BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week on my way to work I suddenly got the transmission malfunction message with yellow cog. Car went directly into D and limp mode. I pulled over and turned the car off then back on, hoping it would reset things. Malfunction message went away and I got back on the road, however there was a massive delay when shifting into gears. I pulled over again and tried to power cycle the car and the car would not start at all. Had it towed to my indy and after diagnosing I was told that the power steering pump is going out and because it is linked to the SMG it caused the transmission malfunction. I have never heard of this happening. Has anyone else, does this sound legit? They want 2k to replace the power steering pump and I was told that he won't know if this caused damage to the SMG pump until after they replace the power steering pump....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Last week on my way to work I suddenly got the transmission malfunction message with yellow cog. Car went directly into D and limp mode. I pulled over and turned the car off then back on, hoping it would reset things. Malfunction message went away and I got back on the road, however there was a massive delay when shifting into gears. I pulled over again and tried to power cycle the car and the car would not start at all. Had it towed to my indy and after diagnosing I was told that the power steering pump is going out and because it is linked to the SMG it caused the transmission malfunction. I have never heard of this happening. Has anyone else, does this sound legit? They want 2k to replace the power steering pump and I was told that he won't know if this caused damage to the SMG pump until after they replace the power steering pump....

While both the SMG pump and the power steering pump use the same CHF-11S fluid, I’m highly doubtful the two systems are physically linked to each other. The SMG pump reservoir is on the transmission itself on the left side while the P/S reservoir is in the engine bay on the right side near the DME/electronic box. I can’t recall any kind of line physically sharing between the two systems. I’d ask your indy what kind of error codes/faults he’s seeing and make a further diagnosis from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
There's no physical connection between the SMG hydraulic system and the power steering hydraulic system.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am no expert but, I don't see any relation to the two systems. I am waiting for JColley to chime in on this one. I call BS, but crazier things have happened.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I am no expert but, I don't see any relation to the two systems. I am waiting for JColley to chime in on this one. I call BS, but crazier things have happened.
I did on his FB post. Absolute zero relation.

ISTA diagnostics say he has a faulty mechanic and needs to replace it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts