BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How would you rate the Axxis Delux Plus overall compared to BMW OEM pads?

• Much better than BMW OEM pads

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Better than BMW OEM pads

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Equal to BMW OEM pads

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Worst than BMW OEM pads

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Useless

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have BMW OEM pads on the car now. I´m thinking of changing over to Axxis Delux Plus to get less brake-dust.

Those who have or have had Axxis Delux Plus pads, how satisfied are you with those?

Please vote, and feel free to post your observations.

David

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am using the Axxis Delux pads with my StopTech BBK and have much less brake dust with better than stock cold and hot braking performance. I would be interested to hear the report from the guy who voted "worse than OEM" as I cannot imagine this to be true.

TexasM5

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Texas,

How are those when it rains?
Did you run Axxis Deluxe pads on the stock rotors before, or did you get rotors and pads at the same time?

David

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have had the Delux and Ultimates on the front Stoptech BBK. The Ultimates performed better for my type of driving. More brake dust with the Ultimates, but I could care less about that.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
of course, you didn't say "for what" - these are NOT track pads. But as street pads, I can say:

1. Wear: I have 35,000 miles on my Axxis Deluxe pads. They still have plenty of wear left, as do the rotors.

2. Dust: Not dust free, but WAY less than factory. You never feel like you have to wash your wheels before the car needs it anyway.

3. Power/feel: The difference between cold and hot is greater than with the factory pads - the Axxis pads grab better when warmed a bit. They also require less pedal pressure for the same braking performance, reducing flex and swell in the system, so feel is better.

4. Wet - I notice that when wet, the pads seem to take a bit longer to clear the water and begin useful braking than the factory pads did. A strange feeling, but once understood it is easy to compensate. Note that this is felt under light braking, not emergency braking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is no question when it comes to dust as the Axxis Deluxe Plus are one of the best. I have found the inital bite of the axxis deluxe pads to be less than the OEM pads, especially when cold. I also think they require a little more pressure to get the same braking effect. The life of the pad seems to somewhat better but I will need some more miles to really find out how long they last.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I started running them after I installed the StopTech front BBK, so keep that in mind. On my factory calipers, I'd been running Mintex Red Box street and C-Tech track.

Now I run the Axxis Deluxe Plus street and PFC01s track (in front only; rear temps stay cool enough that I run the Deluxe Plus in the back on the track as well).

Dust: I'd SWAG it to be a 75-80% improvement over stock pads. For this reason alone, I put a complete set on the wifey's E38 740i Sport.

Cold bite: I didn't notice the need for heat/pressure under light braking, but this may be a StopTech difference. They feel every bit as good as stock.

Wet braking: again, did not discern a difference. In this case, it's been so long (and full wet driving so infrequent) that my memory may be at fault here.

Overall: I'd give 'em an 'A.' IIRC, I outfitted all four corners from DaveZ for around $100....

-Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the Axxis Delux pads on my E39 M5 with the stock rotors and my E39 528iT with stock front rotors and OEM brembo rear rotors . Way less dust than stock. Equal or better breaking. The 528iTs brakes squeel a little but only at certain temperatures. Colder or warmer and they are silent just like the factory pads.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I also got mine from Dave Z and run them on all four corners. As already posted, big (90%?) decrease in brake dust, still stops great and I am still on original rotors with 50K on the clock. A "thumbs up" upgrade!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big thanks everyone for all the great input so far! Looks like this is what I´m going to buy next time the car needs new pads.

I would very much like to ask the people who have voted "Worse than BMW OEM pads" to please send me a message about in what way the Axxis pads are unsatisfatory. I´d really like that input too.

David

·
Registered
767 Posts
DavidS said:
Big thanks everyone for all the great input so far! Looks like this is what I´m going to buy next time the car needs new pads.

I would very much like to ask the people who have voted "Worse than BMW OEM pads" to please send me a message about in what way the Axxis pads are unsatisfatory. I´d really like that input too.

David
I'm not the one who voted "worse", but they are (a little) when it comes to the pads being cold and/or wet. However, break dust is 90% gone so I use these pads on 3 BMWs.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
DavidS said:

I can jump in here to answer that. All else being equal, the cold bite of Axxis D+ is slightly worse than the OEM pads. The reason I qualified my answer with "all else being equal" is that this is often not the case. Whenever I sell anyone a set of brake pads, I go over the bedding process and, if the customer is interested, explain the physics behind bedding. I also explain that you should bed the OEM brakes on your new car to get optimum performance.

To many of my customers, this bedding process is totally new. So they are often comparing the performance of unbedded OEM brakes to bedded Axxis Deluxe Plus brakes. That explains why some people responding to this poll describe the Axxis D+ pads as having better cold bite and better feel than OEM and others say it's worse. Those who never bedded their OEM brakes will see a marked improvement when they install D+ pads and then bed them properly. Those who had previously bedded their OEM brakes are probably the ones who noticed a slight decrease in cold bite after they installed the D+ pads. So it's not apples to apples. And that's why the responses come down on both sides.

Also, keep in mind that any new pads installed on old rotors will feel like crap until they've been broken in and take the shape of the old rotors. You'll need to either bed the pads twice or postpone your initial bedding session until you've used the brakes enough that the entire surface of the new pads is coming in contact with the old rotors. Until you've done this, there's no way to compare the performance of the old and new pads.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is what I would call an Expert Answer!

Thanks, Dave! I´ll let you know when I need the new pads.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts