BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using an el cheapo casette adapter to play my ipod right now (just can't afford the dice or intravee yet). But quite a bit of time it will switch over to tape side B. There is no sound, so I have to press mode button, then mode button again, and it will switch back to side A and play my music. Sometimes it will go for an hour without switching, sometimes about 4 seconds - very random.

So I'm wondering if there is any possible way to make the deck only play side A of the tape.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Auto revers tape players usually detect the speed of rotation of the supply spool to detect when to reverse. It's possible that the tape adapter you have either does not turn the supply spool fast enough or with enough torque. It's also possible that your tape deck is slightly faulty, maybe a bit of fluff in the rotation sensor (usually a slotted wheel with LED and sensor on the other side).

Try reversing the tape adapter and using 'Side B' rather than Side A and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
i agree with RichardP's reasoning - but think you might have better results with a different elcheapo type cassette adapter that appears to have a better solid build.

G/L

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I guess I need to start saving some pennies for an actual ipod adapter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It has been a long time. But I once had one of those and inside there was a rubberband thing that gave the spool a little tension. It got jammed once and I had to unscrew the thing and clean it all up so it would spin again.

cheap fix, but may work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts