BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How pleased are you with your scan-tool?

• I have a scan-tool and I´m pleased with it, and it is money well spent.

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Have a scan-tool, but wish I bought another model instead.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Have (or used to have) a scan-tool, but it is (was) not worth the money.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have (or used to have) a scan-tool, how pleased are you with the purchase?

David

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dave:

Works fine, easy to use, good manual, covers most models. Absolutely no complaints.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bought the Peake Tool - for the few times the computer has had a hiccup and the cursed SES light goes on, its been invaluable in diagnosing the problem and saving the trouble of going to the dealer.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jjc1843 said:
Dave:

Works fine, easy to use, good manual, covers most models. Absolutely no complaints.
Which model do you have, please?

David

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have the EASE PocketScan OBD II scan tool, www.obd2.com

This one is more expensive than most (software $500+), works with a Compaq iPAQ hand held computer. It seems quite capable and probably can do more than I know how to use. Works on many makes and models.

·
Registered
204 Posts
DavidS said:
Those who have (or used to have) a scan-tool, how pleased are you with the purchase?

David
I have the Peake Research tool (for the round, under hood connector) and it works very well on my 2000 M5.

I just bought an "Actron CP9135" OBD II Scanner at AutoZone ($150), It worked on an Audi A-4, Land Rover and '01 740i - but does not work on my 2000 M5! It just will not sync with the car's computer - just get "Link Error" every time I try it. Tried different key positions, checked that the plug was firmly inserted, etc. No go Danno.

Tom L.

·
Registered
530 Posts
DavidS said:
Which model do you have, please?

David
Oh yes, Peake R5/FCX Version II

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
jjc1843 said:
Oh yes, Peake R5/FCX Version II

Same here. Just purchased 2 days ago. I wanted something simple to live in the car.

I might explore one of the other systems that can log/graph on a laptop in the future.

A

Edit: I didn't vote at first, then it tells me I already voted after I posted... so call me 'satisfied'.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm another user of the Ease scan tool.
Mine is the laptop version, I would have liked the option for a Palm.
It would have made the test runs easier.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I bought this one:

http://www.iequus.com/item.asp?cid=7&pid=3030

as it was on sale for $99 cdn, no other reason. 50% off, supposedly. The sale price, was the price it SHOULD have been. Go figure.

I have to look up the codes in a manual, but hey, thumbing a few pages and saving mucho cash... why not. It's saved me from more than a few sleepless nights, so far, as I live at least 170km (two hours) from the nearest BMW dealer for BMW parts. I'd of bought the Peake reader or a better one than I have, but it was very much a 'I need it NOW' kind of situation. So far it has served me very well.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Thanks for the timely thread!! I'ts time for me to get some kind of diagnostic scan tool. Was just at the dealership yesterday where they were very kind enough to check out a solidly lit "SES" light on my out of warranty '02 M5 (55K on the odo), that had gone on and off for several days. Turned out to be the camshaft pulse generator, bank 2 I believe.
I want to keep repairs on this car as low in cost as possible :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts