BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spoke with Eric, the brains behind the Stealthone. Although I don't think Jaric Design is around anymore, he still is able to produce Stealthone units. After some discussion, here's what he came up with. I think it's a hell of a deal:

We would need around 20 or more people for the group buy to take place. The cost would be $450 per person, and you would receive not 1 but 2 Stealthone units. This is an incredible price given that they are going for $500+ on eBay and the forums.

Production and delivery would take between 6-8 weeks (as there are no units currently sitting in inventory) and the money would need to be given up front to foot the production costs. That's a little unfortunate, but again try to find a Stealthone and it may take you 6 weeks just to source one.

This thread isn't quite a group buy yet so I decided to post it here to gauge interest. So if you or you're buddies are interested here is the place to find out. Also if you have any questions I can answer them here.

So who's down? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Just what exactly is a stealthone? Is it related to te Valentine One?

Search Police can settle down, it would be a good idea to actually post what it is, in case people who arent familiar with the product (like me) know whats going on and may jump in on the deal.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I recently spoke with Eric, the brains behind the Stealthone. Although I don't think Jaric Design is around anymore, he still is able to produce Stealthone units. After some discussion, here's what he came up with. I think it's a hell of a deal:

We would need around 20 or more people for the group buy to take place. The cost would be $450 per person, and you would receive not 1 but 2 Stealthone units. This is an incredible price given that they are going for $500+ on eBay and the forums.

Production and delivery would take between 6-8 weeks (as there are no units currently sitting in inventory) and the money would need to be given up front to foot the production costs. That's a little unfortunate, but again try to find a Stealthone and it may take you 6 weeks just to source one.

This thread isn't quite a group buy yet so I decided to post it here to gauge interest. So if you or you're buddies are interested here is the place to find out. Also if you have any questions I can answer them here.

So who's down? :thumbsup:
I have one, but if Eric can confirm it also works on the R56 Mini Cooper, I will go for two more.

No bad motives attributed to Eric, but are there any assurances the monies will be used for production? I don't mind if I can do it with a credit card for a little more protection.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
what is the Stealthone? no clue

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Stealthone is a unit that integrates your V1 with your car's iBus system. Simply put, it connects to the V1 and your car to display the V1 information (direction, number of bogies, signal strength, which band, etc.) on your monitor or dash or both. It's very customizable and relatively easy to install. It also auto-accepts your nav screen upon startup if you turn that option on.

Doing a search (I know you don't want to hear that) will provide you with install instructions and anecdotal reviews. It's a great product, and worth its weight in gold.

A good thread with information:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60050&highlight=stealthone

If anyone has any pictures or links to other information it would be appreciated. :cheers:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
So this is an add-on to the V1. Gotcha.

Is it completely independent from your entertainment system (for example, you can't use Intravee on a pre-08-2000 car without getting a new radio or harness -I'm trying to figure that out)?

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
So this is an add-on to the V1. Gotcha.

Is it completely independent from your entertainment system (for example, you can't use Intravee on a pre-08-2000 car without getting a new radio or harness -I'm trying to figure that out)?
Simply works with the V1 radar detector as indicated above. It has nothing to do with any of the entertainment system, other than perhaps overriding the display when the radar detector goes off. If you have a V1 and this group buy materializes, GET IT. You can even pair up and split the cost with another board member, since the deal is $500 for 2 units.

And if Eric is doing a run, I assume he can make a run of the upgrade cables that plug into the V1. I think they were about $20 when they were being sold.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Good points.

BUT:

If the point of this is to make everything stealthy, that means that you wouldnt be placing the V1 in the windshield next to the mirror (like a lot of people do). Is this right?

If so, then how does it not affect detection? I read that it's best to have it mounted up high so that it picks up signals further away.

Now, if you'd still need to leave the V1 mounted next to the mirror, what is the point of the stealth one? What I'm basically asking is how is it possible to keep the full capabilities by hiding it (if that's even the case).

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Good points.

BUT:

If the point of this is to make everything stealthy, that means that you wouldnt be placing the V1 in the windshield next to the mirror (like a lot of people do). Is this right?

If so, then how does it not affect detection? I read that it's best to have it mounted up high so that it picks up signals further away.

Now, if you'd still need to leave the V1 mounted next to the mirror, what is the point of the stealth one? What I'm basically asking is how is it possible to keep the full capabilities by hiding it (if that's even the case).
I have mine on the right edge of the drivers visor. With the alcantara liner, it is almost impossible to see.

The stealth factor is in the lights on the unit do not light up (except on startup). This means that any one travelling behind you cannot tell you have the unit on. Plus, I find looking at my dash display to be very natural, easier than reading the unit since I can glance down.

The display on the dash is one of the reasons I like it better than the V1 mirror (ignoring cost) because even with that, the display can still be seen outside the car.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
683 Posts
Good points.

BUT:

Coolness...:15:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
So this thing basically makes it look like your V1 is off by making the info display on the nav screen and/or(?) the gauge cluster?

Another question: I normally travel with my nav screen off. It comes on whenever I change CD. Would it turn on whenever there's a warning from the V1?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have my V1 / Stealthone combo hidden up in the headliner where the garage (Homelink) system would have gone. It's completely invisible, and thanks to the Stealthone I get the V1 information right on my dash display.

The Stealth's display overrides all else on the monitor, it's essentially a box which appears over the other things, but matches the format (appearance) of the nav system. Also the monitor display is an option which you may (I have) disable.

Here's a link with information on the Stealth V1 install: http://www.540i6.com/v1.html It's easier in the M5 because we have that box cover that's removable, and the slim V1 along with the Stealthone fit right in there without making any bumps or anything.

If I was in CA with my car I'd post pictures of my install and the Stealthone display but I'm abroad at the moment. If any happy S1 users are reading this, pictures would be appreciated. Also chime in if you have a S1, I'm sure the reviews will be positive.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm in. Who's starting the list...

1. Nabio
2. DouglasABaker
3. ard [tentative]
4. gherardini

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
just quote the last listed message and add your name so it'll be easier to keep track.

1. Nabio
2. DouglasABaker
3. ard [tentative]
4. gherardini
5. JizJizJiz [tentative]
6. johnneurauter

1 - 20 of 258 Posts