BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have MY00 M5 and I've never been happy with the quality of my FM radio reception. The difference between CD sound and FM sound is dramatic. I expect some relative lack of quality for the obvious reasons, but I also hear some static on occasion and just feel overall that it sounds like, well, an FM radio with poor reception.

Anybody else experience this? Is there a means of improving FM radio reception? I assume that the FM radio antenna is in the rear window glass, since I don't see an external antenna anywhere else on the car. Loose connection perhaps?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I believe youre correct that the antenna is in the rear window... my guess would be that you have tinted windows (metallic). AM reception is really bad with metallic tints, and FM usually gets worse too.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I seem to recall a TSB for radio reception that involved replacing antenna amps.

Even if your car is outside the paramters of the TSB, maybe there is something up with the amp?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I noticed mine gets MUCH worse when the rear defroster is on. The rest of the time, I have few problems with it, other than in some weak areas, both e39s are the first of my cars to drop the signal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
tomlavelle said:
I have MY00 M5 and I've never been happy with the quality of my FM radio reception. The difference between CD sound and FM sound is dramatic. I expect some relative lack of quality for the obvious reasons, but I also hear some static on occasion and just feel overall that it sounds like, well, an FM radio with poor reception.

Anybody else experience this? Is there a means of improving FM radio reception? I assume that the FM radio antenna is in the rear window glass, since I don't see an external antenna anywhere else on the car. Loose connection perhaps?
I face the same situation. Were you able to get better reception?
If so, how? Thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
bksf said:
I face the same situation. Were you able to get better reception?
If so, how? Thanks.
My FM is fine and the Navigation works fine, but my AM reception is TERRIBLE!!! :crying2: :crying2: . I have tinted windows and they are not supposed to be metalic, but who knows?

My question is this - because the FM and Navigation seem to work fine, does it eliminate the tint as a possible cause of the problem with the AM reception?
Thanks for any insights!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts