BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this "M5" in East Petaluma last weekend next to Radio Shack...

Anybody here :nono:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Jimmy has some great ones on his nightmare page. Such saddos ??????

·
Registered
283 Posts
That first pic was too funny! I see BMWs with model designations placed incorrectly every now and then, most probably from rear-end damage that wasn't repaired by a dealer.

This was like that, except it was some poseur who didn't even take the time to make the imitation look sincere. LOL!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
That first pic was too funny! I see BMWs with model designations placed incorrectly every now and then, most probably from rear-end damage that wasn't repaired by a dealer.

This was like that, except it was some poseur who didn't even take the time to make the imitation look sincere. LOL!

If you look closely at the first pic. the "M5" emblem wasn't even positioned properly. :hihi:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Am I the only one that wants to go reverse.

I'm thinking of turning my baby into a sleeper, 518i badge, same profile wheels - but not so in-your-face design.

Then again...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
No, you're not the only one...
Another boardmember, FAST4DR, also had his re-badged with a 52Otd moniker.

I like the low-key-with-a-smirk approach!

Interesting to note that our poseur used ///M badging from the last generation (E28 and E34) vehicles; that's not even an E39 ///M5 badge!

-Dave

·
Registered
511 Posts
Teutonaddict said:

Interesting to note that our poseur used ///M badging from the last generation (E28 and E34) vehicles; that's not even an E39 ///M5 badge!

-Dave
Well dude, its gotta be the real thing, I mean it was selling on ebay right??!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Teutonaddict said:

-Dave
How would an environmentally-sensitive 520td owner react to such a rebadging effort on a gasoline 5L V8? I wonder if badge positioning and correctness would be reviewed. ??????

·
Registered
962 Posts
>Ashok > I like it.

I'll look forward to seeing the full article on the 31st meet.

I've done nothing yet, but ideas are growing.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
stumbo said:
>Ashok > I like it.
Ashok & Stumbo, it's perfect! In fact, a week after I bought my gas hog, diesel rebadging came to mind. I started worrying some Green Peace Activist would key my car. Wonder if I can get an emissions test exemption (lol)?

With all the poser threads, I find it really interesting that M5 owners condone M5 rebadging.

IMO, rebadging & replication is like a costume party...all fun.

Freedom = your car, your business

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Thats a pretty good one. At least attempt to make it look like more than a 525.
Dont know why, but I see going down the scale with the badges as acceptable, but faking it is a big faux pas in my book. Call it generations of "SS" badges on anything Chevy, fake "Type R" stickers on 1986 Civics or M5 badges on 525 automatics. Proclaiming you have the top model annoys me, but making your beast into a sleeper is a fun prospect. Heck, put 525 on your M5, go find that M5 badged 525, beat the guy and tell him you were suprised that your 525 easily beat his M5. :confused3
:cheers:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Taking the designations off is the only way to go IMO.

I'm of the opinion that, the more you need to 'shout' about your car, the more (normally!) you're making up for in some way :hihihi:

My M5 (bought new but off a forecourt not made to my specs) fortunately didn't have a designation - the only way you know it's not just any old 5 series with the body mods, wheels and M5 sills is when you're in, or behind it.

I've specced the same on my new M5....in my head. I'm still convincing the accountant (also my wife to be, doh) that it's worth getting despite a lack of test drive, manual clutch and oil dipstick (anyone else heard this? The new M5 not having a dipstick to check oil level? Given the amount my e39 drinks oil, I'm a little concerned!)....

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
There's a way of removing the emblems with dental floss - do a search.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
No, you're not the only one - look at mine:

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=yyl11f&outx=360&oq=0

:hihihi:
Hey Ashok,

That makes me laugh, evertime I see it. hiha

How do you explain that the smoke is Blue, and not black. hiha

I have thought of de-baging dosens of times. But most of the dumbasses around here, don't know what an M5 is anyway.

They stand at the trunk and look right at the badge and say, "Is that one of those M3's?"

Its like, WTF, your staring right at the MF Badge dipstick. It has happened with such frequency, that I now say, "Read it again!" and walk off.

Top six responses before I gave up.

1. M3's are fast.
2. Whats an M5.
3. Is it a 6?
4. I didn't know BMW made 8's (WTF 10's & 12's)
5. Are those wheels standard?
6. If its an 8, it shouldbe called M8 :confused:

I Should get a different badge.

Suggestions,

M FIVE (Read it, its not an M3)

How about a,

Not an M3. hiha It solves both problems.

How confusing will it be for these dipsticks when the M4 is out. (V8 M3)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Nice one Mark! :thumbsup:

Stumbo.. did you know that the early E39 M5's had rectangular interior mirrors?!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts