BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am new here. Been studying about the E60 M5. Currently looking at a 2006, black on black, 10k miles, SMG, like new, great maintenance record. Two days ago had a PPI done by a BMW dealer with a great report of the car. TBO, not too happy w the PPI, I have seen where I get pictures and a long report, this dealer just called to tell me that the car was in exceptional conditions and sent me a 3 page report (Lame).
This won't be my daily driver, just weekend enjoyment and running errands after work. I am well aware of all the issues and I can DIY most of it. IMO, at low miles I can perform the rod bearings @ 50k as routine maintenance.
Long story short, I have always like this car and the V10 makes it a true and possibly last M of its class. I was going to buy a newer Honda Accord but this would feel special, I love Hondas and owned several but let's be honest, nothing special about a Accord. My work car is a 01 Civic (Love it).
* Please any words of encouragement or discouragement are welcomed.*
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,970 Posts
Definitely not the cheapest out there, but definitely the closest to a new car.
Where is the car located? Was the PPI from the seller (the dealership) — like the fox guarding the hen house!

You said it had a great maintenance history — go for it!! I’ve had mine for 11 years. The first thing I’d do is get some modern rubber. If it’s sitting on OEM PS2s, the tires are stones and likely aged out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If that really is an all original 10K 06' that's a pretty rare car and would definitely get it. I have had my 06' for about 5 years now and am just now molding into it. I think no matter what year, or miles, if you buy one of these cars you are in for the financial and emotional ride of your life when it comes to an automobile. It's true there really is no replacing the awesome feel and the props you will get from tooling around your area, BUT you will pay for it sooner or later. I have been through hell and high water as I am committed to owning this vehicle. I absolutely love it. You have the right idea. You can really only own one if you can do some work yourself. The first think I did when I bought mine was a full coolant system flush and test. Then I would replace all fluids, oil, diff, etc. maybe plan to throw in new sparks, and look at all the vacuum hoses since they might be cracked etc. New air filters. I bought AFEs. I have heard that these things just sitting around is not really great either since the engine needs to be rev'd up to keep in shape so even though it's low miles there may be some noids that pop up during your break in period that will need to be addressed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I honestly cant think of a situation where I’d recommend anyone buy one of these cars lol. Ive had mine for 11 years now haha

but good luck with it if you buy it….it sounds like a clean example.
Lol, my sentiment exactly. Ffs I had a quarter tank and less than a 50 mile range showing lol, makes zero sense. That’s like 4 gallons of fuel haha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is the car located? Was the PPI from the seller (the dealership) — like the fox guarding the hen house!
You said it had a great maintenance history — go for it!! I’ve had mine for 11 years. The first thing I’d do is get some modern rubber. If it’s sitting on OEM PS2s, the tires are stones and likely aged out.
The car is in IL, ended up there by a trade, it was from the AZ area so that's good. The PPI was not done by the dealer selling the car. They said it had 8 to 9mm of rubber but I'll ask the dealer to give me dates on those tires, they seem to be Continental Extreme Contact. If they aren't too old I could get 2 years out of them and then get some Michelin 4s.
(y)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If that really is an all original 10K 06' that's a pretty rare car and would definitely get it. I have had my 06' for about 5 years now and am just now molding into it. I think no matter what year, or miles, if you buy one of these cars you are in for the financial and emotional ride of your life when it comes to an automobile. It's true there really is no replacing the awesome feel and the props you will get from tooling around your area, BUT you will pay for it sooner or later. I have been through hell and high water as I am committed to owning this vehicle. I absolutely love it. You have the right idea. You can really only own one if you can do some work yourself. The first think I did when I bought mine was a full coolant system flush and test. Then I would replace all fluids, oil, diff, etc. maybe plan to throw in new sparks, and look at all the vacuum hoses since they might be cracked etc. New air filters. I bought AFEs. I have heard that these things just sitting around is not really great either since the engine needs to be rev'd up to keep in shape so even though it's low miles there may be some noids that pop up during your break in period that will need to be addressed.
Totally agree with you, there is something attractive of a low miles cars but they are things that will deteriorate and not be alright if is parked for too long. I like your idea of refreshing all the fluids, and I can start my own maintenance log fresh... I'm a nerd, I have an app to track my car maintenance 🙃.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, my sentiment exactly. Ffs I had a quarter tank and less than a 50 mile range showing lol, makes zero sense. That’s like 4 gallons of fuel haha.
[/QUOT
Sounds like a bankruptcy waiting to happen with this car. :LOL:(y)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You can't go wrong. The car and parts are still 16 years old and if you don't have records it hasn't been done. I have two currently, an SMG and a Manual. DO NOT drive the SMG in auto mode, always shift manually. It will take awhile to get used to it but when you do there is nothing else like it.

If you can DIY and know how to run a laptop you will save a ton of money on diagnosis. Get INPA or ISTA and nothing else for troubleshooting. Good luck and you are in the correct place for help and support.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You can't go wrong. The car and parts are still 16 years old and if you don't have records it hasn't been done. I have two currently, an SMG and a Manual. DO NOT drive the SMG in auto mode, always shift manually. It will take awhile to get used to it but when you do there is nothing else like it.

If you can DIY and know how to run a laptop you will save a ton of money on diagnosis. Get INPA or ISTA and nothing else for troubleshooting. Good luck and you are in the correct place for help and support.
Luckly they are actual maintenance records so that's a plus... Will driving the SMG w the paddles decrease the possibility of tranny failure?
Thanks for the laptop tip, I'll definitely look in to that if I pull the trigger, if I do it will be in this upcoming week or so. (y)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I am wondering what you will find in the maintenance record.. a single oil change!!!. This is one of the best second hand M5 you could get and experience. I would only reference complied with recalls just for the record.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am wondering what you will find in the maintenance record.. a single oil change!!!. This is one of the best second hand M5 you could get and experience. I would only reference complied with recalls just for the record.
Belive it or not it has like 9 oil changes, I was very impressed... I seen some with 30k and less maintenance records. I definitely intend to keep a good maintenance on it. They checked for all recalls and it came up clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sooner or later the tranny will go. It's the hydraulics that's the mthrfkr. I rebuilt mine, and I literally got lucky with an actuator that had resheathed wiring from another 10K mile car from the Board. Everything else I pieced together with new, maybe 4K in parts. Might be just easier to lay down the 8K for a new hydraulic system. Anyway, I think anyone that has ever owned an SMG has had to rebuild it at some point.

Reactions: hswan1180

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sooner or later the tranny will go. It's the hydraulics that's the mthrfkr. I rebuilt mine, and I literally got lucky with an actuator that had resheathed wiring from another 10K mile car from the Board. Everything else I pieced together with new, maybe 4K in parts. Might be just easier to lay down the 8K for a new hydraulic system. Anyway, I think anyone that has ever owned an SMG has had to rebuild it at some point.
Thanks for the warning... But yes, i havent heard the best about the SMG.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wait a minute. SMG's bad rap came for the E46 M3 where BMW overlaid the system onto a manual transmission. The E60's SMG transmission is a dedicated unit, and much more reliable. Yes I guess there are pump failures, but nothing like the E46's. Also if you try to find a 6 speed M5 with 10k on the clock, you will pay up the nose as they are just much more rare and of course desirable. I have owned my SMG M5 for a couple of years now, and I love it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wait a minute. SMG's bad rap came for the E46 M3 where BMW overlaid the system onto a manual transmission. The E60's SMG transmission is a dedicated unit, and much more reliable. Yes I guess there are pump failures, but nothing like the E46's. Also if you try to find a 6 speed M5 with 10k on the clock, you will pay up the nose as they are just much more rare and of course desirable. I have owned my SMG M5 for a couple of years now, and I love it.
To be fair the additional actuator on the M3 to that does the actual shifts is extremely reliable. The rest of the components are similar in both systems and I would say have similar reliability with an edge to the M3 (solenoids are more reliable, electric motor for the pump is easier to change, seals and reconditioning doesnt seem to be as common as i have seen on the SMG 3). The myth started on both because dealers are unwilling to ever change components on either system and shove an 8k bill at customer's. Whatever the case, both can be repaired for a sane amount of money, especially if you diy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I remember wanting a E46 in 2008 but stayed away because SMG issues. Not specifically looking for the manual, I am ok with the SMG... (y)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts