BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

8461 - 8480 of 8507 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well my supercharger decided to try and disassemble itself last night. Car started to sound like a clothes dryer full of pebbles and it turns out the bolt holding the pulley to the front of the blower came loose and dug a hole through the metal of the engine bay. Good news is it doesn't seem to have done much damage and I had a few other things I had to get taken care of while its at the shop.

Reactions: cold m3

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well my supercharger decided to try and disassemble itself last night. Car started to sound like a clothes dryer full of pebbles and it turns out the bolt holding the pulley to the front of the blower came loose and dug a hole through the metal of the engine bay. Good news is it doesn't seem to have done much damage and I had a few other things I had to get taken care of while its at the shop.
Glad it wasn't worse than it is! Think it was an install issue or something that needs to be checked periodically because it could back out?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not entirely sure. The shop says they definitely marked the bolt and torqued it to spec, they say the engine may have shifted and caused it (not sure exactly what that means) but as of when I dropped it off that was just speculation based on the limited pictures. One guess of mine is that it seems to not fit perfectly under the hood and there is a bit of resistance to close the hood all the way (mostly on the opposite side though) and that could have loosened it or put it at a slightly off angle so that it managed to vibrate itself out but I'm really not sure. So not sure if it was an install mistake, sub-par hardware issue, or just bad luck but either way it should be covered under the ESS warranty/Shop install warranty and not be too much of a headache. I'm just glad the pulley didn't totally come apart/give out while under load at 8000 rpm or something like that.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,646 Posts
The shop says they definitely marked the bolt and torqued it to spec, they say the engine may have shifted and caused it (not sure exactly what that means)
Oh 5hit!!! Glad it's going to be covered under warranty. If the engine "shifted", how do your motor mounts look?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Didn't really check much beyond the affected area. They said that when I dropped it off and they hadn't really taken a look at it yet. I think it was more of an off-hand guess on their part. The motor mounts are new though, replaced when I did the rod bearings about 1500 miles ago so I would hope they're still in perfect shape.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,646 Posts
Swapping ///m5s. Dropping the e28 for new master cylinder, reinforce/attach RSB, and fresh fluids before running Big Willow next week. Picked up the e60 after fresh fluids, installing AKG shifter, DSSR, and swapping springs. First time driving the e60 since April, as I was having too much fun in the e28. AKG shifter is butter and the new springs are much better for street/track v track/street.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

View attachment 950763
View attachment 950764
Wow that is actually a pretty terrible design - when the blower bearings let go, you're bouncing the screw axle off the front clip.

·
Registered
295 Posts
BBS FI Wheels

20x9.5 ET26 w/ 20mm spacer
265/35/20 Pirelli PZero

20x10.5 ET28 w/ 15mm spacer
295/30/20 Pirelli PZero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s awesome! I love BBS. My 20” CH-R’s were slightly lighter than my 19” OEM’s.

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Registered
295 Posts
And a few goodies for myself,
View attachment 951047
I was going to just get K&N but no one had the right filter in stock.
View attachment 951048
View attachment 951049
Carbotech on sale from Bimmerworld, I'll give them a go.
View attachment 951050
View attachment 951051
Not a sprint booster but the same concept, worth a go.
View attachment 951052
I keep mixing up the keys for the two cars, first world problem.
What’d ya get from Carbotech?

And I was thinking of trying speed buster. Isn’t it linked to an app on your phone?

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

8461 - 8480 of 8507 Posts