BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That torquey V8 certainly wouldn't have any problems :rolleyes:

Thinking about towing an e36 track car to and from the track. Total weight would probably be ~3200lbs with car and trailer.

... it would sure be great to not have to drive a truck ouich

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
No. I would certainly not put that much strain on the clutch.

That sounds a bit optimistic for the weight. Even a lightweight aluminum trailer is 600-700 pounds. I don't think you could get a gutted, caged E36 down to 2600lbs, but perhaps it's possible...?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I would certainly not put that much strain on the clutch.

That sounds a bit optimistic for the weight. Even a lightweight aluminum trailer is 600-700 pounds. I don't think you could get a gutted, caged E36 down to 2600lbs, but perhaps it's possible...?
e36 is about 2700, but I guess I was underestimating the trailer. Not that much alu to be that heavy :(

Do we know what the tow capacity of the e39 is?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If i were you i would rent a Uhaul truck for $20 buck + milege. its not work the risk of spending thousands (cluch, differential and many other little things that might go wrong)

·
Registered
13,002 Posts
Own a truck, would like to not have to drive it
It is possible, but I would guess not with the stock hitch. It doesn't have enough beef. The car has plenty of power, not sure how the clutch would do on takeoff. I would guess safe weight about 2500 is the max. You could probably get a custom hitch done, but i don't think I would do that to my M5.

And when figuring weight, don't forget the spare wheels and tires as well as all the tools. They add plenty of weight too.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure the car has plenty of pulling power, but what about stopping power. I would go with the U-Haul idea.
brembos and 265 PS2s up front = better stopping power than my truck :)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is possible, but I would guess not with the stock hitch. It doesn't have enough beef. The car has plenty of power, not sure how the clutch would do on takeoff. I would guess safe weight about 2500 is the max. You could probably get a custom hitch done, but i don't think I would do that to my M5.

And when figuring weight, don't forget the spare wheels and tires as well as all the tools. They add plenty of weight too.
Regards,
Jerry
hmmm... true :(

I have an aftermarket clutch so I'm less concerned about that, but things do start to get heavy when you factor in all the extra

·
10,459 Posts
do an advanced search using member louv name as the poster. Alternatively, i could look in my bmw towbar literature tonight to see what the rating is. i also remember around 3600lbs or so.

·
Registered
180 Posts
brembos and 265 PS2s up front = better stopping power than my truck :)

I'm sure your car has plenty of stopping power for a 4025lb car, but what about 6725lb. Does your trailer have brakes? There is more to stopping a 2700 lb trailer than good car brakes. I have a 3200lb motorcycle trailer that I pull with an F-250 powerstroke diesel. I still have to plan ahead when I stop or engage into a turn. When I pull the same trailer with my wifes Navigator it still pushes the tail end around even with the trailer brakes. The M5 is not designed to be a car hauler.

·
Registered
13,002 Posts
I'm sure your car has plenty of stopping power for a 4025lb car, but what about 6725lb. Does your trailer have brakes? There is more to stopping a 2700 lb trailer than good car brakes. I have a 3200lb motorcycle trailer that I pull with an F-250 powerstroke diesel. I still have to plan ahead when I stop or engage into a turn. When I pull the same trailer with my wifes Navigator it still pushes the tail end around even with the trailer brakes. The M5 is not designed to be a car hauler.
That is because your trailer has surge brakes (check to see how good they are). Sounds like you don't have enough rear brake being applied.
Add electric (adjustable from the cockpit) brakes, whole new ballgame.:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
I wouldnt do it or attempt it but in europe I have seen many cars towing cars to the track. I have seen quite a few mercedes wagons towing track cars...

Ryan

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My car is in the shop this month, or I'd go look at the sticker in the trunk... but I seem to recall that the towing rating of the factory hitch is 3800 lbs.

I think to safely pull that full weight capacity of the hitch, you need electric brakes on the trailer. (and therefore a brake controller in the car).

Also note, the tongue weight limit is rather light, 200lb if I recall correctly. So you would need to very carefully balance the load on the trailer, otherwise you may find your rear bumper stripped off the back of your car. That would be sad. (and dangerous if moving).

·
Registered
180 Posts
That is because your trailer has surge brakes (check to see how good they are). Sounds like you don't have enough rear brake being applied.
Add electric (adjustable from the cockpit) brakes, whole new ballgame.:thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

My boat trailer has surge brakes. My motorcycle trailer has electric. I wouldn't use my M5 to pull either.;)

·
Registered
13,002 Posts
My boat trailer has surge brakes. My motorcycle trailer has electric. I wouldn't use my M5 to pull either.;)
Jeff
I wouldn't either, but I could!:biggrinbounce:
My point was, if the trailer was pushing around the tail of your Navigator, then either there is way too much tongue weight or more likely, not enough braking from the trailer. So, check your trailer brakes, the Nav should pull that without any trouble.

I use a '02 ML500 which is rated over 5000 lbs here (and 7700 lbs in Europe, must be our U.S. lawyers!:1:) and I can hardly tell I have a trailer and race car behind me. So if your Nav is getting pushed, I suspect a trailer brake issue.

But look at the bright side, no trailer hesitation when warm!!!:1::1:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts