BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reposting as the previous post didn't seem to go through.

Hi M5Board! First time poster here. I recently got a '00 M5 and was messing around with the DME coding. Before I did anything I used BMWFlash and backed up both full and partial (512K and 32K, respectively) binaries. I modified my partial binary and tried to flash it back with BMWFlash. After the flash finished I turned the key to 0 and waited for 30 seconds before trying to start it. The car would only crank and seemed like the DME was stopping the car from starting.

I panicked and I tried to flash the full binary back with BMWFlash. Car still only cranks and won't start. I then reset the flash count with MSSFlasher, which very possibly wrote data to the EEPROM. Still no luck there. Finally I tried a full binary flash with MSSFlasher, now the car behaves even weirder: The engine won't even crank when I tries to turn the car on, instead the water temp and tach goes to max, and the oil them would sometimes stay lowest and sometimes go to max. The cluster is warning me about low oil and high coolant temp (which neither are true). I searched around and some people suggested to disconnect the battery for a while and use winkfp. I kept my battery disconnected for hours and the same behavior still persisted and winkfp won't connect.

I'm not sure if I practically bricked my DME at this point. I'm super frustrated since this is my first ECU coding experience. Thus I'm writing to seek some help from the experts here regarding how I should approach this. At this point I'm assuming the worst - towing it to a mechanic and replace the DME, but I'd really appreciate if that can be avoided.

Thank you for reading and thank you all for you help in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reposting as the previous post didn't seem to go through.

Hi M5Board! First time poster here. I recently got a '00 M5 and was messing around with the DME coding. Before I did anything I used BMWFlash and backed up both full and partial (512K and 32K, respectively) binaries. I modified my partial binary and tried to flash it back with BMWFlash. After the flash finished I turned the key to 0 and waited for 30 seconds before trying to start it. The car would only crank and seemed like the DME was stopping the car from starting.

I panicked and I tried to flash the full binary back with BMWFlash. Car still only cranks and won't start. I then reset the flash count with MSSFlasher, which very possibly wrote data to the EEPROM. Still no luck there. Finally I tried a full binary flash with MSSFlasher, now the car behaves even weirder: The engine won't even crank when I tries to turn the car on, instead the water temp and tach goes to max, and the oil them would sometimes stay lowest and sometimes go to max. The cluster is warning me about low oil and high coolant temp (which neither are true). I searched around and some people suggested to disconnect the battery for a while and use winkfp. I kept my battery disconnected for hours and the same behavior still persisted and winkfp won't connect.

I'm not sure if I practically bricked my DME at this point. I'm super frustrated since this is my first ECU coding experience. Thus I'm writing to seek some help from the experts here regarding how I should approach this. At this point I'm assuming the worst - towing it to a mechanic and replace the DME, but I'd really appreciate if that can be avoided.

Thank you for reading and thank you all for you help in advance.

I had my DME in a similar state when I was updating the program with ISTA-P.
It seems it’s incredibly hard to truly brick an MSS52.
I believe the boot file got corrupted.
I resurrected it by programming it with DIS V44. (Make sure you have a very stable 12.8v power supply)
I’ve subsequently used ECUWorx and BMWFLash and MSSFlasher on it without issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I resurrected it by programming it with DIS V44. (Make sure you have a very stable 12.8v power supply)
Hi Rosie! Thanks for your reply.

I did a quick search and seems like there's a newer version of DIS, the V57. Do you think that will work or do I need the V44 for E39 M5?

Also if it's not too much trouble can you briefly go through how you restored your DME using DIS? Did you use it with a K+DCAN cable?

Thanks,
Leonard

·
Registered
95 Posts
V57 doesn’t have programming, only diagnostics. V44 was the last version of DIS that had programming, ZCS Coding and Retrofits.
After V44 you then need SSS or Progman.
I used a GT1 head that I had access to but a K+D Can cable should work fine.
I’d suggest trying to diagnose or change some Car/Key memory settings to make sure the cable is working properly before you attempt the programming.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Reach out to member blackknight530i. He does all of my DME programming and EWS deletes. I have many DME's available if you end up need one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After V44 you then need SSS or Progman.
Is it possible you can PM me where you downloaded V44 and SSS or can you share yours with me somehow... I'm having a bit of trouble finding reliable sources and it seems the link we have in an earlier thread here got banned by DropBox.

Thanks,
Leonard

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
WinKFP is the easiest way to flash back to stock, but requires a bit of an understanding of how to use it and you'll need either BMW Standard Tools 2.12 or Mike's Easy BMW Tools package. You'll then likely need to download the ECU data and import it from the daten files. There should be a subforum for setting it up on bimmerforums, so just search for it and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

If you would rather send me the DME, I can take care of flashing it back to stock. You can also email me the full read you got from BMWFlash originally and I can use a special programmer that flashes the memory directly instead of going through the OBD2 cable, which will fix any issues with the boot section being corrupted, in case it can't be fixed using WinKFP.

Send me an email to [email protected] and I'll take care of you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rosie, I hope you had a great weekend :)

I just realized I cannot send PMs yet. I got my DIS v44 and PROGMAN all set up this weekend too. I'll attempt to restore my ECU this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Rosie,

I got your PM. A quick question on power supply when coding: I understand we need at least 12.8V, but how many amps are required for our E39 DMEs? I heard different answers from 45A to 70A..

Thanks,
Leonard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts