BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poll: What sounds better muffler delete or resonator delete?

I'm looking for a more aggressive sound but after listening to several youtube videos it's really hard to decide...?!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
if you enjoy drone, delete your resonator.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Forget youtube and what anybody says. Find a car with the setup that you're describing and listen to it in person. You're in LA, there are quite a few M5s around that area.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've read alot on this subject and the consensus seems to be that resonator delete, while it may sound ok, will drone like a mother and you may end up hating it. On the other hand, I've actually heard a muffler deleted M5 and while relatively tame during crusing, it really roars on acceleration and sounds all business. Others have said that muffler deleted M5's do "crack" pretty loudly on cold starts which, depending on how close your neighbors are, may annoy them a bit. That being said, if I didn't already have Dinan cans I'd probably go muffler delete with Timmay's Tips.

This may help: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/165564-official-straight-pipe-muffler-delete-fact-thread.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's apples to oranges but I have a resonator delete with stock cans and there is NO drone. It sounds good to me, not mch louder than stock but has a little more aggressive sound to it. I am considering puting the resonator back on a cutting off the mufflers just to get a little more sound, but I think the resonator is a good place to start. Hang on to it and you can always put it back on.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It all comes down to personal taste... I myself went with the resonator delete because I don't like standing out even more than I already do. My car is red ;)

With the resonator delete at low rpm's the exhaust has a deeper groan. Makes it sound kinda more muscle carish.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
It all comes down to personal taste... I myself went with the resonator delete because I don't like standing out even more than I already do. My car is red ;)

With the resonator delete at low rpm's the exhaust has a deeper groan. Makes it sound kinda more muscle carish.

without a tune and proper X-pipe you've lost power with this mod. the OEM resonator takes advantage of the Helmholtz Resonance Frequency.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having lived with the muffler delete for a year, I can say I would never go back. First cold start of the day followed taking your foot off the gas can result in some crackling, but only for the first minute or two. Not noticable for the rest of the day. The gas pedal now doubles as the loud pedal, which you can control at will....it's easy to be loud, and it's easy to blend in with the crowd. It has passed the strict Massachusets annual inspection sticker test twice now, so no worries there. No SES lights, 80lbs lighter, short money, and sounds like a "beast" is supposed to sound. Win, win, and you can always go back to stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopQqZU4IwU

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
First cold start of the day followed taking your foot off the gas can result in some crackling, but only for the first minute or two.

What you're hearing is the secondary air system pumping fresh air into the exhaust, just aft of the exhaust valves.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just do a muffler delete. I've gotten SOOOO many compliments, its absolutely overwhelming. I have a friend with an expensive exhaust system, my car sounds better. Not bias.

It is the perfect combination of quiet, understated, while being able to sound beastly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
without a tune and proper X-pipe you've lost power with this mod. the OEM resonator takes advantage of the Helmholtz Resonance Frequency.
Interesting, can you explain more how deleting the resonator makes you lose power? I'm quite intrigued by this statemetn.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I might be biased, but I say muffler delete. EVERYONE compliments me on how my car sounds, even "American muscle" guys. "I didn't know BMW's sounded like that!" is what I usually hear. Most of my friends who have M5's all say they would go with the muffler delete if they hadn't already spent money buying their current set up.

You won't regret it. Best "nonperformance" mod I've done to my car.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mr. Timmay77 is correct..
I've had people that hate anything but american cars go "whaaaaaat is that its awesome!"
Muffler delete is the way to go..
I've never had so many smiles from such little money..
Well... Mod-wise ;)

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mattmartindrift....

Have a look at the 540 resonator on your 540......then have a look at the M5 resonator(pics online).............then have another go at posting about Helmholtz................

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Mattmartindrift....

Have a look at the 540 resonator on your 540......then have a look at the M5 resonator(pics online).............then have another go at posting about Helmholtz................

Are you talking about how they're identical with the exception of the 540 having one exit, and the M5's having two? Yes, headers, and mid-pipes and cats are all the same.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Did you do a resonator delete on your E39 M5? How much power was lost?

I think there's more value and credit in peoples actual experiences not theories.

Yeah, you're probably right. People's perceptions are never biased towards their own decisions. Theories and science have no place in engineering - what was I thinking?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Are you talking about how they're identical with the exception of the 540 having one exit, and the M5's having two? Yes, headers, and mid-pipes and cats are all the same.
Allow me to simplify..........the M5 resonator is an H pipe, two entries and two exits........

Your 540 resonator is an H pipe the same shape as the M5 one BUT with one exit........Hence it does have this 'cavity' that your Helmholtz theory requires.

It does not apply to the M5. Thanks for confusing everyone mate.

Let's do pics!

M5 resonator...

540i resonator.....

Did we have a 540 forum?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Allow me to simplify..........the M5 resonator is an H pipe, two entries and two exits........

Your 540 resonator is an H pipe the same shape as the M5 one BUT with one exit........Hence it does have this 'cavity' that your Helmholtz theory requires.

It does not apply to the M5. Thanks for confusing everyone mate.

Did we have a 540 forum?

you've cut open m5 resonators, i take it. you don't need the entire separate chamber to make it a helmholtz resonator, only ample internal volume(s) and proper routing.

I think most non-M owners choose to avoid the pretentious nature of most 10-year-old M car owners. perhaps you could start a revolution, and have us inferior car owners banned!! I think we should all have to post lap times around known courses and compare us low-brow, inferior car owners.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts