BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done either of these themselves? I'd like to know what is involved. I'm mechanically inclined, but the first time you do ANYTHING on a different model than the last time you did it - its good to know as much as you can up front.

1) My clutch is showing signs of failing SAc mechanism, again. Pedal grabbing close to floor, even though clutch is strong as ever - no slipping, smooth uptake. The extended warranty isn't going to cover this, I don't think, even if it is failed SAC.

I'm in cash-flow prison right now so I've got to save bucks any way I can. Has anyone dropped the tranny, (assuming this is the way, as opposed to pulling the engine,) and replaced all clutch components? How tough? special tools required?

Alternatively, has anyone used an independent shop in the S.F. Bay Area for a clutch replacement? How much?

2) I've had an intermittent problem where the air bag light lights when someone is in the right seat. The dealer says they have to replace the sensor mat AND the airbag computer, because (according to them) the mat is a newer design than what was in my '00 originally and so needs the new computer too. They're asking $785 for the job - that on top of the $140 diagnostic fee I already had to pay. First of all, the need to replace both COULD be real, but it could be a dealer CYA move too. Anyone know? Anyone know what is involved with these replacements?

P.S. - there is a steel cable connected to the rear of the seat underneath, that is on a spring-loaded retractor under the floor. What is it for? I'm guessing it is to tell the airbag computer how far up or back the seat is?

·
10,455 Posts
I happened by my dealership when they replaced my clutch (due to a leaking rear main seal ) and yes, it's a typical trans out job. If you take this on, i'd love to watch (could help too, i'm relatively handy). Any one in the bay area with a lift!? We could have a clutch clinic...
Mike

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
greg said:
...I've had an intermittent problem where the air bag light lights when someone is in the right seat. The dealer says they have to replace the sensor mat AND the airbag computer, because (according to them) the mat is a newer design than what was in my '00 originally and so needs the new computer too. They're asking $785 for the job - that on top of the $140 diagnostic fee I already had to pay...
greg-

FWIW, I just had a comparable quote from my dealer to replace the passenger seat SRS occupancy sensor on my '00. He also informed me that if the sensor is faulty, the default operation is that the airbag is ACTIVE. So you're not losing the utility of your passenger airbag in the current situation. What you are losing, is for the airbag to be deactivated when the passenger seat is unoccupied, or occupied by a small individual (i.e., child).

Since I NEVER place my kids in the front passenger seat, I opted to forego the replacement of said sensor, knowing full well that should I be involved in a front-end collision of any force, both airbags WILL deploy.

Thought you'd wanna know before investing your time and dollars. As always, YMMV.

-Dave
victim of chronic cashflowitis

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hey, I was thinking the same thing- I'd lend a hand in exchange for seeing how it is done... but I'm not close.

You'll need to keep us posted if you do tackle it- I'll be there someday.

A

·
Registered
444 Posts
Greg:

I have pulled the trans and changed the flywheel and clutch on my 2001 M5 twice. It can be done in the garage with the usual tools. The only special tools needed are an undercut T60 torx driver if you need (or wish) to change the flywheel, and a special pilot if you are reinstalling a new factory clutch. There are additional special tools if you need to reset the pressure plate and use it again, but it sounds like the pressure plate needs replacing. PM me and we can talk about the details.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will end up dropping the complete exhaust system along with the rear bumper cover to get everything out of the way. It's a days work for most of us.

Good Luck, John

·
Registered
444 Posts
jeeperjohn said:
I'm pretty sure you will end up dropping the complete exhaust system along with the rear bumper cover to get everything out of the way. It's a days work for most of us.

Good Luck, John
The exhaust system from the cats back needs to be dropped, but the bumper cover does not need to be removed.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
19 Posts
greg said:
2) I've had an intermittent problem where the air bag light lights when someone is in the right seat. The dealer says they have to replace the sensor mat AND the airbag computer, because (according to them) the mat is a newer design than what was in my '00 originally and so needs the new computer too. They're asking $785 for the job - that on top of the $140 diagnostic fee I already had to pay. First of all, the need to replace both COULD be real, but it could be a dealer CYA move too. Anyone know? Anyone know what is involved with these replacements?
I just checked my 9/2003 version of the ETK and it lists the same pass. seat sensor mat p/n for a 1999 and 2003 M5. So, unless some update happened after 10/04 the dealer is probably trying to milk you. Also, my opinion is that I doubt BMW would update a part after the E39 stopped production.

As for how to do this, I can't offer specific advice on the M5 but I did this procedure on my E36. The mat is located between the seat foam and the seat pan. It has a wire harness which connects to a connector underneath the seat. I did this with the seat out of the car in order to figure out how to disassemble the seat cushion from the pan. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The steel cable is for the auto height adjusting seat belt. As the seat moves forwards and backwards the seat belt moves up and down.

Good luck on the projects.

Jonathan

·
Registered
661 Posts
Greg,
If you decide to go with a shop. I had mine done with a stock parts by GMS in Sunnyvale (www.gms.cc). They did a great job and had a much better experience with them than any of the BMW dealership I've used before. I paid $1200 for parts and labor and they even installed the UUC SSK + DSSR I had while they had the transmission out for no additional charges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 S500 Mercedes. I've had an intermittent problem where the SRS light comes on and off sometimes. I took the car into the dealer and they said it is a defective passenger front occupied child recognition sensor. They're asking $1044 to repair this. Can this just be a faulty connection? and can this be done my one self. It looks like the seat might have to come out of the car to replace. I found the sensor online for $277. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The FIRST clutch job I ever did was on my e39 M5. I had access to a lift and a transmission jack. If you are handy and have access to those two things, you can do the work.

The answers to almost any question you could have are on this forum. Take you time. You'll learn a lot and feel a real sense of accomplishment when you first drive it after it's all done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts