BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.6 has had SLS deleted following the Bavauto procedure and unfortunatelly after two months of intermitent use the power steering pump was not working correctly.

Two days ago the pump gasket set (32411134836) was changed by myself and, after installing the rebuilt pump the noise went out, dissapears for a few hours.... and then the whining noise appears again!!!!!!!!!

The steering pump it is not bleeding itself and it is making again a whining noise all the time. Power steering fluid looks like boiling in the reservoir, not for the temperature but the huge amount of bubbles....the fluid looks circulating in the system producing the bubbles.

My technician tells me that is a very complicarted procedure to bleed the system after dissambling the pump. Is he right?.
Does the pump has to self bleed?

Maybe the Hydro steering box needs to be rebuilt too? :dunno:

Please agradezco cualquier ayuda!!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just turn the steering wheel full left and right a few times and that drives the air out.

You may want to check out some of the SLS/LAD bypass methods recommended here too. I think the BAV auto one is a simple block off system rather then a disable/bypass.

Reactions: ccazenav

·
Registered
116 Posts
The bav auto procedure is a recipe for disaster.

Cut the sls supply line to the rear and use a short section of 7mm fuel hose to tie it immediately back to the reservoir. This will eliminate any load or pressure on the sls side of the pump. There are other ways to go about this if you don't want to cut the lines.

It takes a while to bleed the system of all the air and with the lad non functional, it might never get fully bled. Last time I did any major work - due to a failed line resulting from the bav auto lad delete procedure, it too several tries to get all of the air out even with the lad lines eliminated. Bleed, bleed and re bleed. Slowly cranking the wheel from lock to lock is all you need to do. Stop and wait if the fluid gets to frothy or you'll just suck air back in... Nothing complicated about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you a lot, could you please tell me where to dfind thoses other ways to go without the cutting?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks you a lot, could you please tell me where to dfind thoses other ways to go without the cutting?
You can disbale the LAD/SLS pump by removing the pump pistons and blocking off the outlet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ups, ok, I´ll open the S. Pump this weekend. Thank you very much in advance.
By the way, the pump pistons I´ve to remove are the ones placed at the rear part of the pump? Any pictures will be appreciated!
Again, thank you!

·
Registered
763 Posts
ups, ok, I´ll open the S. Pump this weekend. Thank you very much in advance.
By the way, the pump pistons I´ve to remove are the ones placed at the rear part of the pump? Any pictures will be appreciated!
Again, thank you!
These are the ones under the caps with the X on them. remove those caps and take out the pistion and spring, then replace the cap with a new O ring, block off the outlet and you are done.

there is a write up on the board somewhere.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Excellent help, thanks you all. This is the forum is all about. A+++
just dont forget giving us the feedback if it worked out or not, and if you make a how to more accurate than the other one, that was not completed, it will really help people in the future... :cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hola Amigo mio: Here is a list:

1.- New pair of rear shock absorber
2.- Used pair of rear spring (in my case)
3.- Self leveling elimination kit (Part # : SLELIM KIT-E34M) sold by bavauto.com
4.- http://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins254.pdf
5.- and a lot of work, aprox 4 labor hours.

After a while, I´d to do a little job at the steering pump, I had to remove the steering pump and disable the part which send the oil pressure to rear shocks (very easy job to do thanks to your post - M5 Power Steering Mod - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/135378-m5-power-steering-mod.html).

Please let me know how are you doing.
Regards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I removed the accumulators and shock absorbers, the rest of the pipes where left on place, just placed a cap on it. Now the car run like new. Even the annoying whining noise of the steering pump disappeared completely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just dont forget giving us the feedback if it worked out or not, and if you make a how to more accurate than the other one, that was not completed, it will really help people in the future... :cheers:
Everything was just like planned!!!!!, I follow the instructions posted by you mr. pspassos and now the car runs great :biggrinbounce:.

Now I have to solve the mistery of the fuse 19 and the lack of power after 4.5k rpm´s.

Thank a lot. This forum is great. million ton of knowledge at one click!!!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thank you very much ccazenav!
It was of great help for me to read what you have written!

I will do just the same, first eliminate/by-pass the SLS system leaving it there, and once everything is working correctly with the new suspension, OBC messages removed etc, than go trough the power steering pump modification....

·
Registered
51 Posts
may i ask was it difficult removing those screw caps (to remove the piston/spring) off the p/s pump? what did u use to remove them? i plan on removing them on the spare p/s pump i picked up when I do a rebuild.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts