BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the M5 first time in a week and 10 minutes into the drive the car began to jerk anytime I started to accelerate. Also noticed a rough idle during a cold start few minutes ago. There is no check engine light and Carly scan came back with no fault codes. Jerkiness doesn’t depend on the speed.

Any ideas? Car has 55k miles, so spark plugs are dead? Bad coil pack? Throttle actuators? Car had 1/4 tank of gas...can’t imagine gas going bad.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Oh and if it is a coil pack, go with BMW units or do people use something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had this issue last year. No CEL and it was indeed misfiring. CEL would come on if I red lined it. Coils and plugs were checked but they were not the culprit. It turned out that something had broken off the throttle actuator forcing #9 to not open. Was an easy fix for my mech.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this issue last year. No CEL and it was indeed misfiring. CEL would come on if I red lined it. Coils and plugs were checked but they were not the culprit. It turned out that something had broken off the throttle actuator forcing #9 to not open. Was an easy fix for my mech.

Do you recall if any parts had to be replaced and if any codes were present?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Ladies and gentleman, fault codes have arrived. Perhaps the module that delivers these fault codes is also malfunctioning...

Is it safe to assume that it’s my throttle valve actuator going out and needing to be replaced? I saw posts about 2B21 fault code being the bank 1 actuator, so 2B22 would mean it’s bank 2? How do I tell which one is bank 1 and bank 2?

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you recall if any parts had to be replaced and if any codes were present?

Thanks!

There were a couple of codes after I caused the CEL to come on by red lining the car but unfortunately, I cannot remember nor did I keep a record of them :frown My mechanic replaced a part on the throttle bodies if I remember correctly and it was very inexpensive - told me to buy him a drink :cheers: Sorry I can't be of more help

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to close the loop: all errors were caused by a faulty Throttle Actuator. I replaced both and took this as an opportunity to replace the spark plugs. M5 is alive again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just to close the loop: all errors were caused by a faulty Throttle Actuator. I replaced both and took this as an opportunity to replace the spark plugs. M5 is alive again!

Glad to see you sorted the issue out! Happy ///M'ing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! Makes me wonder if not driving the car for long time periods causes things to go break more often...moisture/condensation buildup, grease/oil hardening, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts