BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am ready to purchase a 00 M5 but wanted a few info from you before I pulled the trigger.
The car is a 2000 M5 silver with all black interior.
Is this a good color combo you think?
Car has 27k Miles.
does that mean it still has factory warranty?

What do I need to be concerned about as far as buying this car?
It has new tires. Is a one owner and I know he has takenexcelent care of teh car as he used to be my boss :), and well he is also a friend. Ohh it also has never been in a crash

The car has some scuffs on the rear bumper, a few scratches on the rims, but nothing major. I did notice it still had the black dials on the dash and not the new gray one.
I will of course get it inspected but wanted to have some feedback.
Do I need to be concerned about the clutch ? Brakes ? Recalls ? Known problems ? What ???

also the price is 45K in the DC area, is that a fair price, high, low...

thank you for your help

·
Registered
68 Posts
Silver with black is beautiful. I have the exact same car with 47,000 miles. Price seems high to me for a less than supermint car. Check to see when or if the clutch was replaced. It may need brakes (depending on his driving style) soon too if they haven't been replaced. Warranty depends on the in-service date. I believe it is 4yrs/50,000. An aftermarket warranty will run you about 3500.00 dollars.

Good Luck
Peter M

·
Registered
400 Posts
I like the silver and black combo. Swirl marks dont show well on silver cars.

Miles are nice and low for the year build.

Drive it and make sure its not pulling one way or the other.

New tires is a big deal, their pricey.

Warranty is gone or soon will be probably.

Has it had inspection 1 done to it yet? Ask.

Have them do a leakdown/compression check on the car, costs extra but worth it.

Make sure they check the codes to see if anything is cropping up.

Make sure all the interior electronics are in good working order, including the heated seats.

About the clutch. Do you feel expert enough to evaluate this yourself ? If not, then you have to let the BMW dealer thats going to inspect it for you make the call. They say you can drive in second at about 4000rpm and then put your foot into it, and if it is going to slip, it will do it then. I just dont know how bad the clutch would be if it did it then, might still be OK if you are not a very enthusiastic driver. That will, however, change the more you drive the car. I can tell you only this, my car when I bought it last March had 27K on the clock and the clutch is just fine. Depends entirely on the previous driver.

If it all checks out good, the price is not totally out of line for those miles, but offer 42,500 anyway. He may be your friend, but haggle anyway. With the 500-1000 you might save you can get a radar detector and Lidatec Le-30 laser jammer. That will help with the insurance, but dont tell them you have that stuff,:p Dont sell these mods short, once you have this car it is almost impossible to keep your foot out of the accelerator, it's that compelling. And get some chapstick, you will be smiling so much you wont want your lips to crack.

If the clutch is slipping deduct an appropriate amount for a new factory clutch. Thats all you can expect, and that would be a fair deal. The clutch is no deal killer here.

I'm not one who believes that the e39 M5 prices are going to tumble real bad very soon. I do believe that the e60 M5 prices will rocket up when the dollar takes it's next inevitable spanking. That should keep e39's real popular for a while.

Check the brakes visually. Should be only a bare minimum of scratching on them if any at all. Pads are easy to change and are not that expensive.

vanos rattle is a known problem, but not a serious one. They have a fix for that, and if you complain about it, they will do it, probably out of goodwill.

Check to see if it has aftermarket airfilters or factory ones. If the filters are the aftermarket oiled type there is a possibility you will need new MAFS at some near point in time.

Make sure they check the battery conditioin very carefully. It's likely if it is the original battery it is nearing the end of its useful life. BMW batteries are expensive, but it can be more expensive to be stranded somewhere when the car wont start.

Thats all I can think of for now. Good Hunting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check instrument cluster for pixel clarity. There was a high incidence of the black faced clusters failing. $ 950.00 for new gray part, but covered under warranty if still alive.....go to dealer with VIN number and they can pull the service history for the car.....check it over to ensure it has up to date maintenance and if not negotiate for lower price. 45K a little high, but miles are low, so I would offer 40 and settle somewhere in between.......nice combo on colors....

PETE has given good advice and check to see if any warranty left and if the car can be CPO'd by BMW dealer.....

I bought mine with 40k a year ago, paid 45k, no trouble at all over next 22k.....clutch slips in all stock M5s if you don't "hook up" properly......just stay off the gas until the right time when you shift.....takes a while to get used to....stick to maintenance schedule and car should last for some time...... :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
make sure the vanos has been done and the clutch is good, i dont think there is any really easy way to check the clutch unless you take the tranny down.. i know theres some way to look at the clutch disc but not sure how.
take it to a bmw dealer and pay to have them do a cpo inpsection (not that they'll let you cpo it)
in fact i would just deduct for the clutch anyway its probably gonna go soon anyway.
i respectfully think its worth 39500-41k max.
not to take way but i think you'll want to do the nav screen upgrade and the angel eyes upgrade. those 2 will cost over 2k
take the money you save and ask the dealer how much it would cost to cpo the car., should be 1200-2500 if you find a dealer that would do it.

im sure its nice , just be cautious cause your buying a car that has a really expensive service life.

ray

·
Registered
328 Posts
Price does sound high, I was asking 46k, and I have done
a TON of good stuff. It didnt sell, and I am glad.
Good luck.

2000 Silver/Silverstone
Dinan Stage 1 flywheel
Dinan Carbon Fibe CAI
Dinan 3:45 Dif
Tubi exhaust
Autosolutions short shift
Xpel
01 Angel eyes
Nav TV
16:9 screen
HRE 3 peice 542's black centers
Yokohama db's
and sometime soon headers of some sort

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Given the upgrades between 2000 and 2001, I'd opt for the latter. Too many issues with the early version. (search here for keywords '2000 vs 2001', etc)

Plus a 2001 has a higher chance that more failures could be addressed by exisiting warranty.

Ard

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think 30K range is better fair price esp. since you are friends. You can prob easily find an 01 for that price now and they would be a stranger. Car market is very very soft and slow at least here in So Cal. If you look around and spend time you can prob get a nicely modded, low miles, and cheaper or same price.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your incredible insight, how valuable, I spoke to him friday evening and he should call me today or sunday for me to see the car in person and check it out.
Do you recommend I get the car checked out at an original bmw dealer? Or a very good private garage I know?
I will for sure do all of the above mentioned tests and also ask my friend more questions.

Thanks again for all of your help

·
Registered
400 Posts
There are some great independent service shops no doubt, but for your first complete checkout take it to a BMW dealer and pay for them to be very diligent.

That used car check costs about 125 or so, but it is not going to get you a compression check. Pay extra for that. Also, make sure they tell you what sort of life they think is left in the battery. I had a check done when I bought mine and neglected yo ask them for this and 3 weeks later the battery went dead as a doornail. haha, I dont recommend these things out of thin air !!!!

If I were you , I would do as I did. When I got the car, I had ALL the fluids changed, complete alignment performed, tires rotated at the same time as alignment,new brake pads even though the old ones looked new, and some other things so I had a good starting point for my ownership. All totalled I spent another 2K to get everything to where I wanted it, and that included a new M Mobility Kit, mine was expired, and a complete tool kit and complete manual set.

Oh thats a good point, make sure the M Mobility Kit is not expired, if it is get it replaced. Thats one people usually miss.

·
Registered
351 Posts
From a current '00 owner, I highly recommend trying to find an '01 or newer. First the price seems a little high as there a quite a few M5's for sale, but second and most important, it drives me crazy that I don't have those Angel Eyes or DDE's that came on all '01 and newer cars. I will probably end up getting an upgrade from Umnitza if I can ever figure out their website!
TripleD

·
10,445 Posts
Pete said:
When I got the car, I had ALL the fluids changed, complete alignment performed, tires rotated at the same time as alignment,new brake pads even though the old ones looked new, and some other things so I had a good starting point for my ownership..

How did they rotate staggered directional (assuming michellin) tires? dismount and swap sides?

00 vs 01 is really personal/cosmetic. I personally could care less about the angle eyes (and think the older lights look 'tougher'), i did upgrade my nav screen and nav drive (although now i can't see the screen with polarized sunglasses, where i could with the old screen). Mechanically, no major differences. I do think fresh fluids, or an inspection 2 with trans, diff, brake and coolant changes is a nice way to start with a new/used car. I'm carying around a m mobility system that has expired long ago, but you can buy these kits aftermarket /goop/fix a flat anywhere cheaply. I have a spare tire and jack i pack if i'm doing any real driving. The rest of the stuff i already answered on your post on roadfly.
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
My tires are Yokohama AVS ES100 type, they are directional. Yup, they dismounted them and swapped sides. Kinda involved I know, but thats the way it goes. Might make a good argument for getting the wider front tires to match the rears. On the other hand, swapping left to right vs front to back at least sounds good from a wear across the tire standpoint. I'm not knowledgable enough to make the call here.

Upgraded Hella angel eyes came with my car. A nice touch but the original 2000 lights look just fine to me also, I agree with the "tougher" analogy. I haven't seen them in person, but those interior xenon lightbulb kits look interesting.

Basically, when you carry a spare its the front size you carry then? Or do you have the same size tires around already?

·
10,445 Posts
Pete said:
Basically, when you carry a spare its the front size you carry then? Or do you have the same size tires around already?
Pete, i was running the same size (275's on rear wheels), but i recently went to dinan wheels, so i'm staggered again. Really, it doesn't matter. I bought a refinished front wheel from my dealer cheap (it doesn't match the 'shadow chrome' finish well, but for $125...) and a cheap 245/45 tire. The slightly smaller front wheel/tire takes up a bit less space in the trunk.
Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: I went to see the car but do not have the service history yet, but I now have some more info fo ryou all to help me out.

The car does not have a new clutch but it grabbs fine. Warrenty expired in February. It still has the original brakes.
The car is excelent condition inside, on the oustside it has a few small rock chips and a dent on the rear fender which is semi-noticealbe. I would need to repaint the rear bumper also.

as far as price I got him down to 42k.

What are your thoughts now on price and value for this car?

·
Registered
439 Posts
pass on it. you can search the pre owned bmw site and get one cpo'd for the same price.

good luck.
ray

DIPLOMAT said:
Update: I went to see the car but do not have the service history yet, but I now have some more info fo ryou all to help me out.

The car does not have a new clutch but it grabbs fine. Warrenty expired in February. It still has the original brakes.
The car is excelent condition inside, on the oustside it has a few small rock chips and a dent on the rear fender which is semi-noticealbe. I would need to repaint the rear bumper also.

as far as price I got him down to 42k.

What are your thoughts now on price and value for this car?

·
Registered
37 Posts
That price is definitely high ... For that price you can easily get an '01 and I've seen a few '02s on ebay for that price.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Or you could just by mine with lots of extra toys!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi :byee55amg

I have an 00' M5.

things to do before you buy:

1. Have it proffesionally Inspected..its worth every penny unless you know alot about the car.

2. Check for the following:
Oil usage - if they wont let you drive it for any distance - you need to cover approx 1000 miles (hopefuly to see any signs) but hard driving may show early evidence.

VANOS rattle - common on all early and argueably (although better) later models but if not excessive has no effect on performance or engine wear - or so BMW say ?????? Again an experienced inspection will be able to give you some advice.

THe service history - make sure the service's are in order. Running In, oil change, inspection1, oil change, Inspection2 etc... You'll probably be coming upto an Inspection1 depending on how the car has been driven. CHECK ;)
Also make sure for this age it has had the correct oil.

Clutch - hard driving and quick changes into to third can show early indicators but by no means that the clutch is iminant to fail...they tend to do this very early on unless driven by a saint :haha:

Display Pixel - almost certain to lose some.

Warranty - normal warranty I believe is 3 years unless it has been extended (needs to renewed straight away) through a dealership...unless you are buying from a dealer who will generally give you a years warranty...the warranty is great and gives peace of mind - well worth the money :thumbsup:

Most other things tend to be good if the car is driving good... test drive a few to get a feel. You can then get an appreaciation of a non performer.

If all checks out...enjoy.

You just have to love it....they don't call them beast's for nothing. I've concluded that the beast has to be fed.:M5launch:

Hope this makes sense cherrsagai

Cheers JB

DIPLOMAT said:
Hello,
I am ready to purchase a 00 M5 but wanted a few info from you before I pulled the trigger.
The car is a 2000 M5 silver with all black interior.
Is this a good color combo you think?
Car has 27k Miles.
does that mean it still has factory warranty?

What do I need to be concerned about as far as buying this car?
It has new tires. Is a one owner and I know he has takenexcelent care of teh car as he used to be my boss :), and well he is also a friend. Ohh it also has never been in a crash

The car has some scuffs on the rear bumper, a few scratches on the rims, but nothing major. I did notice it still had the black dials on the dash and not the new gray one.
I will of course get it inspected but wanted to have some feedback.
Do I need to be concerned about the clutch ? Brakes ? Recalls ? Known problems ? What ???

also the price is 45K in the DC area, is that a fair price, high, low...

thank you for your help

·
Registered
400 Posts
Car is local, miles are low, history and condition are all fine. Just pull the trigger and buy it.

Price is reasonable. I have yet to see the 2000 M5 with that low mileage, and in great condition go for less than 40K, and I doubt anyone else has either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts