BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the power steering unit 'rebuilt' by a local INDY ( independent shop) after two others said it couldn't be done. But, it never was that much better afterwards...ie. hard steering during parking unless I revved the engine....power steering would return. Also flushed with correct new fluid and filter. months later its worse than ever! its moaning horribly and there is small leak at the base of one of the hoses at the unit though there seems to be plenty of fluid in the reservoir. Help. I fear the unit needs to be replaced.....is this a common problem on these e34's??

I was amazed to learn that this unit is unique to this car....meaning, I didn't think it felt differently than in the 540's etc. I've heard the replacement is insanely high.....order from Germany only perhaps?

Found a aftermarket steering company 1991 BMW M5 Power Steering Gear Box from Car Steering Wholesale prices to $1500!!! :eek:h:

Anyone have any thoughts on how I might get one rebuilt ( if its possible to do it correctly assuming thats the true problem), or, can a competent mechanic put in a standard e34 steering box instead?

thoughts on this dilemma of mine?

1991 165k silver/silver 3/90 build

·
Registered
763 Posts
The same pump can be found in any car with self leveling from the same era... Try looking for E32 750il at the junk yard, this pump does not have the "M" tax.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob!!! thats encouraging to know there is another source for that steering box...but uh, how would I be able to tell if its any good before pulling it? :/

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bob is talking about the PAS pump, mounted on the front of the engine, driven by a pulley and belt from crank shaft.

It sounds like you are talking about the steering box, which is $$$$.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sorry, I was talking about the pump... iPhone screen is too small for this stuff!

But other E34 and E32 boxes will fit, but will not have the same ratio

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:(. I knew it was to be bucks....that's why I want to find a less expensive alternative, appreciate any info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts