BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever run against one of these on the street? How did the M5 do?
TripleD

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did. The post is here

Robert

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Stock, it's a 14.0 car. What a bust that car was. As a prior owner of a 1965 GTO, I probably would have bought one if they had done a better job with it. The interior is pretty decent for a GM car. Exterior is ok but needs some spicing up. Nothing over the top, just more agressive. They put the wrong motor in it (imo). They Z06 engine should have been in there. I think there were rumors of a Judge coming out with this engine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I noticed the '05 have 400hp 6.0l LS2 motor plus a RAM air hood and dual exhaust. Not bad for the money. I think this could be an excellent daily driver.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with the above statement. You would think they would have put a little more effort into the exterior design of the GTO. Not unlike the M5, it takes someone with at least a bit of knowledge to spot one. And what is with the one-sided dual pipe exhaust on the GTO when random schwag Grand Ams have (utterly unnecessary) dual-sided quad exhausts ouich? I think GM missed the boat on this one, at least for now. But then again, the car is 30K not 80K. Funny how spoiled we become after spending some QT in the beasts.

:cheers:
Jutty

My Car:

http://www.rcctech.net/pics/caesar/

Dinan stage III Suspension
Dinan front and rear strut bar
Dinan Cold air intakes
Dinan computer software
Euro angel Eye headlights w/6000K bulbs
HID foglights w/6000K bulbs
AP Racing 6-piston big brake kit w/14" rotors
19" TSW Kyalami wheels
275-30-19 Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires
Tubi exhaust
V1 hardwired with stealth display
K-40 laser diffuser hardwired with hidden display
Hamman sideskirts
Blacked out grill and body mouldings
UUC Evo 3 short shift kit
A/D/S component speakers front and rear
PPI Art series A600 amp
Lumar tinted windows
Home Depot sink drains for brake cooling

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
boostmiser said:
Stock, it's a 14.0 car. What a bust that car was. As a prior owner of a 1965 GTO, I probably would have bought one if they had done a better job with it. The interior is pretty decent for a GM car. Exterior is ok but needs some spicing up. Nothing over the top, just more agressive. They put the wrong motor in it (imo). They Z06 engine should have been in there. I think there were rumors of a Judge coming out with this engine.
As the prior owner of a 67 rag top, the car's an embarresment - Pontiac/GM blew it (looks & performance)- then again what else is new? :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
My 540iT can keep up with them... no problem (not the 05's ... have not tangled with one)

they are quick... for the $$$ ... but will lose to the beast

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too felt like they had a phenomenal opportunity to get it right and they massively dissappointed, unlike the Mustang GT, which looks pretty cool to me. Just the name GTO conjures up great memories and respect. Not anymore.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The new Pontiac GTO is actually a Holden Monaro with some changes like a different fuel tank. The 05 GTO has an LS2, more powerful brakes, and some other changes.

Five years ago, who would have thought Pontiac would have an understated, V-8-powered coupe and BMW would have a not-so-subtle M5?

The next Pontiac GTO will be built here in the USA. Whoever styled the 2006 Pontiac Solstice should work on the next GTO.

Here is a modified 04 GTO

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2004-Pontiac-GTO-Ram-Air-6.htm

The Pontiac Solstice came as a 2002 concept...

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-Pontiac-Solstice-Roadster-Concept.htm

and will go into production similar to this...

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Pontiac-Solstice-Roadster.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts