BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I suppose I should introduce myself!

My name is Logan, and I am a full time student and BMW gearhead! I've had a few e34's in the past, including an e34 540iA I swapped 5 speed. I have always missed my 540i, and have since owned an e30 and e39, but they just didn't do it for me like the e34.

Well, I have came across an European M5 that I would LOVE to have, as owning an E34 M5 has always been a dream car for me.

The car I am looking at has a stack of maintenance receipts dating back to 2002. Routine valve adjustments, gasket replacements, EDC deleted and replaced with Koni's and H&R, suspension/steering maintenance has been done...This car been looked after. 189,000 miles. The car does need a new power steering hose however.

I have owned e34's before, and am aware of the suspension and interior care these cars need. However, I have read a few horror stories of S38 failures that have me a bit worried. I have read of detonation at high RPM's or under a lot of load. I can afford to put money into maintenance, and am very capable of doing all the work myself. However, a catastrophic engine failure would leave me dead in the water for quite some time.

I have noticed most S38's have detonation on the 4th and 5th cylinder. I imagine from lean conditions. Is this something that happens often?

I do not beat on my vehicles, nor am I a speed demon, and would only rack up about 5,000 miles per year.

Here is the car in question, I believe it was an old member's car!

Thanks for any input you may have.

-A hopeful new M5 owner,

Logan

·
10,458 Posts
this is my personal speculation, but there is a big vacuum hose that goes to either the #4 or5 throttle body, (can't remember) for the brake booster. At this age these hoses are incredibly brittle. I pulled on mine and it came to pieces in my hand. That is a highly suspicious source of a big vac leak which would cause a lean condition on that cylinder. I'd replace all of the vac lines and hoses on any new purchase unless you have records showing it was done.

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I picked her up! She needs a little TLC, but she is far from a basket case! It's a pretty interesting car...I don't think it has hardly any options at all....Not even equipped with cruise control!

It has an issue when letting off the throttle and returning to idle, the engine RPM's dip drastically and will occasionally stall. I imagine it is a vacuum line and will be ordering the silicone vacuum line kit.

Also, the power steering pressure line is busted, and will be replaced some time this week.

She is a sweet runner with long legs though!

9/89 production date, imported from Germany in 2002.

Here is the car stopped at a rest area on the 500 mile trip home. I didn't want to pull into a parking spot, or else power steering would flood everywhere :eek: I don't think my girlfriend was prepared for pictures :hihi:

The right rear smoked hella is cracked, so if anyone comes across a single outside driver side smoked hella, let me know!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Firstly congats on your purchase and welcome to the fold.

Not sure on the rear lighs as over here years ago (1987 IIRC )we used to spray the colour on the rear lenses. Sure if you check out Hella's website they will be able to inform you of availability.

As well as vacuum hoses get the shims checked if they havent been done lately and check coolant pack then just enjoy:wroom::wroom:

·
Registered
570 Posts
very well done! congrats and welcome aboard!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts