• Maybe

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as alot of folks seem to be having MAF problems.. a lucky bunch can go back to the dealer to get a new set of MAF's, but the folks with no warranty or have modified their cars, so the MAF no longer falls under the warranty clause got me thinking.. why not a group buy on MAF's?

3 options,

1. Yep, good idea, I be in for a set of 2
  2. No, not a good idea
  3. Maybe.. depends on the price and availablity etc.
What do others think? :typing:

Tin

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
too late for me, i already dished out $900 for a new pair last week!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey TIN,

I'd be up for a group buy on the Dinan Larger Mafs.

If you are replacing them, why not go larger. mmmmmm

MJ

·
Registered
511 Posts
Then get yourself some 97-98 540 MAF housings. Those suckers are huge. But for the sensor itself, just cleaning them will save you a $hit load of money.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MIB said:
Hey TIN,

I'd be up for a group buy on the Dinan Larger Mafs.

If you are replacing them, why not go larger. mmmmmm

MJ
MIB, now thats a thought.. hmm... can this run without any other Dinan mods? suspect it would be difficult to source, but maybe if there's enough interest, it could be feasible..

Cheers dude.

Tin

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greco said:
Then get yourself some 97-98 540 MAF housings. Those suckers are huge. But for the sensor itself, just cleaning them will save you a $hit load of money.
Thanks, Bill, are the Dinan larger maf's based on the 97/98 540 mafs? hmmm

Tin

·
Registered
511 Posts
I know for the 540's the intake manifold they use is based on the pre-vanos M62 engine which had larger intake runners, so it wouldn't suprprise me if indeed it was based of the 97-98 model as well, but then again 540's use 1 intake tract so the MAF housing is generally larger compared to M5's so using any MY 540 MAF housing would be an increase in size for the M5.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I dont think Dinan products qualify for a group buy here!

·
10,445 Posts
even with the dinan MAFS, you use your oe electronics, with the dinan part, you're only getting the housing (which really seems kind of expensive to me) and the ductwork. So if you're having mafs probs, and you wanted to upgrade to dinan, you'd still need new i'sensors'.
Now this 540 sensor thing is interesting. You'd still need to source larger diameter plumbing, and get some software to take into account more airflow.

I met a guy at a drivers school who made his own mafs, at least the housings, and used the stock electronics, and some cobbled up ductwork. It looked a bit sketchy, and would occasionally throw an ses light.... but he didn't have software for them yet.
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
Point of clarification. Do you mean the MAF sensor or the housing? I think you mean the sensors. The Dinan MAFS system uses the same OEM sensor - only the housing is different (larger bore, no honeycomb screen). Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stumbo said:
I'd probably be up for it, but am in the UK - and suspect this is a US group buy ?
It'd be open for all. (I'm in UK too) ;)

It'll probably be just for the sensor itself, however I believe the housing comes as one complete unit, hence tubing and sensor..

Tin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts