BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my driver side mirror started clicking after reaching the bottom of the power folding cycle. Has anyone ever experienced this before? If so, how can I fix it? Do I need to get a new motor, a whole new mirror assembly, or is there something else I can do?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Sometimes it gets bumped and needs to be resynchronized with the cycle of the motor. You can use the first search method outlined in the FAQ sticky with keywords "folding mirror click" to read similar experiences.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The clicking is because one of the two dowel pins that hold the motor assembly in place in it's housing is now broken. Several people have had the issue before including myself. Some have just replaced the mirror assembly or just the drive unit. Some have repaired it. I just repaired mine a few weeks ago. If you're handy you can probably make the repair. If it's still working in both directions but just clicking I'd assume only one of the pins is broken and if you can deal with the noise you can wait until the other one breaks (and it will) before making the repair or do it now. If you take it apart you'll see that the metal sleeve of the motor has two dowel pins on it to keep it from rotating inside of the housing it sits in. If you drill out where they were broken from carefully and put in small screws it shouldn't happen again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The clicking is because one of the two dowel pins that hold the motor assembly in place in it's housing is now broken. Several people have had the issue before including myself. Some have just replaced the mirror assembly or just the drive unit. Some have repaired it. I just repaired mine a few weeks ago. If you're handy you can probably make the repair. If it's still working in both directions but just clicking I'd assume only one of the pins is broken and if you can deal with the noise you can wait until the other one breaks (and it will) before making the repair or do it now. If you take it apart you'll see that the metal sleeve of the motor has two dowel pins on it to keep it from rotating inside of the housing it sits in. If you drill out where they were broken from carefully and put in small screws it shouldn't happen again.

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. I believe my issue may be related to this but I just want to clarify what I mean by clicking at the bottom. Once my mirror reaches the bottom of the cycle, it continues to try and move the mirror, and because its trying to continue past where its supposed to go, its making a clicking sound as if its not stopping when it should.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Exactly. I understand. The reason it does that is because there is no electrical micro-switch that tells the controlling module when the mirror has reached the end of its cycle (the up or down point). There is only a mechanical stop built into the moving parts. When one of the pins is broken it allows just enough play for the motor to keep going a little longer because the extra flex makes the mirror not fully pressed against the stop. I don't know if I'm explaining this in the best way or not.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
When I search "folding mirror click" I dont get any FAQ. Am I doing something wrong?
This is the search method outlined in the FAQ (frequently asked questions sticky thread):
Let me google that for you

Compare your driver's and passenger's front mirrors when they are in the up and down position. If one lags, or is wiggly in either position, then someone probably bumped it (seemingly off-track or out of sync). Some people can twist / fiddle with it and get it to re-catch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly. I understand. The reason it does that is because there is no electrical micro-switch that tells the controlling module when the mirror has reached the end of its cycle (the up or down point). There is only a mechanical stop built into the moving parts. When one of the pins is broken it allows just enough play for the motor to keep going a little longer because the extra flex makes the mirror not fully pressed against the stop. I don't know if I'm explaining this in the best way or not.
Yes, your explaining perfectly. Thanks for the help. Looks as though I'm going to have to do some mirror surgery.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts