BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a had my 2000 m5 for about 2 years now. it has been a flawless performer on the track and the highways!! I have 44k on the engine.

Recently I noticed a harmonic engine vibration when I decelerate from 5000rpm down to 3000rpm. Nothing extreme but it has gotten worse recently. Is this common with anyone out there??

One other comment...my engine has a "tapping" sound at idle. it is more noticeable when standing on the drivers side. This sound has been consistent since I bought the car. I have asked my BMW service manager about it everytime I bring in the car. They keep saying its normal.

Anyone else have a similar tapping sounds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Do a search for 'vanos' and 'noise' (together)... just a guess

Not sure what the first issue might be...

·
Registered
489 Posts
My e36 had a ticking type noise, especially when the car was cold, it would usually go away once it warmed up. I had all the lifters replaced and the clicking went away. My M5 however, does not have a clicking sound at idle or any other time (2001 with about 23,000ish).

·
Registered
6 Posts
StockM5 said:
I have a had my 2000 m5 for about 2 years now. it has been a flawless performer on the track and the highways!! I have 44k on the engine.

Recently I noticed a harmonic engine vibration when I decelerate from 5000rpm down to 3000rpm. Nothing extreme but it has gotten worse recently. Is this common with anyone out there??

One other comment...my engine has a "tapping" sound at idle. it is more noticeable when standing on the drivers side. This sound has been consistent since I bought the car. I have asked my BMW service manager about it everytime I bring in the car. They keep saying its normal.

Anyone else have a similar tapping sounds?

Thanks.
i have a 2001 m5 mine also has a tapping noise on tick over-bmw told me it is normal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts