No PS fluid leaks either. I'm resigned to live with the whine for the time being.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts