BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

As a potential buyer - what are your current thoughts about ordering the E60 M5?

• Have placed an order for a car - can't wait for delivery time!

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • Have postponed order to await a manual for delivery in late 2006

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Have postoned order to wait for the bugs to be worked out

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Changed my mind, won't be getting an E60 M5.... (please specify reason)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • On waiting list to finalize order

Votes: 12 20.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A poll for those of you who have been contemplating buying a E60 M5...

Not that you have seen the first deliveries take place and heard the reactions from the owners, what are your thoughts about the E60 M5?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Two weeks until D-Day... D for delivery :happybirt

·
Registered
245 Posts
kees said:
A poll for those of you who have been contemplating buying a E60 M5...

Not that you have seen the first deliveries take place and heard the reactions from the owners, what are your thoughts about the E60 M5?
put deposit down and am waiting for call to make the order!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
There should be an option along the lines of "On waiting list to place order ASAP." I suspect this is where most members are since only those at the top of long waiting lists have been able to actually order yet, especially in the US.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bernhtp said:
There should be an option along the lines of "On waiting list to place order ASAP." I suspect this is where most members are since only those at the top of long waiting lists have been able to actually order yet, especially in the US.

Tom
done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an allocation for an 06' 997S but am also interested in seeing both the M5 and the new ZO6. I love my wife's 745Li other than i-drive its sublime. The M5 could be a nice marriage of practicality and still smack around 911's and Vettes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Waiting for bugs to be ironed out and the interior updates. Getting a new car once a year till my dream car comes in at 2008.

2008 M5 with all the trimmings

-Currently driving a AMG Merc with an M badge hoping it would drive like an M. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a small reservation deposit for an E60 M5, delivery around April '07.

I feel better about getting a car that is not first year, especially a car as complex as the new M5. As well, the lease on my '04 Audi A8L ends around the same time.

For me, the M5 is a bit of a hedge to compare against the strongly rumoured S8 with possibly a V10 motor as well. I'll admit (flame suit on) that I'm not crazy about the interior/exterior aesthetics of the E60 but the lure of that package with the V10/7-speed SMG is just too strong to ignore! :eek:

I got the A8L in its first year of existence but have been very lucky with no major issues on the car. This is also my first Audi after a string of 5 BMWs (7 if you count my wife's cars) and I had little choice after deciding the E66 745Li just isn't for me.

FWIW, I am a decidedly diehard BMW fan, still have my M3 as my track car and involved as an instructor at BMW Club performance driving schools both in the U.S. and Canada. So I am really hoping that this M5 is the car that brings me back to the fold of BMW ownership and that they'll work out any issues with the car by the time I have to decide.

I recall vividly the frustration of some of the E46 M3 owners suffered when the crank had issues on the first batch of cars, causing catastrophic failures of the motor. I almost became one of those owners until I decided to keep the E36 and build it into a more dedicated track car. Hope this doesn't happen with the E60 M5! :wroom:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Decided to pay over sticker and just jump the line. Picked out options today but not the colors yet. I was surprised to see that Alcantera headliner was not standard as before. Car came out to $95.5 + markup (**** markup but I guess you have to pay to play). Any suggestions on colors?

Former E55K and CL55K owner here...was in the MB forum under E55_POWER. Suppose to get Z06 in the next 2 weeks. Figure I drive that til November (M5 Delivery) and get rid of it when the M arrives.

My buddy Spero (04E55 AMG on the MB forum) and I are suppose to hit the track after the M gets broken in. Will post results then but we're still about 2 3 months away for the run.

Any help with colors is much appreciated as the dealer did not have swatches for the interior. Was thinking Black with red interior.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm due for November delivery but still undecided on what to really do when it gets here. Like Roy, I'm not the biggest fan of the exterior and interior aesthetics of the E60 but as a car enthusiast (who's also a longtime F1 fan), it's almost impossible to resist a high-strung V10 in a sleeper sedan package. Other alternatives is the upcoming RS4 and 997 turbo. I'm a big audi fan and have had 2 S4's in the past, but my RS4 wouldn't be due until next spring and that's a long wait for the kind of new car itch I'm having now. Thinking about buying the M5 regardless and enjoy it until the RS4 arrives. Also first in line for a 997 turbo but I've been on a sedan drought for a while and I've always preferred sedans over any type of car. Tough decisions... but I guess there are worse problems to have. If only the E60's interior wasn't so ugly the decision would be easier.... * sigh *

·
Registered
158 Posts
Amen Brother :D :D :D

hal2000 said:
I just pray that all the gremlins are out of it

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I think you will keep the M5. I cannot see you would change to a slower Audi RS4

masmole said:
I'm a big audi fan and have had 2 S4's in the past, but my RS4 wouldn't be due until next spring and that's a long wait for the kind of new car itch I'm having now. Thinking about buying the M5 regardless and enjoy it until the RS4 arrives. Also first in line for a 997 turbo but I've been on a sedan drought for a while and I've always preferred sedans over any type of car. *

·
Registered
134 Posts
masmole said:
I'm due for November delivery but still undecided on what to really do when it gets here. Like Roy, I'm not the biggest fan of the exterior and interior aesthetics of the E60 but as a car enthusiast (who's also a longtime F1 fan), it's almost impossible to resist a high-strung V10 in a sleeper sedan package. Other alternatives is the upcoming RS4 and 997 turbo. I'm a big audi fan and have had 2 S4's in the past, but my RS4 wouldn't be due until next spring and that's a long wait for the kind of new car itch I'm having now. Thinking about buying the M5 regardless and enjoy it until the RS4 arrives. Also first in line for a 997 turbo but I've been on a sedan drought for a while and I've always preferred sedans over any type of car. Tough decisions... but I guess there are worse problems to have. If only the E60's interior wasn't so ugly the decision would be easier.... * sigh *
Tough choices indeed...but like you'd said, it's a nice problem for us to have.

The A8L has been my first Audi and I've been very impressed. And the aesthetics and build quality have been top notch, better than the 745Li that I had considered at the time.

My choices are really down to the M5 or the S8, but am not sure when/if the S8 comes out as details have been very sketchy. The RS4 is a cool car and depending on the final pricing here in the Stateside, it could be a monster. And then the RS6 is up next, and that's rumoured to give the M5 a run for its money as well.

I'd be interested to know what you end up with!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Put my order in last week. Getting the car early next year...can't wait!

beyarecords said:
putting my order in next week. 2 years wait?!?! I don't how i'm gonna manage that!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ordered mine today

should be delivered in Spartainburg in Nov.
Can't wait!!!!!!1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts