BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of pressing the power button every time I start my car, so I developed a small module that remembers what the last setting was and makes sure the same setting is selected next time the ignition is turned on. It connects between the button & harness and will use OEM MQS connectors. It also requires a connection to terminal 15 (power switched with ignition) - the cigarette light is a handy place to tap in to that.

I'm thinking of making a batch of them to sell once I order the proper connectors. It looks like I'll be able to price them at $60 shipped. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can't this be solved with coding? I'm interested in doing this for the transmission speed. The foil over the trim around the shift knob is bubbled and worn out from changing the transmission speed every time the car is started. I have no used for any speed but s5 and s6 so that button gets hit a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can't this be solved with coding? I'm interested in doing this for the transmission speed. The foil over the trim around the shift knob is bubbled and worn out from changing the transmission speed every time the car is started. I have no used for any speed but s5 and s6 so that button gets hit a lot.
yours doesn't start where it was last left? In 400 mode I run S5. when I start the car its in S5 already.

·
Registered
132 Posts
interesting. my key fob, when pressed, sets everything up for me. Seats, mirrors, wheel and most importantly the transmission. My other fob has different settings.
Hmm... I wonder if it's related to a firmware update. I've never checked it or had it checked. So, for all I know, I may not have the latest program running.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't mind pressing the M button, I hardly press the "POWER" button. The M button is right on the steering so not a big deal. I also want it to be 400hp until the car is fully warmed up anyways.

What I would like is the shift speed to be remembered in 400hp mode. It always defaults to S3, I want to be S5.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't mind pressing the M button, I hardly press the "POWER" button. The M button is right on the steering so not a big deal. I also want it to be 400hp until the car is fully warmed up anyways.

What I would like is the shift speed to be remembered in 400hp mode. It always defaults to S3, I want to be S5.
Yeah, that's what I want. I turn m mode off just as much as I turn it on. Shift speed I always set to the highest setting and that gets annoying and wears out the foil on the trim around the shift knob.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, I've reprogrammed my DME so my cars is in P400 mode is the same as P500.

·
Registered
131 Posts
yours doesn't start where it was last left? In 400 mode I run S5. when I start the car its in S5 already.
Really? When you start the car and place it in drive it defaults to S5?? Are you sure... the Euro (and by extension Australia...) SMG is such that the car will default to D1 when first started. What Does stay in memory though is the last setting in manual mode, but you have to first put the car in manual mode by tugging a paddle or whacking the shifter accross to S. For example, if you switch the car off and the last manual setting you used was S3, the car will default back to that after the next start up, after placing it in manual mode.
Another setting that is save from when the car is switched off is the last EDC setting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts