BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats BMW's recommendation? I could'nt find anything in the manual. At 70k and dark brown in color I think Im due.
Also any idea on cost a dealer? 1hr + parts?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Not exactly sure, but sounds like now would be a good idea. With BMWs crappy power steering hoses, I'm surprised that you haven't replaced your PS fluid already while replacing the hoses!

You should PM AMP for a ballpark estimate - that way you will know you are not being overcharged. His shop is not cheap, but fair (for good work).

·
Registered
450 Posts
+1 on the now

Should be red, not brown. I did mine at 55k miles and it looked like coffee...I had the pump replaced probably 2-3yrs before so fluid was pretty fugly in that time period. I never did find any recommendation, but I plan on <2yr intervals going forward.

You may also want to have them take the resevoir off and back flush it since the internal filter cannot be replaced or just replace the resevoir since it comes w/ new filter and cap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For what its worth my M5 has been pretty annoying not tracking straight and seems to want to follow every depression in the road.....keeps you on your toes for sure at higher speeds (down right sucks). I took it in for alignment from BMW Bellevue....things were off quite a bit, it seemed to help but it still didn't solve the problem. I was about to order new tires when i noticed after having my car detailed that there seemed to be fresh fluid around the PS reservoir. Upon inspection it was nearly dry! (amazing the dealer didn't notice that when i bring the car in for problem with steering). Reading through the numerous threads i saw one about M5s being squirrely or following the ruts in the road when the PS was going out or low on fluid.
Topped off my fluid and wow what a difference! I would have otherwise never have known since there was no slack, noise, or trouble with my PS that i would have noticed there was a problem.
Now to find the leak....will likely just replace the reservoir and install proper hose clamps since thats where most of the fluid is coming from.
Anyhow hope this helps someone with the same problem with the vehicle tracking straight.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
So what's the proper draining procedure? Just open up the bottom of one (or both) of the hoses and let is all drain out?
What ATF do we use? Quantity?
And I presume when you refill you do the lock-to-lock technique to bleed it just like every other car?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I read the dextron III trans fluid rather than actual PS fluid so thats what i topped mine off with.

There was a really good DIY thread with pics someone posted (cant find it now without time looking) from someone that pulled their reservoir and pumped fresh fluid through until the coffee nasty looking stuff stopped coming out the other pipe and flowed red again.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

·
4,360 Posts
Whats BMW's recommendation? I could'nt find anything in the manual. At 70k and dark brown in color I think Im due.
Also any idea on cost a dealer? 1hr + parts?
according to BMW it is/was every 30,000 miles

here's BMW's Old School Maintenance schedule - it's a pretty good guide if you just don't care to keep track of maintenance history and just want structured intervals

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/167273-bmw-old-school-maintenance-schedule.html

since the ATF is <$10/Liter {and you only need like 1-liters or 1.5-liters (buy 2 and it will be more than enough)} i'd just change it on a whim or once a year when you remember and the front belly pan if off

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Should be red, not brown. I did mine at 55k miles and it looked like coffee...I had the pump replaced probably 2-3yrs before so fluid was pretty fugly in that time period. I never did find any recommendation, but I plan on <2yr intervals going forward.

You may also want to have them take the resevoir off and back flush it since the internal filter cannot be replaced or just replace the resevoir since it comes w/ new filter and cap.
That is a good idea...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i went ahead the changed the fluid, the tank , and 2 hoses. SInce i used M1 synthetic I'll prob change it every 3yrs going forward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts