BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have another issue, My power steering. When decelerating and making a u-turn or hard turn that requires full lock or close to full lock, My power steering cuts off (No assistance, It gets very firm and difficult to continue the turn.). It disappears immediately afterwards. It happens on both left and right turns. Its really dangerous. I have been looking for a pump, But someone said it sounds like a slipping belt. What is your opinion? I am going on a 1500 mile road trip on thursday and would love to get the car fixed before then. Thanks everyone.

Edit: My PS lines have all been replaced as has my fluid.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
You might try replacing your reservoir first, as it contains filters than can get clogged. Absent that, it's either the pump or the steering box, probably the pump.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Sounds like a pump but if you want to rule out the reservoir I still have my old one. The cap leaks but it is not clogged.

Does it happen with/without Sport? Both? If both then does that point at the pump and not the gearbox? I am just thinking out loud here, someone with more knowledge of the system might know right away what the problem is.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone.

BrendanSC I sent you a pm. Please give me a call.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my car. I did some research last year about it, which pointed to the pump failing. But, I have not done anything to fix it, due to the high cost of the pump.
I wouldn't postpone a roadtrip because of it, personally.
Hadn't thought about the reservoir, please post your findings when you get the reservoir changed.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my car. I did some research last year about it, which pointed to the pump failing. But, I have not done anything to fix it, due to the high cost of the pump.
I wouldn't postpone a roadtrip because of it, personally.
Hadn't thought about the reservoir, please post your findings when you get the reservoir changed.
Hey Shaun,

If the reservoir ends up being the problem, let me know, I have an OEM reservoir you can have..

Steve

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have had mine do the sudden loss of assistance, I have only ever noticed it in very slow hard lock turns, steering around the car park at work. Never noticed it in Sport mode, I rarely use that at the mo.

No noise to accompany it either. My pattern seems to be high demand on the assistance at low revs/idle, have suspected possibly pump.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have had mine do the sudden loss of assistance, I have only ever noticed it in very slow hard lock turns, steering around the car park at work. Never noticed it in Sport mode, I rarely use that at the mo.

No noise to accompany it either. My pattern seems to be high demand on the assistance at low revs/idle, have suspected possibly pump.
Mine does the same but only and only in the summer when it's very hot ....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Well I can safely say mine does it when very cold, it's only the last few days of owning the car that the temp has been above 10 degs C. My thermo is busted so the car is running cool. All in all, happens on mine when cold. Has done it when both setting off from work, cold and only just started, and when getting to work work, warm and been running 20-25 minutes.

Only common factor is low revs/low load on the engine and tight turns, asking most from the pump while it has the least crank.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I can 'beat' the steering on quick hard turns at idle-revs.

I always say to do the cheapest and easiest stuff first so I'd get that fluid reservour off and see if you can clean the filters out. Then it can only really be the pump. I have a few spare parts but I don't think a pump is one of them, sorry :(

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much to BrendanSC for the parts!

I changed out the reservoir. No luck issue is still there. I am picking up a low milage used pump tonight for a killer deal. We will see if that fixes it.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update.

I pulled my pump out and the pulley was cracked and starting to disintegrate. I am lucky I caught this before the pulley completely fell apart and destroyed the belt.

I replaced my pump with a low mile used unit. So far the car feels MUCH better. I have only put about 10 miles on it. I need to drive more but so far it seems as though a new pump solved my issues. :haha:

Cheers, :cheers:
Rhino

Reactions: noxcape

·
Registered
210 Posts
Congratulations Rhino, now you can actually drive to the meet this weekend!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts