BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cover of the latest Motor Trend features a (gorgeous yellow/orange) Pontiac G8 GXP http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0806_2009_pontiac_g8_gxp_first_look. Looks an awful lot like the E-39, and the power/perf #'s are pretty much identical. Should be had for just under $40k. Can the US car makers finally get one right??

I'll guess not...but hold out hope anyway. Sure looks good on paper though. Here's a toast to GM anyway for at least *trying*.cherrsagai

Also, given the Aussie/Holden roots, they apparently have a "Ute" version coming out too.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a bad looking car...
>>>

Well...the US *can* make good looking cars, and they certainly can make fast/powerful cars. I'd just hate to get one and have the glove box fall out...or the radio knobs to fall off/etc. If I was in the market though, this thing would be on the top of my test-drive list though. I really hope, for the sake of all things Made in The USA, they got this one right.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The way the big 3 have been improving over the last couple years is really great to see. Ford is scoring even with toyota for quality, the new Malibu is no longer being sold as fleet vehicles to rental agencies, and it's sales are going through the roof. The new Nissan Titan is on a Dodge Ram platform, and Saturn has finally brought the opel cars over from the EU.
A friend of mine has an 05 Pontiac GTO, and while he's had a couple issues, the interior quality is way beyond anything I'd seen in a GM product in years. Things are on the up and up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Only time will tell, literally. 5-6 years usually produces very glaring down falls for US Automakers. Let's hope they do better. However, I don't think they can duplicate the tactile feel or the driving experience a German made vehicle offers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
>>>

Well...the US *can* make good looking cars, and they certainly can make fast/powerful cars. I'd just hate to get one and have the glove box fall out...or the radio knobs to fall off/etc. If I was in the market though, this thing would be on the top of my test-drive list though. I really hope, for the sake of all things Made in The USA, they got this one right.
+1. I saw one the other day, andwas pleasantly surprised at how good it looked in person. Fit and finish was good and the interior layout was very nice. For the money, I'd pony up for one.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only time will tell, literally. 5-6 years usually produces very glaring down falls for US Automakers. Let's hope they do better. However, I don't think they can duplicate the tactile feel or the driving experience a German made vehicle offers.
>>>

I just think it's amazing that the people who brought us the <shudder> Aztek also built this thing. I love a line in the article...I guess they were gonna put some stupid wing on it, and Bob Lutz said something like: "How many BMW's do you see with a big wing?", so they went with the E-39 lip instead. I'm initially very impressed, and I REALLY hope the thing isn't a piece of crap.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
have a look at hsv.com.au. HSV is the performance arm of GM-Holden in Australia.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No HID Headlights

Unfortunately HID headlights are not even available as an option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also, if anyone read the latest Car and Driver, there's no Nav as an option (if you wanted a stock one that is) and you're also stuck with GM's "auto" daytime running lights.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It looks like a good car. It is so close to being a great car. A nav system and HIDs would go a long ways. The price is certainly attractive, as is the interior.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
my old man has a HSV GTS (similar car), I drove it within a month of new. The exhaust has a louder tune than our beasts, and sounded coarse. The interior rattled with WOT, and one trim piece had already fallen off.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
not bad, I say...
definatley going in the right direction with this one.
+1. The pieces are all there, but let's see how the execution is. Typically, the cars don't last, parts are cheap and fit and finish mediocre. The price is tremendous though, even if it is a 99 M5 in 2008 at half the M5 price!!:haha2:

I don't know about you, but if I considered one of these, I would wait a year or two to see how many "bugs' need to get worked out. CTS-V, version 1, was a nice enough car for the $$$, but they had some work to do on it. They may be a lot closer for 2009.

For grins, see what the dealer has for its 3 year residual on a lease....:hihi:
Regards,
Jerry

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Well, if the glove box did fall off, it wouldn't cost $400 to replace from the stealer....:haha2:
Well, sell your M5 and buy one, then!

·
Registered
167 Posts
And interesting little bit is the comparison tool from MSN auto's. I don't view it as the ultimate resource for data, but it's cool to play around with.

The GT model is currently the only listed, which is a 361hp v8 that has an MSRP of $29,310. After 5 years it shows a depreciation of $17,679.

Compare that to an 08 550i - which is also 360 hp, at $29,141 after 5 years. This of course doesn't take into account all the quality you get from owning a BMW, or the free maintenance during the warranty period. I think for the money, Pontiac has really stepped up their game on their higher end performance line - direct competition with the SRT-8's.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1 on the MSN site. I've written a few reviews there. The E-39 gets high marks...except by a few people who have obviously never driven one.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts