BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm relatively new here although I've had my M5 for about 5 months now. It has always been a relatively noisy engine on cold starts but I wasn't really too worried about it because I had heard that they were noisy engines and assumed it was normal, maybe slightly on the noisier side but not out of the ordinary. I usually park alone with no cars next to me when I do drive this car (it's not my DD) but I took it out to dinner last week and had other cars parked next to me. I started the car with the windows down and the noise reverberating off the car next to me was questionable. It has probably sounded like this throughout my entire ownership but I never noticed how loud it was until last night. I took a video of a cold start over the weekend and am hoping to get your experienced opinions on it. The sound quality isn't great but hopefully it's enough to work with. I haven't had a single fault with the car yet (knock on wood) and it still drives flawlessly. 06 with 123k miles. Maybe I'm just overreacting and letting the stories about this car get to me, but I want to be sure. Thanks. (I know, new front tires are coming soon!)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey guys, I'm relatively new here although I've had my M5 for about 5 months now. It has always been a relatively noisy engine on cold starts but I wasn't really too worried about it because I had heard that they were noisy engines and assumed it was normal, maybe slightly on the noisier side but not out of the ordinary. I usually park alone with no cars next to me when I do drive this car (it's not my DD) but I took it out to dinner last week and had other cars parked next to me. I started the car with the windows down and the noise reverberating off the car next to me was questionable. It has probably sounded like this throughout my entire ownership but I never noticed how loud it was until last night. I took a video of a cold start over the weekend and am hoping to get your experienced opinions on it. The sound quality isn't great but hopefully it's enough to work with. I haven't had a single fault with the car yet (knock on wood) and it still drives flawlessly. 06 with 123k miles. Maybe I'm just overreacting and letting the stories about this car get to me, but I want to be sure. Thanks. (I know, new front tires are coming soon!)

Mine sounds like that...I have been told that sounds normal.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like vanos to me. With no codes just keep driving it. I have been researching this long before I bought my car and think I have it figured out. There is a spring in the exhaust cam gear that gets weak. It was redesigned in later models.

Unless you get codes don't bother with the solenoids. If you do decide mess with the vanos just buy the whole assembly for $2500/side. There has been a redesign of that part as well. Keep the oil fresh it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like vanos to me. With no codes just keep driving it. I have been researching this long before I bought my car and think I have it figured out. There is a spring in the exhaust cam gear that gets weak. It was redesigned in later models.

Unless you get codes don't bother with the solenoids. If you do decide mess with the vanos just buy the whole assembly for $2500/side. There has been a redesign of that part as well. Keep the oil fresh it's cheap insurance.
Thanks guys, definitely am keeping the oil fresh.

·
Registered
267 Posts

That diesel truck engine kinda sound.. sounds like my S85 :p.. I rev mine high all the time AFTER proper warm up and it purrs on idle after that..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm back, and now I don't think my engine noise is normal. I took another video tonight, haven't had the car out too much since last time but the internet makes you paranoid so here I am. I have a (not so faint) knock coming from the driver's side valve cover. I took a video, hopefully you can hear it over the injector noise. 38 F outside, no fault codes. The passenger side is not nearly as loud. My car has a muffler delete so hard to know if it goes away with revs or what. It sounds like it's coming from right under the ionic current control unit on the driver's side. I just recently replaced my thermostat and I hadn't noticed this sound before. Is my Vanos unit about to give up the ghost on that side? Let me know what you guys think. When I first heard it I got very paranoid about rod knock but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the bottom end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Selenoids for sure.
First of all - make bleeding procedure twice,maybe you have some air bubbles in the system. Make a vanos ISTAd test. Show numbers.
After that - good cleaning of all selenoids and bleeding procedure.

If there's no silence - smash the piggy bank and collect money for new selenoids.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I forgot the most important thing. Check the VANOS pump pressure--> min 70 BAR after cold start.
If it is less, check the pressure VANOS hoses.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Vanos noise. If you have no codes and the car runs fine how much money do you want to spend to make the noise go away? Adjustment assemblies, $2500/side, Exhaust cam gear, $1000/ side, Vanos oil pump and you may as well do the rod bearings $5000.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Vanos noise. If you have no codes and the car runs fine how much money do you want to spend to make the noise go away? Adjustment assemblies, $2500/side, Exhaust cam gear, $1000/ side, Vanos oil pump and you may as well do the rod bearings $5000.
Really!?
What can be done (maintenance wise) to prevent this from happening!!?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I’d rather not spend upwards of $10k+ on getting rid of a noise, but am I right in thinking this is destined for failure soon? I’m probably going to try cleaning solenoids first, then replace them if that doesn’t work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Keep in mind that I have only had my car seven months. It has been making that noise since day one. I have changed o-rings and solenoids with no change. My E38 had a similar noise and I drove 30k before fixing it. If you are not getting codes just drive and enjoy the car. I have done extensive research and read about a lot of people throwing money away on this problem. The DME watches the engine closely with tons of sensors, let it tell you when you need to mess around. BTW I heard this noise from every car that I test drove before I bought the one I have. Just be prepared for the cost when the day comes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind that I have only had my car seven months. It has been making that noise since day one. I have changed o-rings and solenoids with no change. My E38 had a similar noise and I drove 30k before fixing it. If you are not getting codes just drive and enjoy the car. I have done extensive research and read about a lot of people throwing money away on this problem. The DME watches the engine closely with tons of sensors, let it tell you when you need to mess around. BTW I heard this noise from every car that I test drove before I bought the one I have. Just be prepared for the cost when the day comes.
I’m prepared for the cost, I knew what I was getting in to before I bought it. That’s why I waited and why it’s not my only car. Thanks for your input, I’m going to take your advice and keep enjoying it until it tells me something is wrong, then fix it and keep enjoying it. I’ll be sure to update this thread when it comes time to replace something associated with this noise

1 - 14 of 14 Posts