BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

Being that the M5 is my first rear wheel drive car, I'm a novice at the art of hanging the arse out.....

I have done it a couple of times so far, but always have the thought in the back of my head that I will "lose it" and cause some real damage.

So, i'm after some advice. What with winter and slipery roads here, I think this would be the ideal time to master the black art of the power slide.

Any tips??

Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
OK,

Being that the M5 is my first rear wheel drive car, I'm a novice at the art of hanging the arse out.....

I have done it a couple of times so far, but always have the thought in the back of my head that I will "lose it" and cause some real damage.

So, i'm after some advice. What with winter and slipery roads here, I think this would be the ideal time to master the black art of the power slide.

Any tips??

Steve
Keep the antipin on the car and your fine on the roads mate :1:

·
Registered
92 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
antipin???

You've lost me!
??????
The ESP button.. Dont touch it when starting the car.
This controls the rear wheels and in case it start to spins it will shut down the throttel bodies.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thomasserwin said:
The ESP button.. Dont touch it when starting the car.
This controls the rear wheels and in case it start to spins it will shut down the throttel bodies.
E34 M5's don't have any of that driver aid stuff mate.

The only thing controlling the rear wheels is my right foot!

:M5launch:

·
Registered
92 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
E34 M5's don't have any of that driver aid stuff mate.

The only thing controlling the rear wheels is my right foot!

:M5launch:
Ahh sorry thought you had a E39.
Well it is difficult telling you how to drive the car in the snow or on wet roads.

Just keep a soft foot and have good winther tires on the car.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
OK,

Any tips??

Steve
My advice would be don't in winter. When I got mine I did a few spins but fortunately didn't hit any curbs. Curbs cost £500 a wheel.

Try it on the track or some place without curbs.

It took me 6 months to get the art of pushing the arse out without spinning and then I found out that the rear tyres had lost grip. With new replacements the beast is now oversteering at extremes ( the way it should do ). To get oversteer now I have to use throttle and the speeds needed are very high ( very good grip ) and if I hit a curb it will be curtains to any wheel involved.

By all means keep pushing but only in the right places.

A friend of mine has a Ferrari 348 which has outrageous grip but has managed to spin his on the throttle a few times so the lesson is to experiment but be aware that the grip of an E34 M5 is huge so the speeds are huge.

? Get some older tyres and play ?

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
vadas1 said:
My advice would be don't in winter. When I got mine I did a few spins but fortunately didn't hit any curbs. Curbs cost £500 a wheel.

Try it on the track or some place without curbs.

It took me 6 months to get the art of pushing the arse out without spinning and then I found out that the rear tyres had lost grip. With new replacements the beast is now oversteering at extremes ( the way it should do ). To get oversteer now I have to use throttle and the speeds needed are very high ( very good grip ) and if I hit a curb it will be curtains to any wheel involved.

By all means keep pushing but only in the right places.

A friend of mine has a Ferrari 348 which has outrageous grip but has managed to spin his on the throttle a few times so the lesson is to experiment but be aware that the grip of an E34 M5 is huge so the speeds are huge.

? Get some older tyres and play ?

ralph (vadas1)
Yes I agree try this in a place with no kerbs, I hear airfields are good:M5thumbs: .
As you know also recently got my car, and next year I want to go on some skid pan training:cheers: . Where there is a nice safe area to play. Maybe we could organise something through the board for people in the UK.

Also remember that this is a large car once you get that metal in motion humm well I will let you do the calculations. Although getting it right, used to have an E30 M3 and that was fun, can be fantastic fun.

Not yet been brave enough with the car but as I get more knowledge about the car I am sure that I will be pressing the limits.

Simon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Simonal said:
Yes I agree try this in a place with no kerbs, I hear airfields are good:M5thumbs: .
As you know also recently got my car, and next year I want to go on some skid pan training:cheers: . Where there is a nice safe area to play. Maybe we could organise something through the board for people in the UK.

Also remember that this is a large car once you get that metal in motion humm well I will let you do the calculations. Although getting it right, used to have an E30 M3 and that was fun, can be fantastic fun.

Not yet been brave enough with the car but as I get more knowledge about the car I am sure that I will be pressing the limits.

Simon
Too bad you are in Uk. There are tons of track days in Germany for private with thir cars. Very funny and instructors to help you.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Simonal said:
Although getting it right, used to have an E30 M3 and that was fun, can be fantastic fun.

Simon

I had a mere 325i with a little bit of work on it. Compared to the E34 M5 it was like a go kart but that was because it did things at much slower speeds.

The E30 M3 must have been bliss. Have you still got it? How did it compare to the E34 M5 ( I know the M5 is a ballistic missle in comparison in a straight line ) ?

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
92 Posts
thomasserwin said:
Too bad you are in Uk. There are tons of track days in Germany for private with thir cars. Very funny and instructors to help you.
Send me your e-mail address and I will mail you a mega power slide on the freeway in a E34

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thomasserwin said:
Skid school would be class.

After seeing Tiff Needell showing how it was done in a M3, I want to learn..

Agree, not to try it anywhere with curbs, although I don't fancy trying it at Tescos with the Nova / Saxo boys!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
thomasserwin said:
Yes here too but and also a lot of skid pan training, but although I have not searched I think most of these track days stop as we get towards winter, although I could be wrong.

Also since my tires are still in good condition I think I will wait for a while.

Although I may be tempted before that.......:1:

·
Registered
92 Posts
But anyway I would say the best way to learn how to "drift" is to start on a big open space like a parking space.

Best is to start in the snow or the wet surfface so you get the idea of drifiting much easier to control the car.

Then slowly increase your guts and end by doing it in dry.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
vadas1 said:
I had a mere 325i with a little bit of work on it. Compared to the E34 M5 it was like a go kart but that was because it did things at much slower speeds.

The E30 M3 must have been bliss. Have you still got it? How did it compare to the E34 M5 ( I know the M5 is a ballistic missle in comparison in a straight line ) ?

ralph (vadas1)
Yes I know what you mean about the go kart. Have not got the E30 M3 :crying: . But once I have got grips with the M5. I plan to get another one, but a hardtop, as I had the hairdresser edition last time.

But the car handled fabulously it was the first fast car I had that I could trully say you thourght your way around a corner. The car was nimble yet powerful enough to push to the limit and beyond.I loved it. Also it was a late engine with 215 BHP so was about as good as it gets, E30 M3 Evo 3 not withstanding.

Must get another one soon .....

In comparison with the M5 well they both have that thing that IMHO I think has been missing for a while and that is character.

The E30 had the same uneven beat and did not really like traffic, just like the E34, but on an open road I think that if the road was not the most tourturous that the E34 may have the edge because of that addtional lower down power. Although if you keep the E30 on song (4000rpm +) then there may not be much in it as the E30 would be better on corners.

To sum up the E34 feels, acts and drives like a bigger E30 M3, I thourght this may just be me and wishful thinking, but a friend of mine who also had an E30 M3 ( both of our favorite cars so far) confirmed that it did drive like an bigger E30.........fabulous.

Both cars are great fun I feel lucky to have had both of then for any length of time........now I want both at the same time.

:cheers: Simon

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Simonal said:
Yes I know what you mean about the go kart. Have not got the E30 M3 :crying: . But once I have got grips with the M5. I plan to get another one, but a hardtop, as I had the hairdresser edition last time.

But the car handled fabulously it was the first fast car I had that I could trully say you thourght your way around a corner. The car was nimble yet powerful enough to push to the limit and beyond.I loved it. Also it was a late engine with 215 BHP so was about as good as it gets, E30 M3 Evo 3 not withstanding.

Must get another one soon .....

In comparison with the M5 well they both have that thing that IMHO I think has been missing for a while and that is character.

The E30 had the same uneven beat and did not really like traffic, just like the E34, but on an open road I think that if the road was not the most tourturous that the E34 may have the edge because of that addtional lower down power. Although if you keep the E30 on song (4000rpm +) then there may not be much in it as the E30 would be better on corners.

To sum up the E34 feels, acts and drives like a bigger E30 M3, I thourght this may just be me and wishful thinking, but a friend of mine who also had an E30 M3 ( both of our favorite cars so far) confirmed that it did drive like an bigger E30.........fabulous.

Both cars are great fun I feel lucky to have had both of then for any length of time........now I want both at the same time.

:cheers: Simon

Only one thing for it. I shall have to arrange a drive in an E30 M3.

:noSMG: :wroom: mmmmmm :flag: :noSMG:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
OK,

Any tips??

Steve
Get to Castle Combe or a wet/snowy airfield....

Little movie as well - didn't get any slides though as it was very dry!

http://www.mmm-five.net/Gallery/Movies/M5Lap2_small.wmv

1 - 20 of 41 Posts