BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine whines a bit but not enough to justify the $620 admission cost of a replacement! What the hell makes this (amongst all the other over priced bits) worth this kind of coin? Hell the 540i one is even more, and i'm not sure if they even have the two speed "sport" steering (which is just a solonoid valve somewhere i'm sure)...

Does anyone know of a rebuild source, or place where i can send mine to get rebuilt?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flushed pretty good but...

I did the turkey baster routine, never really emptied the pump itself, when you say leaks, do you think if there is no fluid escaping there may still be leaks? I see a weekend project...Sure hope you are right i can use 6 hundo elsewhere...Circuit board in my boat's auto pilot just cost that as a matter of fact...Not to mention the upcoming service on my twin caterpillars UGH...

·
Registered
450 Posts
+1 on the pin hole leaks

Both lines from my PS resevoir were damp where they connected to the PS pump and PS cooler. Not enough to cause a puddle on the floor or anything, but definately some type of pinhole leak. Swapped both those out and all noise is gone so check those over carefully. In my case wasn't a gusher so I didn't even notice until I had the belly pan off for something else.

I'm with you on $600+ being a joke for a PS pump. The servotronic valve is actually back on the steering box so I don't think the pump even has any special parts related to the speed sensitive steering.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mine started whining last year. A fairly significant whine, felt thru the steering wheel and all below 2k rpm. Finally got tired of it and took a gamble on an Ebay used pump. It didnt come with any guarantees but was $95 shipped. Changed it out, flushed the system and now it's perfect. Gamble paid off. Give it a try if else fails...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts