BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks - This is my first post here and I have been a lurker for a while reading up on the M6. I have owned several BMW's in the past and the last one being an E46 M3 Convertible with the SMGII transmission. After a 5 year hiatus, I am reading to head back into the BMW family as I will be returning back to the USA shortly after spending some time in Australia for work. I am considering purchasing an M6, E92 M3 or even the new M4. My first choice is obviously the M6 because not only the car looks beautiful, the intoxicating sound of the engine is hard to beat. I am aware of the poor fuel consumptions, but that goes in hand in hand with driving a performance car. If I was concerned with fuel, I would be looking at a Prius - Also, given the car would not be my daily driver, that also helps too.

With that said, I have a found a 2009 M6 at a BMW (Motorwerks) garage in West Bloomington, MN. The car has a Nov 2008 build which was first registered in Jan 2010 and the dealership is asking $37k for the car which has 45,000 miles on the clock with 2 previous owners. I have checked carfax and the car does not have any issues. I have also asked the Sales person to forward me the service record which I have reviewed in detail with him. I have also obtained the pre-purchase inspection report and everyone checked out fine. They have just performed a minor service and replaced the rear tires.

While there doesn't seem to be any issues with the car, I have the following questions which I would like to see if anyone can help with.

1) The 1,200 mile service was performed at 3,041 miles which is late. Considering M cars should have the first service at or around 1,200 miles, would this pose a problem with the car later down the road? I have read conflicting views about this topic and while I personally would liked to have seen the car serviced on time, however, the Sales person could not give me an explanation why it was performed late.

The service record did not show any major mechanical problems (SMG warning light etc) with the car only little niggling things which is normal with any new car.

2) I have driven an SMGII in my E46 and while it does require getting used to, I am not opposed to the idea of having another SMG car. I heard the SMGIII is a better transmission, but not sure how much better or reliable it is which then takes me to the next point about extended warranty. I enquired with the Sales person about the extended warranty and he quoted me $2,566 for 3 yr / 36k which is with Privilege Protection (Preferred Coverage). I asked whether this would cover the SMG in the event of failure and he did not answer my question directly except forwarding information on the warranty coverage which I have attached. I'm not sure whether this is a good warranty and whether there are any members on the board that have had real life experience with this company - If so, please chime in.

3) Looking at recent prices of E63 M6's, given the mileage and condition of the car, I think the car's priced attractively, although after being in Australia for 5 years, my perception of prices and values in the US has been distorted because everything in the US is so much cheaper (current 2006 M6's are advertised between $80k to $100k AUD which is equivalent to 75k to 95k US). With that said, would you agree the price of the car is a decent deal?

4) Last and not least, if I do pull the trigger on the car, I would feel more comfortable if there are any enthusiasts in MN that would have an hour or so out of their day to pop down to the dealership to inspect the car on my behalf? The inspection would entail visually inspecting the car and taking it for a test drive to ensure the car drives normal with no abnormal signs of mechanical issues with the engine or SMG shifting. I'm happy to pay for your time.

I think that's all for now. Thanks everyone in advance for your input.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey, welcome.

I can only answer a few questions as I bought mine used.

I know Australian Prices are ridiculously inflated so paying that for an M6 (37USD) IMO is a good deal with 45k miles...you may find something better but not by much. That's at least comparing to the Canadian market.

More than likely an extended warranty won't cover the SMG. There might be a few companies here (not sure about US) but it will be seriously hard. Most of these warrantys cover the part name, anything part that isn't on the list will not be (that's how mine it) covered.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For the warranty questions, take a look here on the M5 forum:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...post-all-warranty-related-questions-here.html

I got a warranty from Bruce to cover the big gotcha's on these cars. Don't know about the warranty you are looking at. Reading it makes me think that the SMG would be covered as it is technically internally lubricated but the warranty company's definition of that may be different.

As to everything else, I am with you on being concerned about the late first service but it would really depend on how the first owner drove the car during that time. If they drove it per break in instructions for the whole time since it was on the break in oil, not much may have been done. However, if they drove it hard, who knows. If you will read through the posts here, many believe that rod bearings should be a 50,000 mile maintenance item (of course BMW doesn't see it that way) and on a car with such a late break in service it might not be a bad idea.

Just my .02

GLWP

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A common misconception is that a low mile interval for the first oil change is actually required due to the amount of wear particles generated during break in.

I believe it's purpose is as a last resort and final (100% inclusive) quality control inspection by BMW for any issues that were not discovered by the statistical process and quality control systems that typically only inspects and/or tests one part in a thousand.

Reality is that modern engines do not generate any where near the amount of wear particles of of 70's V-8 during break in.

Even less so in the case of the M5 which utilizes an alusil bore surface that typically wears much less than iron.

IMO having the first oil change at 3,000 miles instead of 1,200 has no downside, but perhaps in the rare case of an assembly issue or part defect during manufacture the 1,200 mile change would allow a remedy to be implemented prior to further engine damage.

Do a good test drive and buy what you see.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Peter,

I am no expert but I will give you my 2 senses on your questions...

1. Break in: I agree with the member above, I understand people are sometimes very concerned about how many miles on their first break in... to be honest with you, in my opinion, it doesn't really even matter much if the previous owner serviced the beast at 1000 miles or 3000 miles... because no one can tell you how he/she really drove the beast during the break in period... Yes the previous owner might of serviced the car at around 3k miles... but if that person drives it like he drives a Toyota, then I don't really see any problems with that, but since we have no ways to determine how the previous owner drove it during the break in period, all you can really do is to take a leap of faith...

2. I believe your question has already been answered... but yes the SMG III is better than SMG II, but I've got a little advice for you, if you have the ability to replace the clutch, flywheel, and SMG pump, please do so... because it is a given fact that these are the most problematic parts when it comes to our beasts... But since your beast only has about 45k miles... I wouldn't worry about it much, just watch out how your clutch performs and reacts when your beast reaches around 70k-90k miles... Reason I am telling you this is because from what I read and from what I've found out, if we don't catch these symptoms early enough, and we wait until it fails, it could cause a lot more damage and cost you a lot more money than you would expect it...

3. I recently got my beast, 2006 with no HUD, 59k miles for 31k, 1 original owner, never been in accident, never had any problems, all service record indicates that... I believe I got a decent deal. Since yours is a 2009 with only 45k miles, I believe 37k is pretty good too... Just out of curiosity, do you mind telling me if 37k is already a price you came down to after negotiations? or the vehicle is just marked at 37k? The reason I ask is because I work at a used car dealership, and I see many of these beasts come and go... So maybe I could give you a little more insider info as far as what you should pay or counter offer...

4. I would love to drive your car and help you take a look at it, but I am in California, a little far away from each other, so I am sorry I can't help you much on this one buddy...

Good luck on your beast, I love mine and I know you will enjoy yours too. (Btw, if you were in California, you will get a lot more head turns, I am saying that because I do...) haha

-Tao

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far.

I've spent a fair amount of time reading up on the E63 M6 and I'm still on the fence about buying one. I love the look of the car and every-time I see one on the road which is not too often, I'm like a deer staring in headlights, the car is just beautiful. In saying this, I am still concerned about the SMG transmission and quite frankly who wouldn't especially hearing all the negative posts on both the M3 and M6 forums. But again, like most negative comments on the net, it resonates more.

I still have my heart set on an M6 and given that it wouldn't be my daily driver, I could still pull the trigger and buy one - Perhaps this is my way of justifying the purchase thinking if there's a problem with the SMG, it would happen later than sooner because I wouldn't be driving the car that often...Wish it was that simple because I've read on this forum that a few owners has had issues within weeks of few thousand miles of their purchase.

@drinkmaker - The 2009 M6 I'm interested in was initially priced at $47,879 and now reduced to $37,746. I'm not sure what has caused the drastic reduction, but I suspect it's because the dealership has had the car for a few months and they know moving the car isn't that easy. I haven't discuss pricing yet, but given the car doesn't have warranty, I would be keen to talk him down a few $'s.

It would also be great to have a local enthusiast stop by to check out the car on my behalf - Although I know I'm dealing with a reputable BMW dealer and not just a backyard "buy here, sell here" shop, I am a little at ease, but certainly not to the point where I do trust them with my first born.

2009 Used BMW M6 Coupe at Motorwerks BMW Serving Minneapolis, St Paul, MN, IID 12105444

Looking back at all the posts, I think the sensible thing to do is pickup a CPO'd 2010 M6 that will see me through to 2016...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think that the reason for the 10k price drop was they realized they had overpriced it way too much. So to compensate that and for the fact that they didn't sell it for a few months, they lowered it enough to beat other competitive prices.

If you can get the warranty for it, I suggest you close the deal on this one if you like the features and color. You can probably take the price down to 34-35k as well.

These cars can be a risky or a pleasant experience to own. I bought mine Feb 2013, and I drive it 4+ times a week and luckily so far, it has never been to the shop even though I have warranty for peace of mind.

Good luck!

Reactions: drinkmaker

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think that the reason for the 10k price drop was they realized they had overpriced it way too much. So to compensate that and for the fact that they didn't sell it for a few months, they lowered it enough to beat other competitive prices.

If you can get the warranty for it, I suggest you close the deal on this one if you like the features and color. You can probably take the price down to 34-35k as well.

These cars can be a risky or a pleasant experience to own. I bought mine Feb 2013, and I drive it 4+ times a week and luckily so far, it has never been to the shop even though I have warranty for peace of mind.

Good luck!
I agree with this Batth M6, Don't look at how much they discounted the beast... for 47k you can get one around 2008+ with around 35k miles. I would counter offer them 34k plus fees or the most I would pay for 35 plus fees. If they aren't willing to work with you then just camp for another one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Minneapolis and I could take a look at this car for you. I have a chance to buy a friend's 07 M6, so I'm interested in getting a quick schooling on what to look out for. Let's see if we can help each other out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in Minneapolis and I could take a look at this car for you. I have a chance to buy a friend's 07 M6, so I'm interested in getting a quick schooling on what to look out for. Let's see if we can help each other out.
Hi - That'll be great! I tried sending you a pm, but I couldn't because I'm a new member and I don't have enough post count at the moment. If you message me your contact info, I'll reply with the details on the car. You can contact me on [email protected] g m a i l. c o m

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just picked up a 2008 Silverstone Vert SMG with 31,900 miles for $41,500. It did not come with the HUD but it did have the fancy sound system. Everything is stock. Here are a couple of things that I learned.

1. The SMG on the 08+ isnt as flimsy as it used to be. I read a good number of forums and the consensus is that if it goes its going to go after 60k miles. Now this is not a guarantee and if someone beat on the car there is always a chance that it will go earlier. You are more likely to have to change the clutch and flywheel before the pump goes depending on how the car was treated.

2. You can tell alot about the car just by looking at the drivers seat for wear. Also test drive it and see if you are hearing cabin noise, rattles from windows, top, doors etc. Rattles = bad. Car should be quiet!

3. Find a reputable indy shop specializing in Ms. I had the dealer drive my M6 to Bimmerclinic in Avenel NJ and they did a full check on the car before i purchased it.

4. Update your software! I literally felt my older software being rough on my clutch & pump. Once the car was flashed to 2013 euro spec software it was like night and day!

5. Be Patient! There are M6s going for sale all the time. Look on Ebay, Forums etc. Winter is the best time to pick up a RWD Convertible!

6. Depending on the price you get there may be a few things missing. For example my car was missing wheel lock key, second key, navigation cd, the roundels on the wheels were not original ones. None of this was a big deal because the price on the car was right.

Ive had the car for 2 weeks now and I upgraded from a 2006 E46 M3 and its awesome. I drive it like a grandma because the v10 is too scary for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just picked up a 2008 Silverstone Vert SMG with 31,900 miles for $41,500. It did not come with the HUD but it did have the fancy sound system. Everything is stock. Here are a couple of things that I learned.

1. The SMG on the 08+ isnt as flimsy as it used to be. I read a good number of forums and the consensus is that if it goes its going to go after 60k miles. Now this is not a guarantee and if someone beat on the car there is always a chance that it will go earlier. You are more likely to have to change the clutch and flywheel before the pump goes depending on how the car was treated.

2. You can tell alot about the car just by looking at the drivers seat for wear. Also test drive it and see if you are hearing cabin noise, rattles from windows, top, doors etc. Rattles = bad. Car should be quiet!

3. Find a reputable indy shop specializing in Ms. I had the dealer drive my M6 to Bimmerclinic in Avenel NJ and they did a full check on the car before i purchased it.

4. Update your software! I literally felt my older software being rough on my clutch & pump. Once the car was flashed to 2013 euro spec software it was like night and day!

5. Be Patient! There are M6s going for sale all the time. Look on Ebay, Forums etc. Winter is the best time to pick up a RWD Convertible!

6. Depending on the price you get there may be a few things missing. For example my car was missing wheel lock key, second key, navigation cd, the roundels on the wheels were not original ones. None of this was a big deal because the price on the car was right.

Ive had the car for 2 weeks now and I upgraded from a 2006 E46 M3 and its awesome. I drive it like a grandma because the v10 is too scary for me.
Congratulations - Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your points into consideration on this car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone recommend an indy shop around the Minneapolis, St Paul area that can perform a pre-purchase inspection on the car?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@DjPiZdEtZ, Did you have the SMG in your 06 M3 and if so, how did that compare to the SMGIII from the M6 before your software update?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Welcome to the board...$37k does sound like a good price... but, with these cars, an extended warranty will go a long way in giving you piece of mind. I originally bought a low mileage '05 E63 645ci and early on it started showing signs of big issues so I traded it in for a 2009 CPO M6....I`ve had it since Jan 2013 and have the cpo warranty until late 2015 which does give me a good feeling.

Keep in mind that there was a significant change to the sound & nav systems for the 2010 M6. BMW installed a "hard" drive system with an upgraded software interface which gives you a lot more features than the older cd/DVD based system. You would be doing good if you could find a 2010 CPO M6 for sure...It will cost you a little more but, with the remaining factory warranty, cop warranty, and the upgraded systems...I would say you'd be in a more comfortable position!

Had I done my proper homework, I might have waited to find a 2010 CPO car but, I'm still very happy with what I got! Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did have SMG on the E46. The M6 SMG is way smoother as the E46 feels more like a manual. However there were still hints of the clunky shifts until the software update. I never did a software update on the E46 but I should have.

I went through a SMG Pump, Clutch and Flywheel change on the E46 at around 65k miles.

·
Registered
468 Posts
@rangerb3 - You can get that same HD navi system installed on the older model with about $2700 worth of parts :).
I`m aware of that but, I don't want to have to go that in-depth to get that add-on. Also, the stealer always seem to muck up the software parts of those upgrades when you take it in for service! Thanks for the suggestion...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to circle back to the forum on this post. A lot has happened over the past month and I finally purchased the M6 with the help from a local member (Rev Engineer / Dave) whom was gracious enough to take the time out of his day to not only visually inspect and drive the car, but also drop off the car at a local indy shop during the work week so they could perform a pre-purchase inspection.

I can't give you my personal feedback on the car just yet because I'm still overseas and will not return until later this year, but from the little seat time my father has had in the car along with Dave's comment from the test drive, the car drives great and is in excellent mechanical condition.

Thanks again for everyone that has contributed to the post with their advise and a big thanks to Dave for going above and beyond!!

Reactions: jimsm6
1 - 19 of 19 Posts