BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had nothing but shear frustration and disappointment with regard to the unprofessional way my BMW dealer (BMW Holland Park – London, part of the HR Owen group) has treated me during the purchasing of my new M5. I, like many others have enthused over this car long before it was decided to put it into production. I placed my faith in the car and BMW by ordering and paying a deposit approximately 3 years ago, the earliest my dealer would accept orders, even although I had shown an interest long before this. When I was eventually able to place my order I was assured that I was their first customer. I am pleased to say this is apparently still the case, but with many heated exchanges to ensure that this remained so. During this process my faith in the ordering system and dealership has inevitably suffered. My dealership (unlike many others) has apparently decided to use their first and only car to-date as a demonstrator, it means they will not provide my car until August (2005), this I can live with assuming it is true. However I have a great difficulty understanding, that despite numerous calls to the dealership to arrange a test drive and various hollow promises, I still haven’t managed to achieve this, whilst others obviously have. It strikes me as inexcusable that the customer who has shown commitment to this car with this dealer for such a period hasn’t even had the courtesy of a test drive as yet. I appreciate that many of you may be thinking that I am lucky as I’ve only a further few months to wait, however the whole purchasing process of any car should be a pleasant experience especially one like the M5, sadly this whole charade has left me questioning my allegiance to BMW.



I’ll sign off now and attempt yet again to arrange a test drive. :( :( :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Dont worry I am in the same position and not only wasnt the demo car available for veiwing on 19th May they have also stated that they will need to run it in and have the 1200 mile service before any test drives take place. I can understand this as they have already sold the car at list to somebody after the 3 months as use as a demonstrator so want to follow the procedures.

I am waiting for the call for a test drive so dont think your situation is unique just the incompetance of BMW UK in the way they have handled this whole affair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I am number one at my dealer and expecting my car week 27. My dealer is running a demo car and has taken the same route as John mentions i.e. no test drives until the car has done at least 500 miles. So I am still waiting for a test drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
JohnH there is what to worry about, because that kind of a problems persist all over the world. Probably from 100 customers 80 would suggest that BMW offers one of the worst services involving dealers in many ways. I myself know couple people that bought Merc instead of BMW because of unacceptable behavior of the dealers and not paying any respect to their customers. I strongly suggest BMW should listen to customer point of view, otherwise even very loyal customer simply will leave :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JohnH said:
Dont worry I am in the same position and not only wasnt the demo car available for veiwing on 19th May they have also stated that they will need to run it in and have the 1200 mile service before any test drives take place. I can understand this as they have already sold the car at list to somebody after the 3 months as use as a demonstrator so want to follow the procedures.

I am waiting for the call for a test drive so dont think your situation is unique just the incompetance of BMW UK in the way they have handled this whole affair.
John, I would concur with your comments had the demo car been held back until run in, but I have been reliably informed that they started test driving last weekend. :eek: :confused3 :confused3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
JohnH said:
Dont worry I am in the same position and not only wasnt the demo car available for veiwing on 19th May they have also stated that they will need to run it in and have the 1200 mile service before any test drives take place. I can understand this as they have already sold the car at list to somebody after the 3 months as use as a demonstrator so want to follow the procedures.

I am waiting for the call for a test drive so dont think your situation is unique just the incompetance of BMW UK in the way they have handled this whole affair.
Could not agree more - whole system is fundamentally flawed. Mine is still the first and is similarly arriving beginning of August. My gripe is with BMW AG and BMW GB, not with my dealer. At least - unlike some - I have been offered a test drive already - have actually declined and will wait until fully run in anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
virage1 said:
Could not agree more - whole system is fundamentally flawed. Mine is still the first and is similarly arriving beginning of August. My gripe is with BMW AG and BMW GB, not with my dealer. At least - unlike some - I have been offered a test drive already - have actually declined and will wait until fully run in anyway
I got the first car but I had two other problems: they weren t prepared to do by 2000km revision so I had to wait for one week with car parked, they invited me for a driving test with an M5 and M6 in Munchen and they canceled the invitation without notifying me (luckly I checked with them 2 days before the flight)

Lucian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Jaeger said:
I don't understand. What do they say when you call and say "I'd like to schedule a test drive"?
Jaeger,
If you are refering to my experience they aproached me telling that if I m interested I can go to drive M5 and M6 in Munchen and that I have the possibility to ask some questions about the handeling etc. ( I was already gave them the money for the M5). I agreed and gave them the usual details passport information etc. When I called them back to check the flight details two days before the departure they said they were sorry but I already bought an M5 so I can wait another week for my own to drive it and that they forgot to inform me about the change.

Lucian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jaeger said:
I don't understand. What do they say when you call and say "I'd like to schedule a test drive"?
Jaeger, they simply reply we'll get back to you or make some other excuse such as your salesperson is busy at the moment. Extremely unprofessional, but what other options do I have, and they know it. :crying:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
bmwnewm5 said:
Jaeger, they simply reply we'll get back to you or make some other excuse such as your salesperson is busy at the moment. Extremely unprofessional, but what other options do I have, and they know it. :crying:
My suggestion would be to make the trip into the dealership, make sure the M5 is there and then ask them if you can have a test drive, and if not, why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zenith said:
My suggestion would be to make the trip into the dealership, make sure the M5 is there and then ask them if you can have a test drive, and if not, why not?
Zenith, good suggestion, however I have just sent an email to the dealership highlighting my frustrations, I will await to see what reply they give.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
bmwnewm5 said:
Jaeger, they simply reply we'll get back to you or make some other excuse such as your salesperson is busy at the moment. Extremely unprofessional, but what other options do I have, and they know it. :crying:
That's unbelievable. I have always found HR Owen as a group to be very professional (I have bought Maserati and TVR through them over the last couple of years). It is obviously an issue with the BMW section - in this case I would definitely contact the MD of HR Owen direct, i.e. go above individual dealership level. Even if you get a response to your email, I would still do the above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
I have to say, the corporate sales guys at Sytner City are great - other folks at Sytner, however, are more patchy, and the servicing side are utterly diabolical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Test drives?? That there is even a possibility of a test drive is unheardof here. Chances are the first M5 I see will be mine... and I am not counting on a test drive. This leads me back to my whole SMG concern...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
virage1 said:
That's unbelievable. I have always found HR Owen as a group to be very professional (I have bought Maserati and TVR through them over the last couple of years). It is obviously an issue with the BMW section - in this case I would definitely contact the MD of HR Owen direct, i.e. go above individual dealership level. Even if you get a response to your email, I would still do the above.
Things seem to be improving, they have now contacted me and I have arranged to for my promised test drive. I wonder if someone within BMW monitors this site, and feeds information back to dealers to get things resolved. Thanks for your comments. grrrrrrr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
JohnH said:
I am waiting for the call for a test drive so dont think your situation is unique just the incompetance of BMW UK in the way they have handled this whole affair.
Why do you say this John ?

BMW UK have allowed dealers to sell their demo's without running them as demo's if they so please, which strikes me as the sensible way of doing things, as demoing a car you cannot buy for 2 years is totally pointless.

I would say it was your dealer that is handling the affair incorrectly and BMW UK have (for once) handled it correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Matt

I am of the same opinion as you..............I think. I benefited from the situation as I now have my M5 on the drive as my dealer decided not to demo it and the first two customers on the list waited for their specific orders (I was third having put down my deposit 2 ½ years ago). It does seem unfair that other people who have been on the list even longer are still waiting for their car. Perhaps the Audi national wating list would be a better way forward. My dealer even prepared the car early and I actually took delivery on 17th May. This clearly upset a few people on the board as my dealer is aware that complaints have been made to BMW GBhmmm . I think something needs to be done to regulate the system and make it fairer.

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
MattUK said:
Why do you say this John ?

BMW UK have allowed dealers to sell their demo's without running them as demo's if they so please, which strikes me as the sensible way of doing things, as demoing a car you cannot buy for 2 years is totally pointless.

I would say it was your dealer that is handling the affair incorrectly and BMW UK have (for once) handled it correctly.
Why did BMW initially insist that all dealers first M5s would have to be demos? Is that the dealers fault? By firstly insisting they had to have a demo and then only changing their minds after they had gone to final specification was a joke. I had my name down on the waiting list for 4 years and am now having to wait until Aug/Sep to get my car due to the cock-up between BMW UK and the dealer. Even if the dealer had changed their mind and offered me their demo I dont want to be forced to take a SG M5 with all the options including Full leather for £71K that I had no input to!!

In my mind the whole idea of having demos in the first place was ridiculous with the 2 year waiting list and I certainly didnt put my name down 4 years prior to availability so I could be forced in a car that I could not spec!!

Rant over!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JohnH said:
Why did BMW initially insist that all dealers first M5s would have to be demos? Is that the dealers fault? By firstly insisting they had to have a demo and then only changing their minds after they had gone to final specification was a joke. I had my name down on the waiting list for 4 years and am now having to wait until Aug/Sep to get my car due to the cock-up between BMW UK and the dealer. Even if the dealer had changed their mind and offered me their demo I dont want to be forced to take a SG M5 with all the options including Full leather for £71K that I had no input to!!

In my mind the whole idea of having demos in the first place was ridiculous with the 2 year waiting list and I certainly didnt put my name down 4 years prior to availability so I could be forced in a car that I could not spec!!

Rant over!!
Quite agree John, the whole thing is a farce
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top