BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know Ive been going on and on about how unreliable they can be with pistons flying through bonnest and killing innocent bird life but I have come accross a very nice example.

M reg, 6 speed with alacantra trim. Everything works, handles a bit better than my 3.6. Its got all the expensive tricks like EDC which I belive is standard.

Paint work is immaculate and its not very expensive.

I know how to buy a good 3.6 but what extra stuff should I be looking at when buying a 3.8?

How do you check the EDC is any good?

Car has around 145k on it with full bm history. Is this the dange mileage where everything starts breaking?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Cyrus:

To test the EDC:

Look for leaks at the dampers.
If it's got the Nurburgring kit, press the switch and feel the difference between P and S.
Note errors related to EDC on the check control.

How much is it? Perhaps you'd like to consider my Orinoco LE (similar mileage) too?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its much cheaper than your LE my freind.........

Thanks fro offering and thanks for the advice.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I know how to buy a good 3.6 but what extra stuff should I be looking at when buying a 3.8?

How do you check the EDC is any good?

Car has around 145k on it with full bm history. Is this the danger mileage where everything starts breaking?[/QUOTE]

Hi Cyrus.
Apparently, 3.8 M5 dont go wrong or wear out parts at any mileage & all you wil need to do is put Brake pads & the occasional exhaust on & you are sorted.....!

However I would avoid Avus Blue examples as they appear to buck the reliability trend & require the following over 90 to 160k....

5 EDC dampers
4 springs
Top mounts
Self leveliing accumilator & all the associated pipe work as all were rotten.
Steering rack.
Steering angle input sensor.
Front upper & lower arms
2 wheel bearings
Front & rear Roll bars & bushes ( All were very tired but could have been left)
Rear Sub frame bushes.
Engine mounts
Partial engine rebuild @ 120 k miles
including sump gaskets
frt timing cover gasket
Duplex chain & sproket wheels
Water pump
Virtually every rubber pipe including water & oil breather pipes
Various engine compartment harness fly leads on hot side of engine
to sensors for water temp guage & signal to ECU plus those to degas & washer bottles. (Embrittled due to exhaust upheat)
Rear harness to fuel pump & EDC repaired whre it exits rear fire wall nr sub frame.
Rear fly lead to trunk repaired where it sheared through & stretched under rear parcel shelf.
2 washer bottle pumps
1 cooling pack ( water Radiator )
1 condensor pack. (Air con radiator)
Wiper motor & linkage
Fan blower motor (its aas much of a bi*tch as R Woertman says it is unless you drop the engine down)
Drive shaft (prop) Jurid coupling
2 sets of exhaust hangers.

The parts below are just every day exposed to other road users & general paint maintenance

2 front end repaints inclding colour fade into front doors but done properly with all bumpers & trims stripped & panels sanded back.

Rear bumper repainted.

Numerous pieces of trim around the exterior of the car including bumper rub strips & lower window trims that deform when you try to refit after paint.

A couple of headlamps lens both dip & main (stone damage)
3 fog lamp lens. (stone damage)

Apart from that, its been fine........Just avoid Avus Blue examples.

Take care
Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Farrell,

as we have discussed, black ones are also expensive.

Generally, anyone that is planning to run one of these day 2 day had better prepare themselves for some very expensive open wallet surgery!

If it hasn't gone wrong yet, doesn't mean that it won't!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vert entertaining reading!

So its just the Avus blue ones eh.....:hihi:

The "possible 3.8 purchase" has firmly been punched in the face and thrown out of the window.

3.6 is here to stay and I can firmly say i'm enjoying it very very much.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
Farrell,

as we have discussed, black ones are also expensive.

Generally, anyone that is planning to run one of these day 2 day had better prepare themselves for some very expensive open wallet surgery!

If it hasn't gone wrong yet, doesn't mean that it won't!!

Steve
I second this just went to replace two rear tyres ended up replacing all four thanks to screws causing a slow but unrepairable punchure. So now I have a new set of tyres on the car. - £600+ pounds ...l...ouich oh and then the garage seems to have lost my locking wheel nut keys....ahhhhhhhhhh! (insert your favorite cusrsing words here!:mad: grrrrrrr

So now I have the choice, if they cannot find the keys they will have to drill the bolts out and replace the locking bolts but the whole point is that they make this difficult. So if they damage the wheels then I will have to claim for a new set and all the associateed problems that this will cause....

OK rant over. My Avis Blue Touring guess Farrell has cursed them all...........

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:
Vert entertaining reading!

So its just the Avus blue ones eh.....:hihi:

The "possible 3.8 purchase" has firmly been punched in the face and thrown out of the window.

3.6 is here to stay and I can firmly say i'm enjoying it very very much.
Sorry Cyrus...
That was not the intention.
I guess I wanted to highlight the stark reality of what can, & indeed has gone wrong with my M5.
I believe I have been more considerate to this car than any that I have owned before.

Its nearly 5 yrs now since I took ownership so I am the longest serving keeper by some margin.
It has had its highs like Spa & Nurburgring. The way this car can cut a swathe across a continent is all the more impressive considering its age but..

The last 8 months of ownership have been very unpleasant.
It may well be that the number failures I have encountered are untypical.
If so, then at least I serve as an example of how bad it can get even with meticulous care of the E34 M5.

I wanted to buy a 95 LE.. I really liked Terrys car after seeing it at the meet in Hertford.
I mentioned it to my better half.... There was a pause.... then she kicked me
& said " We're not doing this again"

Here endeth the lesson.

Farrell

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
farrell said:
Sorry Cyrus...
That was not the intention.
I guess I wanted to highlight the stark reality of what can, & indeed has gone wrong with my M5.
I believe I have been more considerate to this car than any that I have owned before.

Its nearly 5 yrs now since I took ownership so I am the longest serving keeper by some margin.
It has had its highs like Spa & Nurburgring. The way this car can cut a swathe across a continent is all the more impressive considering its age but..

The last 8 months of ownership have been very unpleasant.
It may well be that the number failures I have encountered are untypical.
If so, then at least I serve as an example of how bad it can get even with meticulous care of the E34 M5.

I wanted to buy a 95 LE.. I really liked Terrys car after seeing it at the meet in Hertford.
I mentioned it to my better half.... There was a pause.... then she kicked me
& said " We're not doing this again"

Here endeth the lesson.

Farrell
I'm not far behind in ownership years - I got mine in July 2000 and have spent quite a bit on it...

see the car history here http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=130

However I've spent not much more than my previous car because I spent £12,000 in 3 years on mods, servicing, tyres, insurance, etc. At least with the M5 I didn't need to spend £4k on expensive engine upgrades, or £2k on AP brakes...

...yet :haha:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Hi Mmm-Five
Ive checked out your pistonheads link.
Its quite a relief to see a very similar car in age, mileage
(and that reliabilty problem colour Avus Blue..!) on its way to being as naughty as mine.
Its the reality check I had hoped someone else would offer.
Thankyou
I would only add that between 150 & 160 k miles, I spent £6k on mine.

Happy Days...
Farrell

·
Registered
970 Posts
They shouldn't have to drill out the bolts. There are a number of options (been there done that!):

If the bolts are original BMW? You just need to pop down to your local dealer who will get all the 'keys' and try them one by one to see which one fits. They are all numbered.

Failing that there are a number of reverse thread sockets designed for just this sort of 'event'. 'Sealey' or 'laser' make some at around £15 available from Cafco or Halfords.

My mechanic just jammed a spline/torx socket into the bolt and removed them that way.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Simonal said:
I second this just went to replace two rear tyres ended up replacing all four thanks to screws causing a slow but unrepairable punchure. So now I have a new set of tyres on the car. - £600+ pounds ...l...ouich oh and then the garage seems to have lost my locking wheel nut keys....ahhhhhhhhhh! (insert your favorite cusrsing words here!:mad: grrrrrrr

So now I have the choice, if they cannot find the keys they will have to drill the bolts out and replace the locking bolts but the whole point is that they make this difficult. So if they damage the wheels then I will have to claim for a new set and all the associateed problems that this will cause....

OK rant over. My Avis Blue Touring guess Farrell has cursed them all...........

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
yewcorner said:
They shouldn't have to drill out the bolts. There are a number of options (been there done that!):

If the bolts are original BMW? You just need to pop down to your local dealer who will get all the 'keys' and try them one by one to see which one fits. They are all numbered.

Failing that there are a number of reverse thread sockets designed for just this sort of 'event'. 'Sealey' or 'laser' make some at around £15 available from Cafco or Halfords.

My mechanic just jammed a spline/torx socket into the bolt and removed them that way.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Thanks did not mean to hijack the thread but was ranting....Took it back to the guys who lost the locking nut keys and they got off the one bolt per wheel which was an old set of BMW locking nuts. I have ordered a new locking nut key as I had one spare from the new set I purchased recently. So now I have a non BMW locking wheel set and a BMW set on the car.

So all is well....finally

1 - 14 of 14 Posts