BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, you get to a point where you've been working on cars for years, and you think you're good enough not to **** things up. :rolleyes:

Having assessed the situation, I decided to change the "other" two power steering hoses, the ones that /don't/ go to the reservoir. They go from the servotronic box, one to the cooling rail, and one to the pump. They are numbers 8 and 5 respectively on the diagram at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE91&mospid=47550&btnr=32_0927&hg=32&fg=20.

I set to work unbolting hose 5 from the pump. It is a 22mm banjo bolt, and it was tough to move. In fact, I had to get the breaker bar (I was gentle, honest!). I got it moving, but after a couple of turns, it didn't /feel/ right (and that's the /good/ side to having experience!).

I took a close look and shock horror, the banjo bolt was turning but the fitting in the pump, that the banjo bolt screws into, was turning with it, and was actually unscrewing from the pump! You can see what I mean on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE91&mospid=47550&btnr=32_1135&hg=32&fg=15.

To illustrate, the power steering pump is number 1 on that diagram and the fitting on it that was turning is about an inch up and to the right of the actual number 1.

So... I screwed it back in, /tightly/, and tomorrow I'll get a wrench on it while I turn the banjo bolt. But, the $6000000 question is...

Have I broken my power steering pump? *prays*

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think you'll be fine. I'm sure the piece that's coming out is just screwed in although I haven't taken that apart before.

I'm surprised though that you are planning to replace those tubes. Why not just replace the orings/crush washers there? The rubber hoses going to the reservoir are the real issues. Have you changed them out also?

On my E36, which is of similar design, I used some new high pressure hose with good hose clamps to resolve all my leaking powersteering system issues. Cost about $10

·
Registered
530 Posts
.... I used some new high pressure hose with good hose clamps to resolve all my leaking powersteering system issues. Cost about $10
Do you have a manufacturer or PN? I have PS leaks and do not want to replace the hoses with a known weak link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts