BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Max price you would pay for the 5.7L 628HP Dinan motor installed?

• No more than 15K

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • No More than 25K

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • No More than 35K

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I'm buying at the 50K MSRP

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wouldn't buy it for any price

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me Dinan could make more money selling these motors at a lower price point. What is the max you would be willing to pay for the 5.7L 628HP motor installed?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I would love one but $50k is too steep for me...I dont feel that its a rip off, just not in my budget. If I had much more money I would go with Dinan.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I will wait for another misguided guy to piss off his money. When he wants to sell his M5/M6 it willbe impossible to get that expense back out . That is the time to buy the car. You NEVER get back what you put into it!

For that kind of money this is NOT enough power gain.

I know there you purist out there but for a couple of thousand $$ my NOS kit will out perform the 50K motor.

Go ahead somebody please spend your money and when it comes time to sell it will go for value of an M5/M6 of that year. Then I'll pounce.

I take the 50K and put a down payment on another GT3 to have more track weapons.

This is totally bullsh*t, at least let me keep my motor and then I still think it's a rip. All you Dinan lovers are say well don't get it. You know what, I won't.

Cheers gentlemen,
M5Ranger

BTW what are any performance numbers of this "motor"? What does this motor put to the wheels? You have to produce real world numbers and results. All the rest is BS talk. They will snag a few fools.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Well, the Dinan Stroker "engine" is pretty cool and they are in business and will always find people who want to waste money on a nice car.....with that said, i personally would rather put 20-50 grand into a more, how can i say "fun" car.....like if the swap is 50 k say...for 30k more buy a ZO6....and don't touch it...there 2 cars for cheap $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
if that was like 700 hp to the wheels...then 50k would make sense...but I think thats just redic...
+1 and thats why i voted 15k

Its an engine swap for God's sake and not just add on mods :eek:h:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Please allow me clarify my earlier comments.
This engine mod (swap) could be justifiable IMO under two conditions.
1. Do this from the get-go, before spending any money on any mods. After dropping several thousands of $'s and then doing this is a big waste of money.
2. You can keep your stock engine. 50K and they get your engine is not a deal.
As stated in my sig. for the few thousands spent (bolt on's) the motor dyno'ed 460 - 465 rwhp which is approx. 570 bhp. Now for 50k I get an additional 58 bhp? Not a deal to me.
It is ridiculous to talk about a lower price for the Dinan engine because they will never do it.
And for those special moments when you need it there's the juice ( for a couple of K's) which catapaults the M5 to 581 rwhp (709 bhp). The nitrous is not always on for those that may not know. The car has its own ECU flash to handle the nitrous delivery. A perfect system.

Gentlemen we are all adults and we spend our money according to what we can and what pleases us.

Cheers,

M5Ranger

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
M5Ranger, you have the ASR Nitrous kit, right?

I think you have made your choise and many other choose the Dinan non-nitrous way. Just different concepts.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is hilarious - I am on the exact same page as Ranger. The point of this thread was simply to show that Dinan doesn't want to sell these motors - they just want to rape some more people on mandrel tubing, and the news of this motor will help them to do that.

So far, according to the poll, they have sold 29 motors at an avg of about 22K versus 1 motor at 50K. Point proven.

Finally, why should we be grateful to Dinan for anything? Is he doing something so wonderful and unique? We need to demand more value from our jesters. :deal:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
You dont have to buy it...most people obviously wont...From his point of view...if he cut his profit in half and sold twice as many engines what good with that do him from a business standpoint? I'd rather sell less engines and make more profit...not defending him as a consumer...I would love to see it cut in half price wise...but as a business man I can understand his pricing.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You dont have to buy it...most people obviously wont...From his point of view...if he cut his profit in half and sold twice as many engines what good with that do him from a business standpoint? I'd rather sell less engines and make more profit...not defending him as a consumer...I would love to see it cut in half price wise...but as a business man I can understand his pricing.
My economics teacher in college taught me some very good lessons, one of which was "If you make one dollar on a deal its worth doing" that may be an extreme but looking at the poll if dinans cost of production is between 15-20k then they are very poor business men to be selling the motor for 50k. As Dick Fidd pointed out the avg was 29 people will buy it at 22k which assuming it costs them 20k to make means a profit of 58k as opposed to the 30k profit of only selling one at 50k. Again depending on the cost of production the numbers all change but if I had to guess they are not really thinking this through.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I would think there costs are higher...R & D, marketing, warranty issues, etc. Going by your numbers obviously selling more would mean more profit...but if your numbers arent 100% accurate...say expenses were off by 10k, knock your profit down to 48k. You are going to sell 29 engines, mechanical units under warranty...that 48 k for 22 units doesnt sound too appealing to me. I would still prefer to make $30k profit on one unit...much less of a headache and a bit of a safer bet...even keeping your numbers...is it worth it to Dinan to make only 28k additional on 28 more customers???? Not for me, and obviously not for the people at Dinan.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
My guess is that the price is set to what costs he have and how many prospective buyers. Dinan should now, I beleive he sold between 200 and 300 S2 M5 E39 complete conversions at around $35 000.

Since there isn't any competitor yet with a similar offering, it seems hard to do a comparison. G-Power dual supercharger system is a €75 000 conversion.

A 5,7 liter BMW M6 would probably take on a Ferrari 599 and be faster than a stock Z06. We know what around $30k in modifications to an M6 will get you:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103744

Now you can have a faster warrantied M5 or M6 for around $40 000.

I for one think that it is GREAT that Dinan does this, and the option is not do it at all.

Steve is an enthusiast, and just making this engine available to the public just shows that.

Alternatively, you cna go the AC Schnitzer route, or in some regards Hartge with no or very slim engine tuning options. Focus on qunaity and volume on wheels and spoilerkits. That is sad.

This is hilarious - I am on the exact same page as Ranger. The point of this thread was simply to show that Dinan doesn't want to sell these motors - they just want to rape some more people on mandrel tubing, and the news of this motor will help them to do that.

So far, according to the poll, they have sold 29 motors at an avg of about 22K versus 1 motor at 50K. Point proven.

Finally, why should we be grateful to Dinan for anything? Is he doing something so wonderful and unique? We need to demand more value from our jesters. :deal:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Man I'm in the wrong business. When I get called in the middle of the night because a patient has an acute arterial occulsion in a leg and I have to spend hours of blood sweating work to save the patients' leg. Doing arteriograghy, thrombolytic infusion (clot dissolving meds), angioplasty (ballooning the artery) and endovascular stenting (expandible metallic mesh). Worry it all works without complication (getting sued) and paying $79,000 a year in malpractice insurance. Then you bill Medicare, HMO or even reg. insurance (if it still exists) and they pay you $580 you want to scream. We take it up the you-know-what everyday but hey that is my life and choice.
But do not expect me to give Dinan or any other outfit any consideration for their work as if they are saving lives.
I guess my years, study, research and work don't count for sh*t. No problem, I've lived it for 29 years.

I should stop posting, it's pissing off.

Enjoy your holidays,

M5Ranger

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Im not saying Dina nis saving lives :) Im just saying it's great that he offers this product, just as great as ASR Engineerign is offering NOS to the M5 and M6.

I always have a huge respce for people in the medical field, they do a great job and (for Sweden) it is without bonuses or special compensations; they save lives.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.