BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the situation, I currently own a Mustang GT with Saleen everything on it, its a converible, real attention getter and my first car, blah blah blah.....I am going to be selling it and considering purchasing an M5. My price ceiling is 45k. I was looking at both the M3 and M5. I like the M3 but everyone and their mom has when here in chicago. My buddy just got a black M5 and took me for a spin in it today, loved it. I am leaning towards the M5 because it has this "executive" look to it. I will be starting law school in the fall and also want something that I can drive in the winter. So, my question(s) are , What year M5 should I be looking at and why, and Will I be able to drive this car in the winter. Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sad to say, but the M3, to me, has the ricer look to it ?????? M5 is more exculsive and a nicer car. Winter stuff, *shrugs*... 2001 (facce change) was discused in depth in a lower article :noSMG:

VROOM5 said:
Heres the situation, I currently own a Mustang GT with Saleen everything on it, its a converible, real attention getter and my first car, blah blah blah.....I am going to be selling it and considering purchasing an M5. My price ceiling is 45k. I was looking at both the M3 and M5. I like the M3 but everyone and their mom has when here in chicago. My buddy just got a black M5 and took me for a spin in it today, loved it. I am leaning towards the M5 because it has this "executive" look to it. I will be starting law school in the fall and also want something that I can drive in the winter. So, my question(s) are , What year M5 should I be looking at and why, and Will I be able to drive this car in the winter. Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'd be thinking 2000 or 2001 for that price.
Check cars.com, autotrader.com and m-series.com. You can also use BMW's web site to pick out CPO cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
VROOM5,

PM or e-mail me and we can compare notes. I'm in Chicago and in the market for a pristine, unmolested '01-'03 M5. Not in a terrible hurry but know the market pretty well so be happy to share what I know.

Also, check the recent archives as well as look up posts by 'ard' who has done extensive research on a CPO M5 before he got his '03 beast.

Sam.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You know what, it totally depends what you are going for. Everyone and their mother may have an m3, but a modified one, doubtful. I currently have an m5 and my brother, who is actually in chicago, has an m3. And they are totally different cars. The m5, at the end of the day is a sports SEDAN! You cannot molest it as much as you can the m3. The m5 is basically a european muscle car in comparison to the m3. The m3 is more of a fun racy car, IMHO. But to each his own. And their changing the shape of the m5 very soon, the m3's I haven't heard much about. As far as winters go, you need a set of GOOD snow tires, especially if you NEVER want to get stranded. Just some of my thoughts, hoped it helped.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yeah, be sure to get proper winter tires. Youd be advised to go with a different set of wheels to make the mounting process easier. 17s are probably a little better but only the M parallel spoke style work and the car will look emasculated- but at least it will go. M5 with snow tires is a decent snow vehicle. Look for a color like silver which is easy to maintain. Good luck on your quest and in school.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The M5 is a lot more practical as in room.They both come with the fun factor as standard.4 doors compared to 2.My own choice is the M5, just for size.Resale value is more or less the same.I know there is a new M5 out soon but the new 3 series isn't far away yet, so a M3 will be probably 12 mths after the M5.

New 3 series photos available at www.germancarfans.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey VROOM5 or anyone else in the market right now,

Just looked at a Blue '02 M5 yesterday here in Chicago that a dealer was selling (Autobarn of Mt. Prospect). If anyone's interested, I'll post my impressions on it as well as try to research it's history a bit more (service records, recent work, options, mods, wholesale pricing history, etc.).

MPowerChicago!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm interested. Please post what you can find out as far as price, mileage, VIN, etc... Thanks!

MPowerChicago said:
Hey VROOM5 or anyone else in the market right now,

Just looked at a Blue '02 M5 yesterday here in Chicago that a dealer was selling (Autobarn of Mt. Prospect). If anyone's interested, I'll post my impressions on it as well as try to research it's history a bit more (service records, recent work, options, mods, wholesale pricing history, etc.).

MPowerChicago!

·
Registered
27 Posts
txbeast said:
I'm interested. Please post what you can find out as far as price, mileage, VIN, etc... Thanks!
Here's the information that I bet not too many people can disclose to you. They bought it for $52K 3 months ago so right now that wholesale value is probably down another $2K or so.

Let me know if this helps you or others,

WBSDE93422CF91564 Analysis - By MPowerChicago
Manheim Pennsylvania Manheim Auto Auction
Pre-Sale List
July 15, 2004
7 155 2002 B M W M SERIES M5 4D SEDAN 8G/6 17,875 BLUE WBSDE93422CF91564 X
-- DIDN'T SELL

Manheim Pennsylvania Manheim Auto Auction
Pre-Sale List
July 23, 2004
29 171 2002 B M W M SERIES M5 4D SEDAN 8G/6 17,875 BLUE WBSDE93422CF91564 X
-- DIDN'T SELL

Manheim Illinois Arena Auto Auction
Pre-Sale List
August 3, 2004
7 27 2002 B M W M SERIES M5 4D SEDAN 8G/6 18,830 BLUE WBSDE93422CF91564 X
-- SALE INFORMATION BELOW

Manheim Illinois Arena Auto Auction
Market Report
August 3, 2004
2002 BMW M5 BLUE 4 8C Gas 6 CD, EW, MR 18830 $52000

Cars.com
September 21, 2004
2002 BMW M5
Price $54,990
Mileage 19,000
Body style Sedan
Ext. Color Blue
Trans. MANUAL 6SPD
Engine 5.0L V8
Description: Blue 4-door Sedan, 19000 miles, MANUAL 6SPD, 5.0L V8. Stock# MP2451.
Standard Features: RWD, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Door Locks W/Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Power
Brakes, Aluminum/Alloy Wheels, Compact Disc Changer, Premium Audio System, Bucket Seats, Heated Front Seats,
Leather Seats, Power Passenger Seat, Rear Bench Seat, Power Windows, Power Moonroof, Automatic Dimming Rearview
Mirror, Alarm System, Sport Seats, Aluminum/Alloy Interior Trim, Lighted Entry System, Rear Spoiler, Automatic
On/Off Headlights, Digital Clock, Fog Lights, Garage Door Opener, Headlight Washers, Navigation System, Power Door
Locks, Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers, Remote Trunk Release, Leather Steering Wheel, Steering Wheel Radio Controls,
Automatic Stability Control, Traction Control System, Center Console, Daytime Running Lights, Intermittent Wipers,
Rear Window Defroster, Tachometer, Trip Computer, Xenon Headlamps
Seller's Notes: For more information on this vehicle give us a call toll free @ 888-256-5725
Stock #: MP2451
VIN: WBSDE93422CF91564
The Autobarn of Mt. Prospect - Volkswagen
333 West Rand Road
Mt. Prospect, IL
888-256-5725

Cars.com
October 27, 2004
2002 BMW M5
Price $54,990
Mileage 19,000
Body style Sedan
Ext. Color Blue
Trans. MANUAL 6SPD
Engine 5.0L V8
Description: Blue 4-door Sedan, 19000 miles, MANUAL 6SPD, 5.0L V8. Stock# MP2451.
Standard Features: RWD, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Door Locks W/Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Power
Brakes, Aluminum/Alloy Wheels, Compact Disc Changer, Premium Audio System, Bucket Seats, Heated Front Seats,
Leather Seats, Power Passenger Seat, Rear Bench Seat, Power Windows, Power Moonroof, Automatic Dimming Rearview
Mirror, Alarm System, Sport Seats, Aluminum/Alloy Interior Trim, Lighted Entry System, Rear Spoiler, Automatic
On/Off Headlights, Digital Clock, Fog Lights, Garage Door Opener, Headlight Washers, Navigation System, Power Door
Locks, Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers, Remote Trunk Release, Leather Steering Wheel, Steering Wheel Radio Controls,
Automatic Stability Control, Traction Control System, Center Console, Daytime Running Lights, Intermittent Wipers,
Seller's Notes: For more information on this vehicle give us a call toll free @ 888-256-5725
Stock #: MP2451
VIN: WBSDE93422CF91564
333 West Rand Road
Mt. Prospect, IL
888-256-5725

Cars.com
November 16, 2004
2002 BMW M5
$52,990
Mileage 19,000
Engine 5.0L V8
Body Style Sedan
Transmission MANUAL 6SPD
Wheelbase 111" Drive Train
Doors 4 Stock # MP2451
Exterior Color Blue VIN WBSDE93422CF91564
Call 888-256-5725
333 West Rand Road
Mt. Prospect IL

Regards,
MPowerChicago

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was thinking 43,000 for my 01. Is this in the ball park. From what I can see dealers are considerably higher in some areas and less in others, but I think the color dictates price a fair amount. Red and Blue interiors don't sell well in my area. Black and Silver are more popular.

Darren

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't speak to the winter snow issues since I live in the sunny southwest. I just recently posted my M5 for sale on this web site with a rather optomistic price. I have a 2002 M5 with 12,400 miles on it. I just took it in for its first repair - the cup holder broke. It is Charcoal with the black interior and the wood trim. It has the NAV system, the extra cost BMW stereo option, the park distance system, and the folding seats (my ad post says it does not have those seats but I did not know I even had that option when I wrote the ad). It does not have the sunshades. Never raced, never wrecked. I posted it at $59,000 but a more realistic price is $55,000.00. I realize that this is higher than your posted price range but it is a good low mileage car. E-mail me if you are interested at [email protected]. thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's not a bad price ... The market is softer in TX it seems so that would be more than I would pay for an 01 ...

suspensio said:
I was thinking 43,000 for my 01. Is this in the ball park. From what I can see dealers are considerably higher in some areas and less in others, but I think the color dictates price a fair amount. Red and Blue interiors don't sell well in my area. Black and Silver are more popular.

Darren

1 - 16 of 16 Posts