BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions and I was looking for some advice. I've done some research through the search on issues and problems with the 00's vs 01+, and although I found many threads saying the 01's + seemed to have less issues, I only found 2 things that seemed to cause problems. (VANOS being one) Are there anything else I should be looking into before signing on the dotted line?

The car in particular is a CPO'd 00 M5, Black w/ Caramel interior. Its got around 52k miles on it and they are asking $39,9 for it. As far as price goes, I've seen some 01's a little more, but anything CPO'd is usually 50k+.

Any thoughts and hints would be greatly appreciated. I know you guys see these threads often, and thank you in advance for your help. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have an '00 and have not had any vanos or oil consumption issues usually associated with the '00 model year.

I did have the heads replaced but, I believe that it was more of a result of running leaded gas in it for a few fill-ups vs the supposed design flaw.

$39,900 is high imo though - even an absolute cherry '00 at 52K should be at $35,000.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
tranck said:
I have an '00 and have not had any vanos or oil consumption issues usually associated with the '00 model year.

I did have the heads replaced but, I believe that it was more of a result of running leaded gas in it for a few fill-ups vs the supposed design flaw.

$39,900 is high imo though - even an absolute cherry '00 at 52K should be at $35,000.
Mine is 00 M5 with 177,000km and just replaced the gearbox, but fair to say had a hard life, on 2nd clutch and 3rd set of MAF's. Still runs well - vanos a bit noisy at start-up but clears up and braked discs close to replacement time. You have a long way to go before these issues so enjoy.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
willm5ad said:
Mine is 00 M5 with 177,000km and just replaced the gearbox, but fair to say had a hard life, on 2nd clutch and 3rd set of MAF's. Still runs well - vanos a bit noisy at start-up but clears up and braked discs close to replacement time. You have a long way to go before these issues so enjoy.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I agree with you tranck, I wasnt sure when I bought it but with the caramel interior it is really nice (see interior pics in my pics) The car is a bit windswept with sand as had some bad sandstorms here recently.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
54k on my 2000 (11/99 build), with no vanos problems through the car's history or noteworthy start-up noise during my ownership. Suspect we may tend to hear more from folks who have vanos problems than a 'silent majority' of 2000 owners who don't. 3rd party extended warranty after the CPO runs out is always prudent just in case, no matter what the MY. My 2000 is sheer joy with zero disappointments. If everything feels right and you have the CPO coverage, jump in... the water's great!! :M5thumbs:

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Was thinking about blacking out the grille surround but not so sure it would look right as mine has the window surrounds in chrome, what do you think tranck?
WillM5AD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies all.

I've talked them down a little on the price, not as much as I wish but frankly they've only had the car for 4 days. Not that it really should matter, but they are less inclined to give a better deal than if the car had been sitting on the lot for 2 months.

One final question -- vehicle history and service history. If I ask for a copy of its service history, is this something they can/should be giving me at my request?

Thanks again! :haha:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
sneakychaos said:
Thanks for the replies all.
One final question -- vehicle history and service history. If I ask for a copy of its service history, is this something they can/should be giving me at my request?
You mentioned it was CPO, therefore I assume you are buying it from a BMW NA dealer, in which case, you should insist upon seeing the service records. They will pull the records from their d-base based on the VIN. These records are rather sanitized in terms of the information, but you can definitely see the big stuff and have the coded items explained to you. If it is the same dealer at which the car was serviced, I would also ask to see the original records, which they will have in their file room. You may find additional helpful information in these records which might not appear in the computer printout. Salespersons are not 'supposed' to hand over these records to potential buyers for inspection due to privacy concerns, but an eager saleman will probably do it if he is sure you are serious about purchasing the car. Be sure to jot down the name/tele number of the previous owner(s) (er, when nobody's looking...) and don't be shy about giving the previous owner(s) a call later to talk about the car. I did all this and found it very reassuring to have the complete picture of previous ownership and history. You are about to make a substantial financial commitment to a used high performance vehicle that is potentially expensive to repair; therefore you should feel well justified to assertively pursue previous ownership and service history information.

Good luck... let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking the same, just checking. Supposedly the car was bought at this dealership, and was traded in here, so I see no reason why they wouldn't have service records. I'll see what I can come up with and go from there -- going to possibly pickup the car in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
sneakychaos said:
I was thinking the same, just checking. Supposedly the car was bought at this dealership, and was traded in here, so I see no reason why they wouldn't have service records. I'll see what I can come up with and go from there -- going to possibly pickup the car in 20 minutes.
The BMW Dealer should be able to pull up all the service records done at other dealerships.

Let us know how things work out. The price doesn't seem outrageous to me. Good luck!:byee55amg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, he showed me a dealer service records sheet, and as expected it only had the codes of what was done. He seemed less than interested to help identify what codes were what, which caught me a bit off guard to be honest. I managed to talk them down to $38,375 which IMO isn't a bad price for the car considering condition, etc.

Unfortunately, I decided to pass for now on the car. We couldn't agree on an interest rate (although I have great credit) to match a term I wanted to use (36mo). So, for now I'll hope its there when I return from my honeymoon (married in two weeks)... but, here are some pictures for you guys. Its just in beautiful condition.

Exterior:

Two Interior Shots:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
willm5ad said:
Was thinking about blacking out the grille surround but not so sure it would look right as mine has the window surrounds in chrome, what do you think tranck?
WillM5AD
I would keep it JUST as it is - don't mess with beauty.

·
Registered
766 Posts
SneakyChaos,

I'm offering a 00 M5, Black & Caramel, 74K miles, extend warr thru 108K miles and 12/07. Looking for $31K. I'm not far from DE. Lemme know if this is of any interest. Car runs and looks great, just lusting after an E60 M5.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Keep in mind that my GUESS is the cpo was done some time ago (AFAIK, the mileage must be under 50k to cpo it).

This would mean that the car as it currently sits doesn not necessarily have the benefit of a recent cpo inspection/certification.

just ask when the cpo was performed.

As we all know, the only thing the cpo is good for is the warranty, so don't think it is really a certification of the car's mechanical condition- that is best done by your own mechanic.

Congrats (on the marriage)- get the car later...

A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the notes guys.

The main interest in the 2000 was the low mileage. At this point, I'll be looking for a 01+ after we return from the honeymoon, with much more to put down I'm hoping.

:thumbsup: hiha

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hello!
If the dealer CPO'd the car they should also have the BMW checklist showing all the improvements or what the tolerances were. For example, if the brake pads were not changed, what was the depth. You can view this check sheet thru BMWUSA web site. You can also see all the current M5's that are certified, dealers and prices. They are a rare car, so I was willing to travel as far as it would take to get the right one.
Good luck and have blessed marriage!!!! :haha2:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I purchased my 2000 M5, with 37k on the clock CPO 'till 6/06, December '04. I paid $38,900. So IMHO $39,900 is a bit high for your car. Definetly haggle a bit more! Good Luck with your purchase.

BTW no issues with VANOS or oil consumtion. 4/11/00 build date.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
tranck said:
I would keep it JUST as it is - don't mess with beauty.
Will,

I second Tranck´s opinion. You have a very beautiful M5. I don´t think puttnig a black liner around the nostrils would make it better. If you want to check how it would look, play a little with Photoshop.

I particulary like the Oxford/Chrome look. It is very sophisticated, and very brittish. It positively radiates Racing Heritage, in an elegant way.

Best Regs,

David

1 - 20 of 34 Posts