• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey friends, I have had oil leaking down through my intakes, through the plenums and soaking through both air filters continuing down to the ground. I am adding about 1 quart/2 days Castrol Syntec 5W30. When it is really cold there is occasional roughness and grey smoke during hard accelleration, other times she runs fine. SES code is on most of the time but disappears once in a while, Peake is reading codes 71 and 90, Bank 2 intake CPS and both exhaust CPS' are brand spankin' new. Problem has been going on for 3 weeks, daily driver and still driving daily. Search results have revealed about 4 strong possibilities, but I don't want to fix-by-error the car and would like your guys' opinion as to what is causing this, especially if you have had this problem or have mechanical experience. Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have said oil seporators because they are very cheap and easy to replace and will improve your oil consumption. Also think about it this way, if you have got oil in the plenums there is only on way it could be getting in there, the oil seporators! I am not saying this will fix everything because it sounds to me like you may have more than one problem. But my advice not only to you but to everybody on this board is if you have not already changed you OS then change them, it can't hurt you, the car or your wallet. Simple.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i would change the oil pressure valves on both sides and oil sperators also since oil is comeing out thru the intake your mafs are toast by now thats why u have a ck engine light

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil seperators, do they HAVE to be replaced or can they just be thoroughly cleaned, they look like hard plastic that has nothing that would break, so could I just clean them instead?

I just ordered some o-rings for the bank 2 vanos but not the oil pressure valve because it's very expensive and doesn't sound like I need it, should be just bad o-rings I hope. Like I mentioned the only code I'm, having is 71 which is Vanos driver's side, so I'm guessing if my MAF's were ruined that would set off more codes, I wouldn't be surprised if they are slightly fouled but performance seems 100% so I will hold off on changing them they seem strong to me. I will change the driver's side vanos o-rings, clean the oil separators, and post an update. Let me know any more thoughts and ideas please.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
the oil seperators ave a baffle inside them that baffle ruptures. they are cheap items just easier to buy new ones and slap them on

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'd not buy new new oil separators. I was gonna buy new ones, removed them, checked them and found out there is nothing inside ... they are hollow inside... nothing to go wrong

Try to switch from Castrol Syntec to BMW Castrol 5w-30. According to some people here Castrol Syntec 5w-30 is not a BMW approved Castrol oil.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I voted for separators, but you are also using the wrong oil.

5W-30 is too thick for cold weather and too thin for operating temperature. It is also not BMW approved.

I like Syntec, but you need 0W-30, not 5W.

Alternatively, try Mobil1 0W-40.

Neither of these are going to completely resolve your oil burning issue, but it will help and will extend your engine life.

d-

·
10,456 Posts
i voted o-rings, because this problem has been posted before, and that was the fix. The oil separators are not a complex part, what is forcing the oil into them in the first place? Either the o rings, or a huge amount of blow by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts