BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's a rare one....

Driving home from getting pizza... hot pies on the seat.

Battery light comes on, Power steering goes away.... 'Uh Oh' I think, 'belt'.... What is surprising because I replaced both around 5k ago.

Then coolant temp starts ramping up, along with oil temp... and I know I can't make it home.

So I pop the hood, and lo and behold, the belt looks great!... looks good, but is most definitely flopping about loose. I am trying to see why, when I see the power steering pump pulley just limply flopping up and down when I move the belt all the way at the bottom of the engine bat. But no fluid leaks- so not a classic 'pump failure/explosion'. I figure when it was last worked on (under CPO) someone perhaps failed to fully tighten it... and no matter what, I figure this is clearly a failure that will be covered by the CPO.

Call the wife, park the car in a safe spot... she comes and gets me an we go home and eat.

(**I** have my priorities right! ...and, I will declare here and now, the two slices that looked to be missing from the combo pie when we got home just seemed that way because the box musta been jostled..)

Call BMW roadside. This is 9:30PM Friday night. They inform me that the service provider will 'store the car at their secure facility over night'.. Uh uh... not happening. I tell them either tow it to the dealer or to my house then the dealer in the AM. After a while they confirm they can drop it at the dealership tonight.

I meet them there. I'm going to be an anal-retentive AH and follow them down and offload, so as to leave a note for the SA- and make sure all is well.

Which is good, as the tow driver hauls out two hooks to grab ahold of the suspension. I say nothing, but install the tow bolt. He says nothing, but puts away the suspension hooks and uses a regular snatch hook in the tow bolt.

Arrive at the dealer, drop the car, toss the driver $5, leave the key in the envelope with the note.

Called the SA a few minutes ago-

Turns out that it is the BRACKET that holds the PS pump. Not the pump.

Unfortunately, there is no bracket in the USA...closest is in Germany apparently.

Of course a new PS pump comes with a new bracket, and I suspect that on Monday BMW regional will make the right call and go for a pump with bracket instead of paying for a loaner car for 2-3 weeks while we await the german shipment.

I saw only ONE other mention of a PS bracket failure (July 2005) so thought I'd add mine.

96,300 miles..gotta love a CPO

A

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I miss my warranty:M5rev:

·
10,456 Posts
that's an odd one...
fwiw, your dealer can get parts from germany by air in 2-3 days. My parts guy has done that for me in the past with some obscure e34 stuff. That said, i'd rather get the pump if there's any chance, just to have a new one!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You only gave the toe truck driver 5 bucks? :nono: Did you are least give him some pizza? Cheapskate!!:hihi::hihi::1::1::cheers:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ard, exactly where is this bracket located? When I took my car to an indy for an oil change a couple of days ago, they pointed out the bracket that holds the oil filter housing and I guess the power steering reservoir? is broken. The break-point is right under the oil filter canister held by two bolts leaving the oil filter canister hanging freely. Its still beyound me how the bracket can snap from just driving the car. It appears that a significant ammount of pressure had to have been applied on the oil filter housing in order for the bracket to snap. I am going back to the indy later today. I have a feeling one of the techs broke my bracket during an oil change.

Vic

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 5 and a 20 in my pocket (and the pizza was long gone!). He was 20 minutes late, AND he was going to use suspension hooks. Oh, and I had to tell him to release the tension on the toe hook going to the bumper tow eye after he strapped the wheels down- he was going to let the car bounce around teathered by this single cable! I decided on the 5.... definitely less than usual.

Vic- PS pump is at the bottom of the engine, perhaps 4" up from the plastic pan covering the bottom of the engine.

On your filter bracket: I agree that the bracket doesn't just 'break'... just like oil pan drain bolts don't just 'strip'... all on their own. It's worth a discussion, but unless they confess you're SOL.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Why wouldnt they just take a bracket off of a pump in stock and then replace it once the next bracket arrives?

This has happened to a roadfly member with a 540i which had underdrive pulleys. Not likely that the pulleys had anything to do with it. Once the pump seizes, its going to be a problem regardless.

Reactions: Dguthrie

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed. $50 CPO

I'm guessing they didn't want to take a bracket off a complete pump (and replace it with the new bracket) since that would make the pump a 'hybrid' of old and new parts...

New pump, new belt.

and got to catch up a bit with some of the guys there...good guys.

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
146k miles. The PS pump just failed. ATF pouring out the shaft seal!

New parts headed to the house, but stranded 150 miles from home. Given the pump is toast I am tempted to drive it..... Worse case is I get part way, sieze the pump and shread a belt...then call AAA.

Thoughts?

A

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Do you have 200 miles AAA?
I would just call first if so.. no need to risk it..

Reactions: noodlesandsam

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, I just looked it up and I do have the 200 mile tow. (I thought it was 100.) Looks like I'll be spending 3 hours with my new best friend Wilbur tomorrow afternoon....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Very good very good..
I once made xbox live friends with my tow tuck driver after driving 5 hours when my waterpump blew on my old 93 525i!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
You WILL request for a flatbed right?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
^^ really? I figured he could lift it from the rear and drag it on the front wheels the 150 miles home....you're saying that's not a good idea???

:)
A

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
hiha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts