1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah I noticed the same thing re: the M5. Also seems odd that those cars lost control like that? That first wagon looked to be modern, so I would assume it had ABS? Looks like they pulled the damn handbrake.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I'm all for less of this monitoring thing but I cant blame the camera for the accidents. At least not the ones in this video.

If they slow down and crash like that, then that means they can't drive in the first place. I always wondered why during driver's ed, they never teach how to properly do an emergency stop. Surely they wouldnt teach you from 120mph, but still.

·
Registered
601 Posts
never the less ......... wrecked car for what ??... a crying shame ... the answer isnt slow everyone down .. just KEEP MORONS off the road completely ........ that would do more to keep accidents down .... just limit driving to those that can ........ and not just barely ...........

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quite the conundrum... its like high speed police chases which normally end with injury/ property damage. You could say, well if the cops didnt chase, then they wouldnt run. Well, if they werent running, the cops wouldnt chase. Imagine how much worse things would be if crooks knew that cops wouldnt chase, or if speeders (like us) knew we didnt have to worry about highway speed traps.

·
Registered
601 Posts
well ........... something there .........but if you can see for miles and traffic is not heavy and not in town ....... they Id say let them go quick ....... granted Im biased but in those conditons I really dont honestly feel unsafe ... .... traffic get heavy or you cant see a head or its in town then YES SLOW down ...

I guess you cant legislate comon sense ..........so here we are ........

·
Registered
877 Posts
well ........... something there .........but if you can see for miles and traffic is not heavy and not in town ....... they Id say let them go quick ....... granted Im biased but in those conditons I really dont honestly feel unsafe ... .... traffic get heavy or you cant see a head or its in town then YES SLOW down ...

Preachin' to the choir man... I also dont think any of us (since we are such incredible drivers in incredible machines) would fly off the road if we got gunned doing triple digits...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
nope, not me, haven't been over & a RHD, but looks like a '99 E39 M5...

...just one more example of how comfortable, stable, and pleasureble it is to cruise along in the ultmate driving machine...

HA- at 150mph Sunday I couldn't even read the GPS, of course, that's my old eyes...

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I won't be surprise if they do this in the U.S
They're doin' it in Phoenix, Chris ... Saw it on the news a couple of months back. They're monitoring the more "dangerous" stretches" of freeway. (Camera mounted in a truck as well.)

·
Registered
571 Posts

I agree 100%. If you kill yourself, don't take anyone else with you! Can you say Interstate 280, Sunday morning, 4am to about 7am? :hihi:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
This is like all those intersections where they put up red light cameras. T-bone accidents might go down but the number of rear enders go up dramatically.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oddly enough, I don't mind red light camera's one bit. Here they have signs well before the intersection to let people know they are there. To me a red light ticket is the easiest thing to void. Don't tailgate, don't enter the intersection when you'll get stuck.

Speed camera's on the other hand... especially mobile ones. Hate the very idea of them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
People need to be smart and slow down gracefully. I really don't like it when I see people on the phone while driving. One of the biggest distractions ever created while driving or not.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Oddly enough, I don't mind red light camera's one bit. Here they have signs well before the intersection to let people know they are there. To me a red light ticket is the easiest thing to void. Don't tailgate, don't enter the intersection when you'll get stuck.

Speed camera's on the other hand... especially mobile ones. Hate the very idea of them.
I agree except for 1 thing. For the most part, intersections with red light cameras have shortened yellow lights compared to their adjacent non camera equipped lights. This is because most of the cameras are operated by contractors and they know they will catch a lot more folks if they shorten the yellow. Folks who know they can get thru an intersection if it is too dangerous to panic brake when the yellow hits will likely be caught in one of these intersections. Seems like entrapement to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts