BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not certain what the finish is. THese are HRE's with factory finish (not redone outside of HRE).

During shipping there was no protection on the rim lips so the cardboard ground the finish pretty good.

What is my best bet on getting these things polished out....will just wax do it?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you can feel it with your fingernail prob no paint (colour) there to buff.
To polish it would need a cutting compound like menzerna or meguiars, then a polish then a wax/sealant to protect.
Does look too far gone though.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
That looks pretty bad brother. I don't think those scratches will come out...... As above poster said, do the fingernail test.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I would start with the least aggressive buffing compound you have and work your way up if that doesn't work. You should get a pretty good idea of the severity pretty quickly, and of course stop before making it worse!

Let's see some pics of the entire wheel!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to get over to my storage area and do the fingernail test. Pretty sure when I was rubbing on them they were a bit rough in spots. Can't beilive cardboard did that.

Can't believe they were packed that way, but you win some and lose some. Seems in the wheel world I constantly lose. Haha.

I will get some pics when I can, but they can be seen in this thread on the previous members car:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/pa...arting-out-lots-e39-m5-performance-parts.html

Really sucky thing is that they are multipiece so it's not just an easy blast and powdercoat to redo them.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Bob what are you doing with the wheels you had on the car @ Timmayfest last year?

·
Registered
647 Posts
A little OT, but the seller didn't even bother to give them a quick wash before packing them? hmmm

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seller worked with me well, and while it is obviously a packing snafu, some people just don't know. He told me he 'shipped a set of LM's the same way'

Anyone familiar with LM's will know they have a machined lip and a very small raised aread on the lip making a situation like this virtually impossible.

It is what it is.

Hdhnter23 - I have the wheels.. I'm very hesitant to sell them, just because it is so handy to have an extra set around....not sure what I want to do with them yet. Honestly if you found me another set of 19's that are e39 offset with tires (hold air and are hwy safe) I'd probably trade you pretty close to even up. I like the wheels, but am not particularily attached to them. The fronts are bald, the rears are generic but in good shape.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts