BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a number of strings about replacing these and the awkward location of the thing....but is the Mahle Filter any better than one supplied by Puravent. Do many owners just throw the bloody thing away and go without a filter? :nono:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have read a number of strings about replacing these and the awkward location of the thing....but is the Mahle Filter any better than one supplied by Puravent. Do many owners just throw the bloody thing away and go without a filter? :nono:
Replaced my filter on Saturday along with an oil service.....previous one didn't look too bad so I didn't think there would be a significant difference.

I was wrong........airflow was much better and smoke from trucks no longer gained access to the cabin.....can't remember the make of the filter I used though, but I bought it at ECP.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Micron make the best cabin pollen filter imho.
A match for o/e.
I change mine twice a year.
Would recommend that you do not run a/c or climate vehicle without
the filter.
Look at a dirty filter @ 12 months old & what it prevents entering into the
matrix & vent ducts.

Cheap cabin filters are available for as little as £15 but are already very
restrictive to air flow.

Climate equipped vehicles are the biggest pain to change.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The job looks fiddly, but have a spare filter and as the days get warmer (possibly) its time to put a new one in. Will post my thoughts when I get my car back, with its newly painted calipers.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My car didnt have a filter in it for a while after being serviced at bmw...
They called me to say it was blocked & quoted a rediculous price to replace
it...so I said "forget it".
They must've thrown the old filter away.

The result some time later was a toasted resistor pack as bird feathers got
into the ventilation intake & cooked on the resistor wires.

It was then I discovered the lack of pollen filter and replaced it.

They do a good job of keeping out dust.

Alan.

·
Registered
832 Posts
A match for o/e.
the filter.
matrix & vent ducts.

restrictive to air flow.

I guess this means I'll be changing mine every oil service then ( Approx 5000km ).

...With so much dust and in the tropics.....will also look out for Micron filters too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MicronAir pollen filters can be purchased from Eurocarparts here in the UK I believe.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A match for o/e.
the filter.
matrix & vent ducts.

restrictive to air flow.

And also right hand drive cars are a pita.

·
Registered
208 Posts
And also right hand drive cars are a pita.
Especially when you don't do your homework and start dismantling the passenger side(LHS, RHD), only to realise that its under the drivers side that gains you accessouich

·
Registered
183 Posts
My car didnt have a filter in it for a while after being serviced at bmw...
They called me to say it was blocked & quoted a rediculous price to replace
it...so I said "forget it".
They must've thrown the old filter away.

The result some time later was a toasted resistor pack as bird feathers got
into the ventilation intake & cooked on the resistor wires.

It was then I discovered the lack of pollen filter and replaced it.

They do a good job of keeping out dust.

Alan.
So it's not just me that's been scammed by a franchised dealer then .....:3:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
So it's not just me that's been scammed by a franchised dealer then .....:3:
I don't think there is one customer in history who's not been scammed by a franchised dealer at one time or another - whether they know it or not :hihi:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That was 8 years ago.
however the inspection II bill was £750 back then !

I'm a qualified mechanic (having only had it serviced to maintain history)
and they got a real stropp when I said don't bother changing it !

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have a rather expensive BMW OEM filter spare.

I bought it with a view to fitting it only to find out my car does not have one at all. The plastic BMW bag it was it is tatty but the unit is as new.

I'll post a pic of it later and the actual BMW part number. If anyone wants it for a reasonable price, if not I'll Ebay it!!

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
183 Posts
Similar to my experience then - I didn't have time to service the car myself so in it went for an inspection II - about £650 in 2001. I only found out though when I came to replace it a few years later - I had been charged for a filter but it hadn't been fitted :grrrr:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Similar to my experience then - I didn't have time to service the car myself so in it went for an inspection II - about £650 in 2001. I only found out though when I came to replace it a few years later - I had been charged for a filter but it hadn't been fitted :grrrr:

This type of service level is absolutely appalling.....:grrrrr:...and I thought we were the only ones that had it rough !

I guess dealers are the same wherever you go......take a pig to Siberia and what do you have ?......a cold pig....bring same pig to Nigeria and you have a hot one......but a pig nonetheless !

@Ivan...I'm interested in your filter.....ECP had only 1 left when I was over there and its just been fitted....so a spare would come in handy !

Cheers

Erik

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I have spare Micron filters if anyone gets pushed for one.:)

I keep many of the vulnerable hoses & pipes supporting the coolant system
in stock as well as De-gas header tanks which are German order generally.

Cheers
Farrell

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had no, and I mean no, air coming through the vents, and I thought that it was going to be something major.

Farrell replaced mine, and I now have heating!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Getting the right filter !

Hi all.

I have a RHD '95 E34 540i LE 6 speed with air conditioning (BK35205). The filter in it at the moment is a MicronAir. It has a longitudinal split in it so the bottom half can be removed to clear the steering shaft. Then the top half can be removed, but you guys probably already new that.

The filter has "8 350 016" embossed in the frame. One half of the filter has "Uber" embossed in it frame & the half has "Unter". All makes sense. When I go to the ETK and look at the part for my car it shows a filter with this number 64 31 8 350 016. That looks close enough to the number on my filter. Problem is the illustration doesn't show the filter as having 2 halves. :confused: It also shows an alternate filter part number 64 31 9 069 925, but I assume this is for cars without air conditioning.

BMW Australia want A$180+, about US$160 for this filter. I try a local alternate supplier, provide the part number and describe the filter with the split. He does the normal "yer yer I know the thing" and charges me A$70 or so........ a bargain, and puts the unit in the post. :biggrinbounce:

When the filter arrives, no split, so it's useless.

Does anyone know the trick to ordering the filter with the split in it ?

Thanks and Regards,

Reg.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reg I have a 1995 M5 LE and recently purchased a replacement split pollen filter from a UK BMW parts supplier which cost me £20 or there about. It is Mahle produced, Micronair, with top and bottom marked in German. Easy to get here in the UK so my guess is buy one online from a Uk supplier and have it sent across the world for a few ££££.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts