BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fart said:
Im interested to hear what you guys think about the small Cayenne. Is it worth the while, if I get it for a decent price.
I have only driven the V-6 as a loaner. Comfortable inside, but not very good or power at all. I would look for a certified Cayenne S before I would buy a new V-6. A Cayenne S with 18 inch wheels and snow tires would allow you to get around pretty well. You could then buy 19 inch wheels with performance tires for the summer.

Regards
pranqster

00 M5 Imola red
04 GT3 Silver

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
while this is certainly an OT post...

The both the Cay. and the Toureg are both heavy as iron and I believe that the Cay is heavier than the toureg by some weight.

You would be better off buying the Toureg and getting the V8, as it would probably run you the same price as the porsche with the v6...with the porsche you would only be paying for the name.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
with the porsche you would only be paying for the name.
Originally, I was interested in the Touareg, but I was able to negotiate $7800 off a fairly loaded 2004 Cayenne S. It was still a bit more than the Touareg, but the difference was small enough to make it worthwhile.

Despite popular belief, there are differences between the two vehicles, if you do the basic research.

Whether or not these differences are important enough to pay a premium for, is something you'll have to decide. In my opinion, some of these differences correlate to a better on road performance vehicle in the Porsche.

With a spare set of Pirelli Scorpion A/T's, the Cayenne is also quite capable offroad, and I have taken it often.

However, given the choice between a V8 Touareg and a V6 Cayenne (auto) I would likely opt for the Touareg. Between a V8 Cayenne and a V8 Touareg, I would buy the Cayenne, as I did. At the time I bought, discounting was not significant at the time for the Touareg.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We tested the base Cayenne at a whopping 10.4 second 0-60 time, which is absolutely embarrassing, especially considering the Porsche badge. But this wasn't a surprise, as the 3.2L engine only makes 247hp.

Then again, the base Cayenne starts at $41,400 while the Turbo rings in at $89,300 - before the laundry list of options - quite the spread for a model with only three trims.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I would avoid the base Cayenne. My dad has a Cayenne S and that's a wonderful SUV (was about to place a deposit on an X5 4.4, then saw this in the next door dealership's showroom). But with Porsche, you get absolutely nothing with the car and you have to pay top dollar for simple additions ($400 bucks to have factory colored emblems on the wheels instead of just black and white).. that's what makes me lose respect for them.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
thats what makes me loose respect for any company that does that...

Ferrari is charging 2500 bucks for adding the Prancing Horse emblem to the front quarter pannel of the new F430. 2500 bucks for 2 painted things that are no bigger than 5x7

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:

Ferrari is charging 2500 bucks for adding the Prancing Horse emblem to the front quarter pannel of the new F430. 2500 bucks for 2 painted things that are no bigger than 5x7
Aaaah.. the Scuderia shields. What's crazy is that you lose that much in resale if you don't order them on your Ferrari! For some reason that's one of the first thing that people look for when they're buying pre-owned.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Anzir said:
Aaaah.. the Scuderia shields. What's crazy is that you lose that much in resale if you don't order them on your Ferrari! For some reason that's one of the first thing that people look for when they're buying pre-owned.
Porsche and Ferrari have definetly dropped a notch and lost respect, charging for those type options:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I read somewhere that the Toureag has reliability problems- of course there are those here that say the X5 has reliability problems and ours has been nearly perfect.

I have driven the Cayenne S for 30 minutes and I was not at all impressed. It felt floaty and disconnected on the highway and it did not have the kind of hard kick down when you nail the throttle at 60mph I would like. The steering felt too light. The brakes were fantastic though and the interior is pleasing. Overall, the driving experience reminded me of driving a high up S-Class Mercedes- more disconnected and insulated than I would prefer. By contrast, the X5 feels much more tied down with more kick out of the engine+tranny combination and, frankly, just feels sportier. And ours is a base X5 4.4 without the sports package. JMHO. A good friend traded his X5 for the hot pepper and he swears by it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
MEnthusiast, its an SUV, ok? Not a sports car =)

I own cayenne s.
Imho, during winter (i live in moscow) its THE best car you can get.
You can just forget about snow and huge snow piles =)
Very comfortable, more then enough power for winter, relible, nice stereo etc...
The only thing which is annoying is that everyone drives SO slowly! =D

For the summer i mainly use it if i need 4 seats, or for shopping...
Otherwise i drive my lotus, which i LOVE =))

So, if you have lots of snow, or mud, or offroading (btw, Cayenne is a VERY capable offroader, nowhere near like all others, except from VW, which is quite good as well, apparently) get it =)

If you will drive it in normal conditions... Hmm... I really dont see any reason buying any SUV.

Touraeg or Cayenne? Well, have you seen the interior of Touraeg? Its disgusting =D

Id say, if u need comfortable, pleasant, nice car, go Cayenne. if you need a little bit more speed (during winter remember!) go VW =(
Id go Porsche =D

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:

Most people think that the Scuderia shields are simply painted on the quarter panels, that is true for the Formula 1 car but for the production cars, the Scuderia Ferrari shields are actually made of ceramic and then enamelled into the quarter panel that has been recessed to receive the shield.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I wanted to elaborate on my 2004 Cayenne S deal. It was a General Manager's demo vehicle, never titled, with about 2,500 miles, and in mint condition, it had everything I wanted, so I paid $60,000 instead of $67,800 MSRP for a brand new one. It has navigation, but does not have the air suspension. I still take it offroad with the regular suspension. And I did get the colored wheel crests...

This was acquired in Feb 2004. The market may be softer now, but I haven't shopped lately.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fart said:
Im thinking of buying a 6month old Cayenne with less than 10k miles on it. Some essential options installed (bi-xenon, moonroof, 18" wheels).

Its a fiew bucks cheaper than the MSRP for a new one.

How much discount will a porsche dealer give you buying a new loaded Cayenne? 5%?
The Cay V6 is the same exact motor in the VW. It really lags and is just a ploy for Porsche to hit their numbers and get back in the green. I had a Cayenne S, I recommend you test drive both back to back you will see the huge difference. You should get $5000 off easily. Maybe more if you buy off the lot and are not concerned with ordering one. Dealers want to sell what they have in stock, not have to order more.

For the most part all the CAY-S come with bi xenons, 18" wheels, and moonroof at least when i was shopping in late 03 for mine. I have the roof transport system for sale (never used) if interested PM me.

If buying I would seriously get one that is a year old or maybe a lease return, you can save thousands as the resale value is pretty awful esp being a Porsche. I have seen slightly used Turbos for high $60K range which is cost for a medium optioned brand new Cay-S. I believe a fully optioned Cay-S with PASM and all the goodies will run you around $70K range.

I would not pay more than $50K for a preowned Cay-S unless it is fully loaded and with 19 or 20 wheels.

Keep in mind there have been massive recalls on these and warranty is 4 year / 50K whichever comes first. If you plan to keep for a long while, I highly recommend an extended warranty or buy a really good outside warranty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I drove one for a weekend. Great car. I think the power is enough for most, but the tiptronicwas a bit strange starting on 2nd gear often if I remember correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
while this is certainly an OT post...

The both the Cay. and the Toureg are both heavy as iron and I believe that the Cay is heavier than the toureg by some weight.

You would be better off buying the Toureg and getting the V8, as it would probably run you the same price as the porsche with the v6...with the porsche you would only be paying for the name.
Toureg is cheap Cayenne for "poor" people!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts