BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I need to top mine off but I couldn't find anything in the owners manual or doing a search here. What is recommended?

·
Registered
759 Posts
It should be stamped on the reservoir cap, in the green band. Maybe yours is covered in dirt/oil. They tend to seep around the cap. It is Pentosin CHF-11S. The fluid is green in color.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went back to see how I could have possibly missed that. There is nothing green, fluid or otherwise, and nothing printed other than "ATF Oil Only". It is brown, no doubt about that. It must be ATF oil but what grade?

It should be stamped on the reservoir cap, in the green band. Maybe yours is covered in dirt/oil. They tend to seep around the cap. It is Pentosin CHF-11S. The fluid is green in color.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I went back to see how I could have possibly missed that. There is nothing green, fluid or otherwise, and nothing printed other than "ATF Oil Only". It is brown, no doubt about that. It must be ATF oil but what grade?
Sorry, your cap does not match mine! Hopefully, someone else can help with the grade of ATF oil. Here is a link to the Pentosin at O'Reilly Auto Parts, Pentosin CHF11S - Hydraulic System Fluid | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I went to my local BMW dealership and was told that the cap will tell you what fluid is needed: mine stated ATF and that is what I got.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I went to my local BMW dealership and was told that the cap will tell you what fluid is needed: mine stated ATF and that is what I got.
BMW only uses one cap (which has ATF molded into the top) and adds a green label to indicate CHF 11S, the outline of the missing label seems to be visible in your photo :eek7:
My 2007 M6 has the CHF 11S label, and that is what I have been using :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm not sure who you spoke to at the dealer but I think you have bad info. BMW does not use over the counter auto trans fluid for power steering or anything that I am awae of. Also the dynamic drive uses tthe same resovour. I would do some serious research before moving forward. I did a full fluid change aand everything I learned said CHF11 ONLY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts