BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think BMW missed the boat when they did not "update" the M5 with the power bulge hood. I'm going to rectify the situation on my AW beast... I called my man Tony Mach at TNT Autobody and told him what I wanted, he's all set and excited to work on the project. All I need is a damaged M3 hood to rob the power bulge from, then it's on!

Why do this to an OEM hood? Fitment is key, I am a real stickler for fit and finish, while the aftermarket hoods are pretty good it would irritate me to see misalignment etc. I was also thinking of having him add very subtle "eybrows" to the front over the headlamps but I am not convinced yet.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It is funny - I went to great pains to keep the stock hood :)

I'd like to see the finished product.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I think the hard part is finding a crashed m3 that was hit in the rear LOL..... also so were on the same page were talking about E90 m3 yeah?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Valley, I found my power dome today! Just found it on one of the forums. Just search around in the part-out threads and find one with front end damage! ;)

Also, to everyone out there, this is what the final product looks like!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Valley, I found my power dome today! Just found it on one of the forums. Just search around in the part-out threads and find one with front end damage! ;)

Sweet!!!!! I remember a thread a while back maybe some one can dig it up.... it had all the pics of the build....

E46 or E90???? thats what I dont remember... looks like E46....

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an E46 power dome, I get to peer over an LSB one when the weathers nice.. :)

russapp5: good for you! My shop is in the middle of salvage yard heaven (or hell) so finding one locally won't be an issue.

·
Registered
419 Posts
wow...that AW m5 looks amazing...

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I think the hard part is finding a crashed m3 that was hit in the rear LOL..... also so were on the same page were talking about E90 m3 yeah?
This^ lol

And this below. It's been done exactly the way you're going about it, and I definitely think it's a great idea! It really looks good on our cars....keep us posted!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I spoke to my mechanic/bodyshop a while ago and I mentioned this to him. He told me it wont work becuase the M3's hood is Aluminum and the M5's are steel.... Would this matter? I've seen a few people order some damaged m3 hoods.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
are there aftermarket hoods with the bulge?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
No. Or we would all be buying it instead of complaining about not having one..

Reactions: Clemster

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Arod thanks, if I can't find one locally I'll hit you up.

There are ways to bond aluminum to steel, it's not a problem. BTW did you iknow that most aluminum chassis'd cars such as the Aston Martin are bonded with glue? No welds or rivets...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here is some info from XCUSM5 on his hood build, hopefully he doesn't mind me posting it:

"The actual weld is a special type of bond that only a person very familiar with their properties can perform. It's a really tough weld and that's probably why I hadn't seen anyone do it on their car before. You definitely need someone who has a lot of experience welding or bonding different materials. We only cut a small amount of material in the center underneath the power dome but the base is solid so it it sits on it properly. The reinforcement was a pretty simple cut, nothing complicated about it. I did the fiberglass and all the prep, straightforward stuff."

And from mwmwmwm:

"I went the panel bond method. I know xcusm5 said he welded it but I traded a guy with a shop for the work and he refused to try to weld. I'm still curious about the whole thing. I wish I would have saved a few pieces of material and experimented with them. You will have some after you cut out for the m3 vent. I reused my washer components with a little filing and tube extensions. You can see the seam on my black hood in the correct light. You have to be looking for it. I love the difference."

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Vorsteiner used to make some, but they stopped for some strange reason. I think I got the last one they ever made.

A few people said they were going to try to have some made, but they never really made any progress on it.

As for welding aluminum to steel, it looks like it's possible, but it takes a very special technique to do. Bonding is probably the easier way to go, and should be just as strong if done right.

·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vorsteiner used to make some, but they stopped for some strange reason. I think I got the last one they ever made.

A few people said they were going to try to have some made, but they never really made any progress on it.

As for welding aluminum to steel, it looks like it's possible, but it takes a very special technique to do. Bonding is probably the easier way to go, and should be just as strong if done right.
You cannot weld aluiminum to steel, it's a solder joint.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts