BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
10,455 Posts
I think it's one of those things that only is 'supposed' to be replaced if you open up the system. I flushed mine out, using redline synthetic atf, due to a boil over problem on the track, with the stock fluid. I drained the reservoir with a topside oil changer, filled with synthetic, ran the car, turned the wheels a few times lock to lock and repeated the process with 2 quarts of fluid. No more boil over.
Mike

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Good info! Mine constantly boils over. I may try this. Do you run in Sport mode on the track (I'm sure you do, just asking). I would imagine the pump works harder with Sport "off".

·
10,455 Posts
Redshift said:
Good info! Mine constantly boils over. I may try this. Do you run in Sport mode on the track (I'm sure you do, just asking). I would imagine the pump works harder with Sport "off".
Hmm, that's an interesting thought. Less steering boost, may be less load on the pump, (or just some additional restriction in the system). I generally do not use sport, since doing the powerchip. I like the additional steering feel, but feel the throttle is too biased toward the first half of pedal travel in sport. It just seems more linear in 'normal' mode, so that's what i use.

Since doing the synthetic atf, and keeping the level at the low mark, i've had no boil over issues. I did do one other thing, i used some 1/8" drip irrigation tubing, and a 'barb fitting' from a drip irrigation kit. The barb fitting fits right into the vent hole in the top of the ps cap, and i've got a loop of maybe 24" of drip tubing to act as a catch for any vapor or overflow.
Mike

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sly dog, NICE thinking. I have yet another winter project ahead of me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There is always the crew sock trick for track use. An old crew sock will fit over the PS reservoir cap, and collect any fluid that escapes. Changing to Redline ATF essentially eliminated boil-over on my car.

Regards, Dick Roberts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts