BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for all those out there in the US who are potential new owners when the M5/M6 hits our shores, what are your feelings on BMW NAs marketing decisions regarding release dates for our market? BMW M clearly states in every other story that the US is their largest market where more than 50% of Ms are delivered, and yet BMW NA has made these foolish marketing decisions that place the US dead last in terms of deliveries... This is not meant to annoy our great friends/members from around the world, but I think that BMW NA has f***ed up the marketing of ALL BMWs in recent times and I wonder where the breaking point is? Though I am not in the market for an M, I am buying a new BMW in the fall, and I too am seriously annoyed with BMW NAs decisions where I cannot even get the same cars/packages that the rest of the world has access to... Each week we see our lucky friends around the world take delivery of their Ms and other great BMWs, and yet we have to wait and wait while our market is the financial viability for BMW AG...

When does BMW AG or M step in and say enough is enough to BMW NAs executive teams marketing plan? I think it is outrageous that Ms are delivered every day and it will still be another 5 or 6 months until the first M5s are delivered and nearly a year until the M6s are delievered when there are other lucky members that already have their cars for months at this time...

Has anyone else felt this way and complained to BMW M? BMW NA customer service is a joke as we all know, but I would think that BMW M would listen a bit more and maybe get some things done to assist all the potential owners who make M possible... Does anyone think its time already for someone to step in and correct this unacceptable situation once and for all? I would never ask to be first, but I think its only fair to receive the cars at the same time as the rest of the world and have access to all that the rest of the world has access to...

....frustrated, loyal, BMW owner...

·
Registered
703 Posts
agreed, similar story in the F1 last week end hey? I am sure someone knows the how and why to all this, even if the end result does not seem to make much sense...

·
Registered
124 Posts
m630 said:
...for all those out there in the US who are potential new owners when the M5/M6 hits our shores, what are your feelings on BMW NAs marketing decisions regarding release dates for our market? ... its only fair to receive the cars at the same time as the rest of the world and have access to all that the rest of the world has access to...

....frustrated, loyal, BMW owner...
I was talking to the guy who reviews cars for Popular Mechanics about this topic just the other day.

You are comparing yourself, an educated enthusiast. to the average BMW consumer. Their purchase behavior is quite different. The average BMW consumer walks onto a lot and leases or buys what they have on that day or month. They might read a "consumer reports" or a "top ten hatchbacks of 1994" but they don't frequent global enthusiast message boards. In fact I bet the average US BMW consumer thinks all cars come out at the same time.

BMW's rollout strategy has no negative effect on global sales. In fact I conjecture that the "Europe first" plan brings to light issues and defects present in the cars before they are launched in more, shall we say, 'dense' nay 'critical' markets.

Celsius :typing:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been buying German cars for nearly 30 years . Usually Germany ( and Europe, but not always England due to RHD ) gets the newest " hot " model in Spring/Summer , US in the Fall. The M5 roll out follows this pattern .

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
There's actually some advantage to letting the 'first' cars go to someone else. I believe the first M5 delivery was outside of Germany in fact. I'm not so concerned about the timing as I am about the options.

The US certainly needs to have access to BMW Individual in the same way as the Europeans IMO. I would be a lot more disturbed if the Europeans could get an M5 that was 'better' than what I could get in the US. I don't mind waiting a few months for them to work some of the initial bugs out.

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
Im not trying to be blunt but you have to maybe see it in this way: it is US Government fault. It is US standardization, US emission standards, protection for the US legal system etc that has to be taken cared of. Naturally they deliver to Germany first, and being an European Union country contries within EU gets it faster logically.

There is ALOT of differencies between the US and Euro versions of M5 (E39, even more E60).

You´ll get a bug-free M5 as added bonus ;)

m630 said:
BMW M clearly states in every other story that the US is their largest market where more than 50% of Ms are delivered, and yet BMW NA has made these foolish marketing decisions that place the US dead last in terms of deliveries... This is not meant to annoy our great friends/members from around the world, but I think that BMW NA has f***ed up the marketing of ALL BMWs in recent times and I wonder where the breaking point is?

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
I agree completely. BMW M is missing a huge market here for BMW Individual.

Wolverine said:
The US certainly needs to have access to BMW Individual in the same way as the Europeans IMO.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Beyond that, I don't think you can blame BMW NA that much. They can't exactly sell cars that aren't released by BMW for sale in the US, or cleared by the government as Gustav mentioned (although I think that is less of the issue).

I just don't think that BMW has the production capacity in the early months of production worldwide. Add in how people here would have responded to the initial problems with the oil pump.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
While Gustav's points are correct and partly responsible for the delay, I think that a more important reason is the ability to provide adequate supply with the limited manufacturing capabilities M has. By delaying delivery to half of their market, they get to more gradually increase production after they have the early kinks ironed out (we've seen some of those already with EKAN, oil pumps, etc.). The US market has higher expectations with longer warranties, free service policies, etc., and thus it is critical to have things right when introducing a product there.

Tom

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gustav said:
I agree completely. BMW M is missing a huge market here for BMW Individual.
this is exactly my frustration, I want an individual but cant get it no matter what, it just makes no sense if im buying (not leasing) my car that I cant get it exactly the way i want it....

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
BMW has made strides in narrowing the gap between European and US models. Many of us remember the significant disparity in horsepower between the European and US E36 M3s. The elimination of these disparities indicates BMW's effort to please its largest market. While some differences necessarily will remain (such as no TV watching in the front seats of US cars), they are less significant than engine potency.

As for the roll-out delay, I doubt that BMW AG is trying to offend the US market. On the contrary, the apparent future availability of the 6-speed in the E60 M5 reportedly is due to an outcry from the US market. I suspect that, in addition to the factors already mentioned, the sheer volume of the demand in the US militates in favor of releasing the car here when production is at a sufficient pace. Otherwise, the slow trickle of cars only would aggravate US customers more. I also suspect that there is a reason to start North American production in the fall so that all of those cars will be 2006 models (and, thereby, incorporate whatever 2006 refinements will exist).

·
Registered
68 Posts
MRichmond said:
While some differences necessarily will remain (such as no TV watching in the front seats of US cars), they are less significant than engine potency.

)
Your children are riding their bikes to school ....a " modern , connected " driver approaches , juggling coffee, IPOD, dialing cell phone , working IDrive to change a radio station or check NAV directions . Let's add FRONT SEAT TV- driver PROMISES not to watch .
:eek:h:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
bm5kw said:
Your children are riding their bikes to school ....a " modern , connected " driver approaches , juggling coffee, IPOD, dialing cell phone , working IDrive to change a radio station or check NAV directions . Let's add FRONT SEAT TV- driver PROMISES not to watch .
I wholeheartedly agree -- TV has no place in the front seat. It just occurred to me as a difference between European and US models.

·
Registered
124 Posts
MRichmond said:
I wholeheartedly agree -- TV has no place in the front seat. It just occurred to me as a difference between European and US models.
No TV in the front seat!? Blasphemy. TV in EVERY seat. :hihi:

·
Registered
101 Posts
m630 said:
this is exactly my frustration, I want an individual but cant get it no matter what, it just makes no sense if im buying (not leasing) my car that I cant get it exactly the way i want it....
I think you said the magic word - leasing....I used to know the percentages of BMW's that were leased in the US and it was a very high number, at least 75%. Including the full service is a big leasing incentive, both for BMW and the consumer - BMW ensures compliance with maintenance while retaining high values for the pre-owned market. But, individual programs create issues in a lease driven market since it is difficult to predict the residual value of "custom cars." Porsche is a good example of this in the US since many highly individual Porsches are too ugly to resell.

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
TV in Europe on M5 shuts off the picture when movbing. In US there is no TV at all.

bm5kw said:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gustav said:
TV in Europe on M5 shuts off the picture when movbing. In US there is no TV at all.
So does that mean in the near future during a crucial goal shot during a soccer match that all trafiic comes to a standstill throughout Europe ? :biggrin:

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
:haha: Exacttly. Or the last lap at Formula One :M5thumbs:

TV in the M5 E60 with Professional screen:

bm5kw said:
So does that mean in the near future during a crucial goal shot during a soccer match that all trafiic comes to a standstill throughout Europe ? :biggrin:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I think Tom makes a great point and I would add that IMHO they have an issue they did not have so much of in the past: the internet. Now we can see photo albums and read reviews of other owners all over the world. I think BNW NA does a very good job- but if someone wants to ask them why the Ms take a while to get here, I think you should just write them a letter- a constructive and polite one. I think you are likely to get a response.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The internet has also taken the sense of excitement of ANY new " gotta have it " - type car , as by the time they show official photos, it's been 1-2 years since the fairly accurate photoshop retouchings of test cars have been around .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts