BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the process of buying a 2001 silverstone M5. It's a great deal the only exception being that the struts are shot (being replaced with BC coilovers) and the clutch which is iffy and hasn't been replaced in over 120,000 miles which is quite frankly amazing. It's hard to get a true feel for power delivery as the shocks are very bouncy and you can definitely feel it when getting on the gas. I have only test drove one other '02 M5 a few years ago, but the engine feels strong in this car.

I am coming from a 370z where power keeps going up all the way to redline. Does the power and torque on these cars stay pretty flat on the way to redline? Or should it pull harder and harder up to redline?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I have looked at plenty of dyno graphs but I was wondering more about the actual driving experience from you guys.

·
Registered
184 Posts
They pull pretty even from about 2k rpm to around 6,5-6,7k rpm then they start to loose some torque. No "boost at 4k rpm" :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^This. It should pull progressively harder up to 6500 rpm. At it's age, some of the various sensors could be slacking if it feels kind of flat. Maybe some minor vaccum leaks, too.
Thanks all, I haven't had a chance to comb through all the maintenance records as there is a lot. But off the top of my head, the PO did the following in the last 6 months or less:

- Air filters
- Cabin filters
- Radiator
- New MAFs
- New spark plugs
- New fuel pump
- Brake pads

The car also has a Shark Injector tune to remove the secondary air codes on the car, I was thinking this could possibly be a cause for the over-boosted throttle response down low and the flat feeling to redline. What are some other sensors I should be on the lookout for that could cause this?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Guys that change pre-cat o2 sensors report good "butt-dyno" gains. Also Cam Position Sensors come up for discussion a lot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't seen many threads crop up about the pre-cat o2 sensors but I definitely see quite a few CPS sensor comments around. The CPS is on my list of things to do if I find it hasn't been replaced after sifting through the service docs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do check if the Fuel filter was replaced as well, many seems to forget to ever replace it and can causes strain on the fuel pump in the long run - maybe that's why the PO just got it replaced? :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That is a very good question, I will look for that in the records! Just got to find a DIY on it, can't see how it could be that hard. My list of things I will be replacing near term:

- New upstream o2 sensors
- All new CPS sensors
- K&N intake filters
- BC Racing coilovers
- Looking into fuel filter

Anything else you guys think I should freshen up while I'm doing that stuff? Thanks for all your help btw :)

As for power delivery, the dyno sheet says it all. My Z is definitely a far different feeling car. This was full bolt on minus a cat-back.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got mixed reviews on them from looking around, some say the K&N run fine. Some don't. Are there non-oiled alternatives? Just looking to open up a tiny bit more sound and flow from the stock intakes.
You can get some AFE Pro dry filters which reportedly improve the flow with no oil in the medium. But you won't get any extra sound without revamping the intake plumbing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have K&N and they work fine, dont expect and massive hp gain tho :) Just dont over oil and spray only one side of the filter.. this was on my car when i bought it and if i were to replace them i would go for a dry version, just in case.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can get some AFE Pro dry filters which reportedly improve the flow with no oil in the medium. But you won't get any extra sound without revamping the intake plumbing.
Some day I'll pick up some AA or used Dinans when the time comes, I will give the AFEs a try!

I have K&N and they work fine, dont expect and massive hp gain tho :) Just dont over oil and spray only one side of the filter.. this was on my car when i bought it and if i were to replace them i would go for a dry version, just in case.
No massive gains expected, but a little bit is worth it for me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts