BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my first month of ownership on my 06 M5 with 50k miles, this is what I've gleaned after searching incessantly. Maybe M5Aud can chime in as he's been having some performance problems of his own.

Some facts..
- late 05 build date
- car has a new clutch/flywheel as of 5k miles ago.
- bone stock, with charcoal filters removed. stock air filters are a bit dirty. Did not notice any performance increase after removing charcoal filters
_ tires are stock contis at 38psi

- had a recent oil change, at 1.1L, full TWS. The previous owner wasn't too mindful of how much oil he had to add, but in 500 miles of owning it, i haven't had to add any
- not sure what firmware its running - i have a full service history and it doesn't look like its ever been reflashed.
- temp has been around 80-90F here
- never had any type of Vanos service that I know of.
- at idle, it does have the dieseling sound like most of you, but no angry beehive sound or rattling coming from the vanos covers.
- i have done SMG reset

- If I put it in S6, DSC off, p500s and mash the throttle, it will rev up and do a burnout.
- With the same settings, if I ease into the throttle and then floor it, it will hit redline... I shift into 2nd and it will chirp going into 2nd. it will chirp, but not wiggle the tail or anything like that. I have never ever had it chirp going into 3rd.
- If I roll in 1st gear and nail the throttle, i do NOT get wheelspin. Same in 2nd gear.
- 3/4/5/6 feel kind of flat. i have no problems hitting 100+ in 4th, but it does not have that throw-me-back-in-the-seat feeling. Just feels.. lazy? I've driven 500hp cars before, and this car is the slowest 500hp car i've ever owned.

So all these signs are pointing to the fact that perhaps I'm low on power. Car is throwing no codes.

What does everyone suggest? I don't want to take it to the dealer because I'm pretty sure they're going to drive it, tell me it doesn't throw any codes and send me on my way.

Or perhaps somewhere along the way they flashed one of the newer power-robbing software versions and didn't log it?

Could it just be the computer limiting torque in 1st and 2nd gear? If so, why do i still read about people losing traction in 1st, 2nd (and 3rd)?

Its probably a stretch, but maybe my dirty air filters are killing power? I can't imagine that they would rob the probably 40-50 horses I'm down on (my estimate).

Perhaps its time to replace the spark plugs? Fuel filter? O2 sensors? MAF?

I know I'm grasping at straws here, i'm just not too familiar with this car. I would really appreciate any direction you guys can give me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
hmmm - it all depends on road surface, temperatures, tyres etc etc - trust me, I am the same for wondering if I have no power, and I have very different results all the time, but here are a few things I do now and then to reassure myself my car is still as it should be:

1. take a passenger next time you drive it fast, see their reaction - it's noramlly holy sh*t holy sh*t ahhhhhhhh woooooo hoooooooooo holy sh*t
2. compare your speed to other cars in your rear view mirror - it's surprising how small they become in a short space of time. I have just returned from europe again and granted my car is limited to 170mph, but the time it takes to get there is small
3. try a launch control - this catches you out now and then
4. go in someone elses car - I went in my friends Subaru Impreza - one of my mates was scared in the front seat whilst I was in the back thinking is this it!?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Vanos is dying... Mine has just gone through this. I can still spin tyres all through second but 3rd 4th etc feel like it's pulling major timing and is choking. I have had suspicions for 4 months, been to the dealer over 10 times, done bleeds tested vanos units via diagnostic. First couple of times it seemed ok, but the figures were minimal. Now it is stating bank 1, 2 for both is NOT OK. Your cars vanos is dying, if you hear high pitch whistle on start up it isn't your aircon it's the vanos pump... Mine didn't throw codes, only this weekend gone it decided to put the CEL up and it was for O2 sensors for both banks which doesn't make sense, and later a vanos unit test supplied the answer. My car still hasn't spat the CEL up again but the vanos test proved the vanos is not happy. Mechanical faults don't turn up on tests until everything hits rock bottom....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder why this doesn't affect 1st and 2nd gear though?

I have actually noticed that whistling sound a few times after startup! I was wondering what it was. The problem is, it doesn't happen all the time - its very intermittent.

If I'm going down the same path as you, how do I go about getting this diagnosed with the dealer? How do I start? do I ask for a vanos diagnostic? Realistically I feel kind of silly telling the SA my car feels slow, only to have him send it around the block with some 20 year old tech who will drive the crap out of it and tell him its fine and that it doesn't throw any codes.

I'm wondering if this lack of power in 3rd and 4th can be demonstrated on a dyno.. for example, i strap it on, get a readout short 40-50 horses and I take it to the dealer and complain?

Vanos is dying... Mine has just gone through this. I can still spin tyres all through second but 3rd 4th etc feel like it's pulling major timing and is choking. I have had suspicions for 4 months, been to the dealer over 10 times, done bleeds tested vanos units via diagnostic. First couple of times it seemed ok, but the figures were minimal. Now it is stating bank 1, 2 for both is NOT OK. Your cars vanos is dying, if you hear high pitch whistle on start up it isn't your aircon it's the vanos pump... Mine didn't throw codes, only this weekend gone it decided to put the CEL up and it was for O2 sensors for both banks which doesn't make sense, and later a vanos unit test supplied the answer. My car still hasn't spat the CEL up again but the vanos test proved the vanos is not happy. Mechanical faults don't turn up on tests until everything hits rock bottom....

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car?

I can tell you that the spark plugs make a HUGE difference, so if those are past due, that may be your issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some interesting feedback. I've got about 50k miles on the car. I do believe I'm on my original sparkplugs as well as some dirty air filters. Perhaps these two factors are enough to make a difference?

M5Aud - I'm not positive we have the same problem, but I do feel bad you have to go through all this hassle on what is essentially a masterpiece of german engineering. At least your car is peppy in 1st and 2nd.. Mine is lagging in all the gears leading me to believe it might be something else. I viewed your video clip and that of many others and that sound persists in cars that don't have fauly vanos systems.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well, just had the screen for idrive and dash go nuts, took it back in with the CEL on and it has come up with mountains of faults which points to the alternator... Will let you know what comes from the investigation and replacement alternator.

·
Registered
977 Posts
This is what came up from diagnosis, no vanos faults though... Last week vanos fault existed now nothing. Friday will see another vanos diagnostic and new alternator. Fingers crossed it removes all the codes especially anything to do with vanos. Anyone with info please share.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good Similar feelings from couple of weeks since changed Clutch and Oil Throttle Actuators. Mentioned in post : Please see marked in bold red.

22nd June 2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Kolega1982
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)

My adventure with M5 E61 so far.
Hi
Since January 2016 owner of M5 E61 Interlagos Blue. Bought mine M with 68k mls on clock.

Before owner of 530d e61. so e61 model in shape and some other aspects is known to me.

Impressed with with gearbox slamming through every gear change and proper kick in mine spine through every gear up to no 7 on the dash. Very nice !

In April , Throttle Actuator Bank 2 failed ( from this forum learned , what to do ) Found ppl who could revamp gears on actuator for me , and on the 230 mls trip to them clutch have started slipping between 3-4 gear
Re con TA 500£ - for both. Clutch Sachs flywheell LUK 850£ + fitting 500£ . Week after oil cooler , oil leak 279£.

TA - end up of buying new actuator 399£ VDO for Bank 2 as is been failing every 2 weeks - got fitted now for a week and is fine. Replaced my self - ( not that hard , just a lot of stripping needs to be done - recommended to all owners - do it your self to build up relationship with your beasts. adaptation - calibration after been fit is been done as well - many different opinions do the need or no , i have calibrated mines.

Clutch - break in process with few problems , as man who have installed for mee had problem with his GT1 and first 100 miles done without adaptation ( jerky like hell ) first 500 mls done with more care if fast drive , always foot of the accelerator , now done about 2k mls on this clutch and overall its fine , sometimes some clunks coming from diff when engaging to 1st , or down shifting it self on traffic lights from 3rd to second on low revs.

1. Something have changed aver all this - but unsure , is this the clutch - or actuators - M is not slamming through the gears like before with every gear change especially from 2nd to 3rd or from 3rd to 4th - they are smoother changes definitely then before like there is not that much power as it was before As anyone have experienced something similar ? No codes throwing out. Very strange. Is the clutch still breaking in ? Or what ?

2. What it should be coolant temp ? Mine is between 79C and 84C . Oil temp when hot is just before 100C sometimes when kicking just above 100C.

In July 2600 mls trip is awaiting for me in mine much loved M5 , dont want any surprises.

Thanks for your toughs.

Any one know anything more about this ? :/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts